You Can Use Your 3DS As a Wii U Controller in Super Smash Bros.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
You Can Use Your 3DS As a Wii U Controller in Super Smash Bros.

This feature, as well as the ability to transfer custom fighters, is the only connectivity the two versions of Super Smash Bros. will have.

Japanese gamers have been playing the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros. this week and have all but confirmed all the secret characters [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137378-Super-Smash-Bros-3DS-Fan-Streaming-Early-Gameplay-Character-Leaks]. But, GameStop has revealed a different kind of feature, namely, what the "connectivity" between the 3DS and Wii U versions of the games will consist of. It looks like 3DS gamers will be able to transfer custom character data, and use their 3DS unit as a controller for the Wii U version of the game.

Earlier, game director Masahiro Sakurai did confirm that the two versions would not be able to play together directly, but did not outline what the connectivity options would be. The transfer of custom fighters most likely refers to the custom-Mii fighters, as well as regular fighters customized with power-ups earned in the 3DS-exclusive "Smash Run" mode [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126336-Super-Smash-Bros-3DS-And-Wii-U-Drops-Story-Mode].

I suppose the good news is that players who hone their skills using the 3DS's control scheme ahead of the Wii U launch will be able to show of those skills on the big screen, and it would also help out new Wii U owners that haven't shelled out for four controllers yet.

However, I can't imagine many Smash Bros. veterans would opt for this option over the GameCube controller adapter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134900-Nintendo-is-Making-a-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-for-the-Wii-U].

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/super-smash-bros-wii-u-will-let-you-use-your-3ds-a/1100-6422301/]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
See this is cool. I never understood why Nintendo never tried what Sony does with the Vita for the 3DS. For me personally, I'll be just using the GameCube controller and adapter. I'd consider this, if I could use a Circle Pad Pro, which would make 3DS control easier, but eh beggers can't be chooser.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be questioning Nintendo on where my download codes are since I met all the requirements for them, but still haven't received them yet. T^T

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Neronium said:
See this is cool. I never understood why Nintendo never tried what Sony does with the Vita for the 3DS. For me personally, I'll be just using the GameCube controller and adapter. I'd consider this, if I could use a Circle Pad Pro, which would make 3DS control easier, but eh beggers can't be chooser.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be questioning Nintendo on where my download codes are since I met all the requirements for them, but still haven't received them yet. T^T
Well... I've got one left if you're still in need of it.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Semi-DemiFiend said:
Well... I've got one left if you're still in need of it.
Thanks for the offer, but another person gave me a code. The internet can be a nice place. :3
Still, I qualified for everything, and my notifications were on. Nintendo emailed me back and told me that I wasn't getting a code, which is odd due to me meeting all the requirements. Oh well. I say save that code and make someone's day with it. :3

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
As someone who has played the 3DS demo, I can safely say that this is a unique and interesting feature that I most definitely will not be making use of.

Props to Nintendo for the idea, though. Maybe Sony can do that with the Vita to make the PS4-U.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Artemicion said:
As someone who has played the 3DS demo, I can safely say that this is a unique and interesting feature that I most definitely will not be making use of.

Props to Nintendo for the idea, though. Maybe Sony can do that with the Vita to make the PS4-U.
I wouldn't be surprised if people found ways to hack it so that the Vita gets picked up by the Wii U. You could use the wireless 360 headsets on the Wii by syncing them together via bluetooth signal, which isn't too hard. Really sad nowadays how the Vita is nothing more than a PS4 controller, but Sony has themselves to blame for a lot of that.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Meanwhile, I'm just irked that freaking GameStop got to make this announcement. Nintendo, honestly, Gamestop is NOT your (or any publisher's) friend. Please stop giving them exclusives and now apparently brand new announcements. They need to be knocked down a few pegs, not given more opportunities to swell their already iron-fisted grip on the gaming industry.

Edit: As for the actual topic at hand, I don't really consider it much of a boon. Maybe it's just me, but the 3DS gets painful to hold for even as little as a half hour or so, much-less the 2-or-more-hour gaming sessions that I tend to pour into Smash Bros. It might be a nice feature for those who are comfortable holding a 3DS for long durations (depending on if they prefer how it controls on 3DS or not), but I'll stick to the Wavebird, thanks.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Oh, that's nice. I was kinda expecting it but It'll be handy when I'm with friends and they don't have spare WUU controllers. The Vita has kinda spoiled me for stuff like this.

Wait, people have SPARE smash codes? how does that happen? *cough* I'm in the EU if anyone's interested *cough*

Robert Kalmar

Feb 3, 2012
TheEvilCheese said:
Oh, that's nice. I was kinda expecting it but It'll be handy when I'm with friends and they don't have spare WUU controllers. The Vita has kinda spoiled me for stuff like this.

Wait, people have SPARE smash codes? how does that happen? *cough* I'm in the EU if anyone's interested *cough*
I have actually 2 spare EU download code, if anyone is interested PM me. The game is absolutely fun even on the 3DS! It requires a little time to get used to the small models, but after a while you won't even notice how small everything is. I'm playing on an XL model, can't talk about how fun is it on the original models small screen...

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
I joined Club Nintendo earlier this year when they had the "Buy Mario Kart 8, get Wind Waker HD (or one of a couple other games of your choice) for free!" deal. Pretty good deal! I was super-jazzed when a friend of mine told me they were giving out early Smash Bros. demo access to Club Nintendo members, but then super-bummed when I found out it was only for Premium level members, and only a few of them at that. That's a lot of product registration. I guess I'll just have to wait like everyone else. Sadface.

I've actually been more hyped for this game after watching people play the Japanese version over the past couple days than I was during the entire pre-release hype cycle. Seems like it's been improved quite a bit since the E3 demo that left several people less than impressed. Definitely going to pick up the WiiU version, but I'm still on the fence about the 3DS one... maybe that demo next week will push me over the edge.

Duck Hunt 4 eva!

GalacticPrettyBoy

Sep 13, 2014
Robert Kalmar said:
TheEvilCheese said:

I have actually 2 spare EU download code, if anyone is interested PM me. The game is absolutely fun even on the 3DS! It requires a little time to get used to the small models, but after a while you won't even notice how small everything is. I'm playing on an XL model, can't talk about how fun is it on the original models small screen...

Is it comfortable playing with an XL?

Fodder Aplenty

Nov 3, 2011
Having not played it on the 3ds, I can only imagine it not being comfortable. still, nice to have the option I suppose.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
God damn it I am like 90 gold away from being Plat. Can't get a code for the demo >.<

anyways this is great news. Only person in my group that has a WiiU. Everyone else has 3DS's. This works just fine.

Robert Kalmar

Feb 3, 2012
GalacticPrettyBoy said:
Robert Kalmar said:
TheEvilCheese said:

Is it comfortable playing with an XL?
Well, i didn't had a GameCube or GameCube controller, so i can't compare it to the 3DS, but i had no problem with the controls. This is coming from someone who prefers piano play style in fighting games. At first i couldn't see anything properly, because how small everything is, but after half an hour i got used to it and didn't himpered my fun in any way. I wanted to buy only the Wii U version, but the demo made me think about buying both. Y NO CROSSBUY NINTENDO?

Robert Kalmar

Feb 3, 2012
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
You mean I can use the most uncomfortable to hold device of all time to play a game? ...yay...
Uhh what? I have no problem holding my DS Lite or 3DS XL. It's not as comfy as the PSP (until you plug in a charge cable), but it's way ahead of the Vita (because of the rear touch pad) and the only time it was uncomfortable to play was when i played Metroid Prime Hunters and Kid Icarus. You must be doing something wrong maybe?...