Super Smash Bros. 3DS Is Complete, And Nintendo Will Stream it For 8 Hrs as Proof

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Super Smash Bros. 3DS Is Complete, And Nintendo Will Stream it For 8 Hrs as Proof

To celebrate the launch of Super Smash Bros. for 3DS in Japan, Nintendo will stream 8 hours of footage from the final, English version.

For everyone lucky enough to live in Japan, Super Smash Bros. 3DS comes out this Saturday. The rest of the world will have to wait until October, but to tide you over, and to prove that the 3DS version is, in fact, 100% complete, Nintendo will be streaming 8 hours of Smash Bros. gameplay in the lead-up to its Japanese launch.

Nintendo of America just announced via Twitter [https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/509023406592122881] that via Twitch.tv it will be streaming a special Nintendo "Treehouse" event, that, as well as the extended look at the final Smash Bros. build, will also include gameplay from upcoming Wii U and 3DS titles. You can probably expect to see footage from Bayonetta 2, Pokemon: Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire and maybe even the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros..

The stream will start on September 12, though Nintendo did not mention a specific time. Some Japanese fans have already managed to get their hands on a preview version of the game's final build at special Japan-only hands-on events, and some new information [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137300-Super-Smash-Bros-3DS-Features-Wolf-Dixie-Kong-and-Alph-Alternate-Costumes] has already started to leak through.

I would assume that Nintendo would like to use this event to reveal any as-of-yet unannounced characters and features in the new game, so English-speaking fans don't have to turn to Japanese news sources to find out such information when the game launches this Saturday.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/509023406592122881]

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
All this does is bring up the question of if it's done already, why aren't we getting it sooner? I'm sure there's all kinds of business reason, but just wave it in front of my face why don't you, Nintendo.

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
Gatx said:
All this does is bring up the question of if it's done already, why aren't we getting it sooner? I'm sure there's all kinds of business reason, but just wave it in front of my face why don't you, Nintendo.
On an educated guess, they don't want to compete with Our Lord and Savior Destiny. Timing is everything.
(Disclaimer: I'm not a business expert).

On Topic: I'm curious to see how well the 3DS version holds up. Hopefully this will be a good indicator of quality.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I like it. It shows that they're confident with their final product. I wish more non-story driven games would do this.

Fsyco said:
Gatx said:
On an educated guess, they don't want to compete with Our Lord and Savior Destiny. Timing is everything.
(Disclaimer: I'm not a business expert).

On Topic: I'm curious to see how well the 3DS version holds up. Hopefully this will be a good indicator of quality.
Or maybe they're just ahead of schedule.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Gatx said:
Seeings as the Japanese version is launching this Saturday, i would probably say Translation is whats holding it up

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Gatx said:
Seeings as the Japanese version is launching this Saturday, i would probably say Translation is whats holding it up
It says "from the final, English version," in bold up there.

Bolt-206

Dec 6, 2010
Gatx said:
Steven Bogos said:
Gatx said:
It says "from the final, English version," in bold up there.
English and Japanese aren't the only languages in the world, however, and from the looks of it they're planning to release it in Europe and America at the same time.

(Not that Nintendo couldn't have already done the other languages and is just sticking to schedule, or are waiting for the copies to reach stores)

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
Gatx said:
Printing the copies and shipping takes a long time. It is not rare for a game to be done two/three months for release and this is mostly planned. the Japanese version was probably finished much sooner and at this point is being shipped to shops. Being Japanese developers they programmed the game with the Japanese text that is being used in the final product. so it understandable that that version is finished sooner.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I'm still wondering what's different between this launch, and say, Pokemon's commitment to making their launches uniformly global since they did it with XY. Did they just delay the Japanese launch until the other regions were ready?

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Gatx said:
Yes, the game itself is complete... but how many copies of that complete, english-translated game exist? Even after a game is finished, you have to worry about printing enough copies to go around, then selling them to stores, then shipping them worldwide.

THEN you have to worry about making sure everyone you sold them to has them before a predetermined release date, then you have to worry about pre-release advertising, then if the game is online-compatible, you have to make sure that the servers you're using are ready to withstand a sudden influx of players on the release date.

