Rumor: Warner Bros. Plans Legion of Superheroes Movie?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Rumor: Warner Bros. Plans Legion of Superheroes Movie?

Will DC Comics original teenage space heroes come to the big screen?

Disney and Marvel Studios may have won praise and box-office gold with their some not. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/marvel%20cinematic%20universe]

Now, it's possible that the timeline may become even more complicated. The diligent rumor-hunters at Latino Review are reporting a rumor that Warner Bros (which controls all potential DC Comics movie properties) has begun sending comics [http://www.latino-review.com/news/hot-rumor-dc-puts-legion-of-superheroes-into-active-development] from DC's long-running Legion of Superheroes franchise to screenwriters throughout the industry, seeking different writers takes on how the property might be brought to the screen. While this would not guarantee that a Legion film is in the offing, it would indicate that the project is at least being considered.

With stories taking place in the 31st Century of the pre-"New 52" DC Universe, The Legion is a vast alliance of both human and alien teenage superheroes whose youthful adventurous spirit and often emotionally-charged interpersonal drama often stood in stark contrast to the stern, decidedly-grownup "major" heroes of the DC pantheon. The characters originally debuted in 1958's Adventure Comics #247 as time-travelers who put Superboy (aka then-teenage Clark Kent) through a membership-tryout that is ultimately revealed to be a test of humility for the legendary figure The Legion considers its historic predecessor.

Of note: Because the Legion stories take place mainly in the future of the mainstream DC Universe, their history and status-quo has been radically altered multiple times in order to reflect changes to the present-day DCU canon. Between that and the fact that there have been well over a hundred members of The Legion throughout the decades (with names like Lightning Lad, Shadow Lass, Bouncing Boy, Karate Kid, Saturn Girl and more); any prospective film would have no shortage of material from which to draw. An animated series [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecpvn-D0dt0] based on the comics previously ran for two seasons on Kids WB.

Source: Latino Review [http://www.latino-review.com/news/hot-rumor-dc-puts-legion-of-superheroes-into-active-development]

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
Rumor: DC/Warner Bros really wants to replicated Guardians of the Galaxy's success with their own cosmic story populated by lesser known heroes.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
A no jokes version of Legion of Superheroes would drain all the color out of the concept til it'd be no fun to watch. Half of what made the Legion fun to read was that it was as much campy as it was semi-serious. How do you grim-dark Bouncing Boy? Matter-Eater Lad?

lvramire

Nov 11, 2010
This might be an unpopular opinion but I'm kinda tired of 'what feels' like a glut of superhero movies of late. Maybe I just got older or something but I don't get anywhere near the kind of joy I used to get watching them when I was younger.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
That... sounds like a good idea.

I wonder how WB and their "we want no jokes" policy can pull of someone like Karate Kid or Bouncing Boy. Here is hope that it will be successful and that leads to the fire of that guy that said "Martian Manhunter is a stupid name"...

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
There are so many ways that this could be done well and the LSH are one of my favourites, so potentially great news. The one thing they really really really really (really) shouldn't do is make it like Man of Steel and I say that as someone who liked Man of Steel.

mrverbal

May 23, 2008
This might be the dumbest thing anyone has tried to make into a film.

The legion of superheroes is just the name they use in polite company; the full name is the legion of really fucking shithouse heroes. I mean, you have superboy, superboy for whom lead is kryptonite (which seems fairly instantly fatal), a couple of mid-power heroes like lightning lad, and then just dross. Utter, utter dross.

I mean, I'd like to meet triplicate girl and get jiggy with all three of her, but it's not what you'd call an a-list superpower.

Plus, grimdarking this story is just...oh, the awful can barely be imagined.

perhaps DC have decided that the only way to stop marvel making all this movie money is to make superhero films so god-awful that they poison the well for everyone.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Maybe they should concentrate on the next Superman movie not blowing and making a Justice League, plus any (good) tie-in films to flesh out the characters, or maybe they should do what Marvel hasn't done yet, a superhero film with a female lead, AKA that Wonder Woman movie that keeps getting shot down. IMHO, DC should do a Blackest Night[footnote]If they never get to making the Justice League feature, Blackest Night will probably need some films to build up to it like what was done for Avengers, but if done right, it could be not just one awesome movie but a trilogy that might blow the Avengers out of the water. Though, it's DC were talking about, so don't expect it to be good even if they did make it.[/footnote] or Teen Titans before this.

Marvel only did Guardians because they're running out of A-list and B-list characters the movie crowd hasn't seen (at all or in several years). Right now the Marvel brand is strong in cinemas, while DC has the finished Nolanverse Batman trilogy, a couple mediocre Supes films and some total duds to show for in the past ten years. Marvel could fill seats with their name alone, but, unless this becomes a runaway hit by some miracle, DC still has much work to do before the can get Joe Public to pay to see something about superheroes he's never heard of ever.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Marvel released the below for even attempting Guardians:

Iron Man
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America, First Avenger
The Avengers
Iron Man 3
Thor 2: TDW
Captain America 3: TWS

That's NINE films, all of which were more or less both a box office and critical success.

DC:Even the most committed Marvel fans would like to see you create a good non-Batman film. However, until you can bring Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern to the big screen successfully, don't even attempt to capitalise on GOTG. It will fail.

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
Sounds like a cool idea, I know they should focus on the main stuff first but this is Warner Bros. They are a massive film company they have the ability to do lots of projects at once. I mean, let's be honest here they are just looking at script writers like they are only just having some scripts written for Aquaman and the Shazam movie from the sounds of it is ages off. I think the main plan here is spend small amounts of money in the pre production stage getting ideas ready so (hopefully) when the Dawn of Justice and Justice League make a lot of money they can follow them up with movies who have entered production near the end of the other movies release.

