Your First Look at LEGO Universe

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Your First Look at LEGO Universe

Apparently a virtual LEGO-themed online world is full of ninjas, pirates and rocketships. Who knew LEGOs could be so dangerous?

Choking on a LEGO piece is one of those phobias that you (or at least I) will never get over, but as it turns out, in a world where everything is made out of a block that a small child could swallow, the most hazardous thing is not choking on a piece of plastic. It's dealing with the evil ninjas and pirates who populate this world.

That's the impression I'm getting from these first screenshots of NetDevil's long-in-the-works LEGO Universe MMOG, which will debut in 2010 after numerous delays from its planned 2008 launch.

As you can see, in addition to the pirates and the ninjas, LEGO Universe boasts other things. The character creation screen lets you customize your "minifig" with looks and accessories collectible in the game. Apparently whoever took these screens decided to go for the "If Goku Were a Bum" / rock star hairdo for their character, but hey, I'm not gonna judge.

And since LEGOs are made for building things, LEGO Universe will appropriately feature building in some sort of fashion. Here you see a character managing some disgruntled construction workers making "an epic monument" that may or may not feature custom-designed rocket launchers.

"It wouldn't be LEGO Universe without building, and the game will feature several ways to use the iconic LEGO brick, from simple, gameplay oriented building challenges to complex creative designs," a press release declared.

Sounds like all the fun of LEGO without the constant threat of choking on tiny plastic blocks. Everybody wins!

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
An MMO that's primarily aimed at children? Someone call me when 4Chan raids it.

Seriously though, this looks like a great way to introduce children to MMOs. What a great way to turn our kids into social rejects even earlier in life!

I would not want to step on this world with bare feet.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yes but will they let you make giant phallic symbols with the Legos or make you stick to approved designs.

Roscoe_A

Aug 6, 2009
What happened to the good old day when you built your own city area...thing...that you would play in because you had an ungodly large amount of legos (I admit that i still have to rather large bins full of legos). Now we are building the same thing on computers. This just seems wrong. Go out and buy the legos and have more fun.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Zangamarth said:
I remember a Lego RPG, Lego Island... good times.
TaborMallory said:
Hmm, this looks strangely familiar.

...Oh yes, preempted by almost a decade.
Whoo, Yay! Someone else knows the love! Cheers to both of you.

So I now get to pay to have the same kind of epic fights on my computer as I do on my unused dining room table? Hmmm...Only if I can build Tyranosaur-mounted Lasers and Rockets. Or wage giant dinosaurs against modern civilization, space advernturers, pirates, miners, and underseas good-vs-evil guys (who have squids and sharks with mounted lasers and rockets). With some technic trucks and such doing all the labor and whatnot that they already do.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
And now for the question on everyone's mind...

Is it pay-to-play?
I don't think it will be p2p but I do believe it will have loads of DLC. "Mom, can I have the Harry Potter expansion for my birthday?"

Feb 13, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Who knew LEGOs could be so dangerous?[/B]
Anyone who's walked bare-footed at the same time as someone's building something.

The thing that narks me now about LEGO is that in The Olden Days (Cue Hovis music) each of the kits had simple blocks you could join up to make complicated shapes. Nowadays, with your whippersnappers and iphones and whatnot, all the complex shapes are pre-made: so you can't build anything with them that isn't what it says on the packet.

That upsets me.

HardRockSamurai said:
An MMO that's primarily aimed at children? Someone call me when 4Chan raids it.
I don't think they've got onto Fusion Fall (The Cartoon Network MMO) yet.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
TaborMallory said:
Hmm, this looks strangely familiar.

...Oh yes, preempted by almost a decade.
I loved that game sooo much. They should re-make it, But make it bigger!

Oh, OT...Ive seen my little brother play a game called "roblox"? It kinda looks like a lower Res version of this....Tbh im not really THAT impressed, But only time will tell if it will knock Star Trek of the top of my list of wanted MMO's

Crystal Cuckoo

Jan 6, 2009
I'll buy it if I don't have to subscribe to monthly fees.
Then wait until the Channers come alogn and soil all that is pure and innocent. :D