There are plenty of things to do, even after you finish making the game itself. Personally, I'm GLAD that Nintendo is making sure that they have all their ducks in a row BEFORE unleashing Smash on us.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Ok, I know Ninty wants to hype up everyone who won't be playing the Halo MMO nonstop when it comes out, but the title of the article gave me the feeling there were naysayers out the who didn't believe it would be out in time. What if more game companies start using streaming to hype up their upcoming games? I still can't shake the feeling that someone might try to pass off doctored game play (something like custom scripted actions from NPCs with the players carefully following their own script to make it look like real game play), though. Imagine if Gearbox did that to make Aliens: CM more believable. Now that's some "pass the popcorn and watch the chaos from a safe place" material right there.

more OT: Eh, I might watch this. I don't have a Wii U yet and Smash Bros is not gonna make me run out and buy one. I might as well check out the version I don't have to buy a new system to play.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
To celebrate the launch of Super Smash Bros. for 3DS in Japan, Nintendo will stream 8 hours of footage from the final, English version.
How do you know that? The announcement tweet said the final version, but they didn't specify which language's edition. It could very well be the soon to launch Japanese version.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Leemaster777 said:
Gatx said:
Yes, the game itself is complete... but how many copies of that complete, english-translated game exist? Even after a game is finished, you have to worry about printing enough copies to go around, then selling them to stores, then shipping them worldwide.

THEN you have to worry about making sure everyone you sold them to has them before a predetermined release date, then you have to worry about pre-release advertising, then if the game is online-compatible, you have to make sure that the servers you're using are ready to withstand a sudden influx of players on the release date.

There are plenty of things to do, even after you finish making the game itself. Personally, I'm GLAD that Nintendo is making sure that they have all their ducks in a row BEFORE unleashing Smash on us.
I get that, but really, do they need to take AN EXTRA MONTH for these things?! Their logistics seems pretty bad... It appears to me that Nintendo is always sitting on finished software for weeks (I?ve got that same sensation from Mario Kart 8). I don?t see it happening everywhere on the industry (holding hostage a game completely finished for a month), and it is not like there is an influx of content coming to the Wii U and 3DS lately...

So yeah, even if October is indeed the closer that they can secure an successful launch of the game, it is hard to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt as seeing the sheer incompetency that is their North American releases of the Wii U?s Virtual Console, taking MONTHS to make available a highly requested, DIGITAL, 8-bit retro game (SMB 3) that was already available in other regions.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Gatx said:
I mean, you still have to account for getting a substantial amount of physical copies getting made, shipping said copies to various countries, and having the humongous variety of stores in said countries getting a good enough stock supply of said game.

That's how it is with basically all games with a physical presence.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Big_Boss_Mantis said:
I get that, but really, do they need to take AN EXTRA MONTH for these things?! Their logistics seems pretty bad...
Yeah, they do need an extra month to do those things. Do you know how many things can go wrong when your shipping ads, physical copies, products, etc. around the world at almost the same time? Anything can happen from carrier delay to damaged products. In business, you don't do shit at the last second.

It appears to me that Nintendo is always sitting on finished software for weeks (I?ve got that same sensation from Mario Kart 8). I don?t see it happening everywhere on the industry (holding hostage a game completely finished for a month), and it is not like there is an influx of content coming to the Wii U and 3DS lately...
That's a load of bullshit. Every single company including Nintendo has finished products sitting in warehouses or are in back stock at game and retailer stores for months before getting released. How do you think those physical copy GTAV leaks happened?

So yeah, even if October is indeed the closer that they can secure an successful launch of the game,
Are you kidding me with this? Nintendo has successfully launched physical copies of videogames for 20+ fucking years with relatively zero hiccups along the way.

it is hard to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt as seeing the sheer incompetency that is their North American releases of the Wii U?s Virtual Console, taking MONTHS to make available a highly requested, DIGITAL, 8-bit retro game (SMB 3) that was already available in other regions.
That probably has a lot more to do with NoA having a backlog of shit to do than Nintendo themselves. Nintendo Treehouse aren't game slaves. They have other schedules to work on and an 8bit videogame has a lot less priority on the line than the newest Bayonetta 2 or Pokemon game release.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Dragonbums said:
That's a load of bullshit. Every single company including Nintendo has finished products sitting in warehouses or are in back stock at game and retailer stores for months before getting released. How do you think those physical copy GTAV leaks happened?
I can't help but feel people wouldn't be accusing Nintendo of sitting on finished hardware if they released it HERE first instead of in Japan. Seriously, NA doesn't need preferential treatment all the time; we have it easy considering how badly Europe and others get screwed over.

Sillarra

I have no idea how I got here.
Aug 14, 2014
Big_Boss_Mantis said:
I don?t see it happening everywhere on the industry (holding hostage a game completely finished for a month), and it is not like there is an influx of content coming to the Wii U and 3DS lately...
It may not happen everywhere, but Ubisoft did sit on Rayman Legends for 7 months just so that they could do simultaneous release. But then again, it's Ubisoft.

OT: Great to hear this game finally comes out. I'm not much of a fan of Smash, but I had a load of fun when I played Brawl at my friend's house a few years ago. I plan to buy a Wii U early next year and this will be one of the games I will pick up to play with my brother.