Also side note, please DC do not call the Justice League movie "Justice League of America", it is stupid and you are just damaging the international appeal of the brand. Nothing wrong with the name but Justice League is all you need especially when your team has an Atlantean, an Amazonian and a Kryptonian on it.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Assuming this is true: Add one more check mark in the "This is clearly trying to copy the success of Guardians of the Galaxy" column. Warner Brothers, you really don't get it, do you? This isn't even funny anymore. It's pathetic.

What I want to see is a Superman reboot (yeah, I know, there've been too many, but hear me out) that doesn't include his back-story. Because EVERYONE knows it. Even newborn babies. Then have him be called to fight an enemy that poses a threat to multiple planets OTHER than (or including) Earth. That way you have the potential for a villain who's powerful enough to pose a threat to Superman, you don't have to clumsily explain why something that powerful would bother threatening a place as insignificant as Earth (seriously, Zod, you could have terraformed Mars and Superman probably would've been willing to lend you the genetic samples you needed), and you can let Superman go complete Goku on the villain without him looking like an asshole who doesn't care about collateral damage.

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
Oh no.. no no no. Please, whatever deities or cosmic entities you hold dear, do not let them do this. I love Legion of Superheroes because it's usually been light and hopeful. When characters like Bouncing Boy and Matter Eater Lad not only members, but they are fully rounded and fleshed out (no pun intended) and not just throw away comic relief. If someone would give the movie the Guardians or Avengers treatment it deserves, pick one of the more positive and happy versions of the team and go with that, it would be great. But they won't. They'll have another grimdark, realistic and gritty version of the characters.And when the Legion went grimdark, it was terrible, and they were the worst runs of the various series. That's not even personal opinion of mine, but the general consensus of the fan base.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
This won't be cohesive, but these are some of my thoughts:

First of all, the Legion (depending on which continuity you're looking at) has only ever had at most "near a hundred" members, not "well over" or even just "over." "Well over" can apply to relevant characters at their disposal, but not, strictly speaking, members. But with a team that generally averages 20 to 30 members at any given time, WB would likely focus-group and market-test all the characters to select 6-8 members, offering only cameos from any others.

Legion on screen might work with the right people passionate enough to produce and write it... IF WB's management and marketing stayed out of their way and trusted them to do it. But if their current behavior is any indication, they won't. James Gunn succeeded with GotG because he CARED about it and the fans. Most people involved with the DC films have made it clear they don't really care all that much about more than making money. The rest is PR to them.

Smallville managed to get the 3 founding members' characterizations and costuming "basics" right over all... even if the story was awful. Persuader was an interesting appearance too.

The "no jokes" edict could likely result in a lack of "Substitute Heroes" or any kind of tryouts to give such characters a cameo. Can't even imagine them willing to cast Chuck Taine or Tenzil Kem.

I'm quick to say DC is reactionary to Marvel and constantly learning the wrong lessons from Marvel's successes. (The evidence is there, but I really don't have time to cite it or rehash my theories about it right now.)
But I have loved the Legion just a few years longer than I've even known about X-men. (DC cancelling the title was the beginning of the end of my faith in them.) So I WANT this to happen AND be GOOD! I'm disappointed that I have no faith it will be.

You grow up thinking, "in the future..." and then it gets here and you think, "...well that didn't meet my expectations."
And that's what is so strange... the stuff I loved growing up has mostly failed me on screen.
Maybe that's the problem. Being the long-time fan. With everything Marvel has gotten right in the MCU, it's been primarily with characters from titles I never collected.
But then I didn't collect Superman ever. That didn't help me appreciate MoS at all so... maybe it's not JUST me.

I just wish I could be excited about this news instead of dread it.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
*Crosses Fingers*

Please include Arm Fall of Boy, Please include Arm Fall Off Boy!

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
If Warner Bros isn't ready to put the Martian Manhunter to film, or at least to give the guy some consideration, then they aren't ready to embrace the Legion.

And if they are, it will be a cold cynical attempt to copy the succes of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
I loved The Legion and still have many issues bagged in a closet. Seems like DC are swinging for the teen crowd here. Why aim here? Why not a Teen Titans shot? The characters are more familiar to most folks. They just have to work out where they want to place Cyborg.

Oh well. If they do make this--make it light. Have the Legion of Substitute Superheroes make a cameo. I have always argued (badly) that having Color Kid's power to change the color of things would be awesome. Infectious Girl not so much.

I will give the LoSH credit for having a pretty good nemesis. The Fatal Five were always a good set of bad guys.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
Clankenbeard said:
I loved The Legion and still have many issues bagged in a closet. Seems like DC are swinging for the teen crowd here. Why aim here? Why not a Teen Titans shot? The characters are more familiar to most folks. They just have to work out where they want to place Cyborg.

Oh well. If they do make this--make it light. Have the Legion of Substitute Superheroes make a cameo. I have always argued (badly) that having Color Kid's power to change the color of things would be awesome. Infectious Girl not so much.

I will give the LoSH credit for having a pretty good nemesis. The Fatal Five were always a good set of bad guys.
They've already decided that Cyborg is better suited to the Justice League. (They've cast Ray Fisher in the DoJ role, who has negligible acting experience, none notable on film.) Growing up on The New Teen Titans, it's not an opinion I share.

And... I can't believe anyone shares my appreciation for Color Kid's power. That's astonishing.
You might watch the "Hiding in the Light" episode of NDT's Cosmos to hone your argument; a lot of very interesting science applications.

But even if they were to do Subs (they won't, see opinions above,) I would be highly surprised if they include him. They included him in about 5 episodes of the LoSH toon though... so he's gotten more exposure than some might expect.