Smash Bros. 3DS Demo Launches Today for Some, Goes Public Next Week

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Smash Bros. 3DS Demo Launches Today for Some, Goes Public Next Week

Nintendo has given a handful of Platinum-level Club Nintendo members early access to the eagerly-awaited game's demo, with everyone else getting their mitts on it Sept. 19.

Anticipation is mounting for both the 3DS and Wii U installments of Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. series, and Nintendo has given a select number of fans a taste of the upcoming 3DS version today. <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/12/6140917/super-smash-bros-demo-hits-today-for-some-next-week-for-all>Polygon reports that, during Nintendo's eight-hour Treehouse livestream today, a few Platinum-level members of the Club Nintendo program were emailed four 3DS download codes for the upcoming demo of Super Smash Bros.. The demo, which launches to the North American public via Nintendo's eShop on Sept. 19, will feature the classic Battlefield stage and the characters Mario, Link, Pikachu, Villager and Mega Man.

To be eligible for the early access code, Club Nintendo members had to achieve Platinum status between July 1, 2013, and and June 30, 2014. In addition, they had to register their 3DS software or hardware with Nintendo and opted to receive emails from Club Nintendo.

If you know somebody with early access to the demo, you can play along with them on your own 3DS through local wireless. While the version of the demo given out to Club Nintendo members can be played an unlimited number of times, the one that will be made public on the eShop can only be opened a maximum of 30 times. Some retail locations will also have copies of the demo a day early, on Sept. 18.

If you're curious about what characters you can play as in the upcoming game, you can check out our article on <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137378-Super-Smash-Bros-3DS-Fan-Streaming-Early-Gameplay-Character-Leaks>a fan unlocking the brawlers on his early copy. Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS will be released in North America and Europe on Oct. 3, with the Wii U version to follow in the fourth quarter of 2014.

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/12/6140917/super-smash-bros-demo-hits-today-for-some-next-week-for-all>Polygon

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
...I wish I would have gotten the demo from the Club Nintendo Platinum rewards, seeing as I was a Platinum Member within the time frame. I checked my email though, and it appears I've gotten a whopping Jack and Shit of nothing. Well screw me for getting Platinum membership and owning all of the games that you were offering before Nintendo. T^T
Otherwise than that, I'll have to budget how I play the demo, so as to not run out of uses for it.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Friend of mine gave me and my sister a code, gonna be a fun night tonight, time to see if it plays well on 3DS.

Neronium said:
Otherwise than that, I'll have to budget how I play the demo, so as to not run out of uses for it.
Apparently, this demo has unlimited uses (might just be for the week early codes, not sure)
Well you have codes, and sadly I get jack shit. I'm sad now! T^T
*is wearing his Smash Bros T-Shirt that was won by the San Diego Comic Con*
I just really want to play the game myself dammit. T^T

Edit: Thanks for the code offers, but someone already gave me a code. Again, thanks to everyone offering. :3

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Got a demo code from some kind soul on the internet so I've given it a bash. It's quite fun, although it's odd not playing Smash on a Gamecube controller =P

Also, Mega Man's quite fun to play as, and I died a lot as Villager thanks to his B+Right >.<

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Already played a couple of games as pikachu, and he feels pretty nicely buffed. Thunder can now go through platforms you're below (a huge buff for the move), and his final smash is so much easier to control. I'm very happy with how he plays.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Only four characters and one stage, but still this thing is crazy fun. I didn't expect to care, but been having a blast playing as Mega Man, and getting used to his unique style. So different from the SSB playstyles I'm used to from the past.

In fact, I had thought I was over the SSB series entirely.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
My buddy got me in. It's really awkward at first but once you get into it it's solid. Having a grandiose time with my main man Link, rockin' that water tunic.
Jumwa said:
been having a blast playing as Mega Man
If this was intentional, I salute you.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Artemicion said:
My buddy got me in. It's really awkward at first but once you get into it it's solid. Having a grandiose time with my main man Link, rockin' that water tunic.
Jumwa said:
been having a blast playing as Mega Man
If this was intentional, I salute you.
It's the bomb!

I won't be feelin' blue this Friday night!

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
It's super fun.

Feels good to just duke it out with three lvl 9 bots like in the olden days.

Can't wait for my friends to get it next week so we can all bash each other's faces in.

Also, I really hope the full version of the game comes with rebindable controls. I've had dodge on left shoulder and grab with right, because that's where the Z button always was on Gamecube.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hm...I've been toying with the idea of getting this for the 3DS since I'm not interested in a Wii U. I guess a demo will be the perfect way to test the waters...Christ, this almost feels novel now. Doesn't that say a lot.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
I tried checking gamefaqs and twitter for codes, but they're either all US-only codes, or codes that expects EU codes/other stuff to trade for them. the rest are just reused codes from hated fansites like Nintendomination. so think theescapist would have yet another banner claiming free code, but then it turns out to be a raffle? same thing happened with Destiny and some sort of iPad and even Guild Wars 2, something involving following on Facebook, twitter, instagram and mass retweeting. (not insulting...just don't go that direction for Smash, where the codes were pretty much handed out freely in the first place)

Apparently i never registered the 3ds. guess i can save it for the ORAS/Smash promo. shame they don't just unlock the free-use version by default for people who is on the Nintendo Ambassador Program from years ago, would feel nice.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
I watched a Lvl. 9 Villager CPU fight during the demo.You should've seen it Lloid Rocket ,Pocket/Unpocket and Bowling Ball waws the rhythm of the fight.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
A friend of mine gave me a code. I feel there's many people who'd get more out of it than I would, honestly. Then again, it's probably the same for another friend he gave a code to...the guy's hardly a Nintendo fan, and that's coming from me. All I play from Nintendo is Pokemon. This guy was raised PC.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Semi-DemiFiend said:
I watched a Lvl. 9 Villager CPU fight during the demo.You should've seen it Lloid Rocket ,Pocket/Unpocket and Bowling Ball waws the rhythm of the fight.

That's amazing. When I was recording I actually got a lot of the damn Golden Beetles, and those caused me to lose. I also got a Blue Shell to appear, and one of the Pokeballs that was thrown ended up having Arceus come out...that wasn't fun. Another thing not fun was rendering a 60 FPS video; I now remember why I don't do that. :3

Kalak

Feb 25, 2010
I was so close to platinum this year too, guess ill just wait for release, october isnt that far away

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I've had some good fun with it so far. It's nice that I can get some practice in with my main, Link, and trying out Mega Man and Villager was pretty neat. I am glad they really limited the content, I would hate to have too much access to the game before actually playing it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I didn't get one either. I reached Platinum status.

Then again, I've never gotten a beta code either.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Got mine by having the redeem code page open and waiting for people on /v/ to post their extra codes.

Villager is amazing if you can plan correctly and hit them with the devastating tree moves, Mega-Man's alright but I wouldn't play him often and I like the buffs Link, Mario and Pikachu have been given. Now time to practice so I don't get humiliated when I play online for the first time.