The History of Dungeons & Dragons in Video Games, Part One

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The History of Dungeons & Dragons in Video Games, Part One

As long as there's been Dungeons & Dragons there's been people trying to turn it into video games. In the first part of a two part series, we take a look at some of the earliest games to bear the D&D license.

Read Full Article

FavouredEnemy

Oct 16, 2007
You appear to have missed 'Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance', which was fun and engaging enough for me at 13, even if the wiki article says it was pretty shoddy.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
FavouredEnemy said:
You appear to have missed 'Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance', which was fun and engaging enough for me at 13, even if the wiki article says it was pretty shoddy.
Didn't miss it! Just haven't gotten to it yet! I cut off around 1995ish I believe.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I remember having a bunch of those old D&D games as a kid (Eye of the Beholder and Pools of Radiance if memory serves).
I was completely terrible at them because I had never really played the tabletop game at the time and I didn't quite get the rules that they were using.

Slightly off topic, but the cover art here.
That's Deathwing is it not?
That's an odd choice for an article about D&D in games innit?

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I've got a couple of games on my wishlist now, thanks to this article :) Just bought Warriors of the Eternal Sun, it's always nice having new games for my Mega Drive!

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Right off the bat epic fail: Listing image is of Deathwing the Destroyer, a.k.a. the 2008 World of Warcraft expansion's villain...
So, way to not grab a pic of Tiamat or similar from Tyranny of Dragons (or sth from 1st edition DM art). :\

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
Kenjitsuka said:
Right off the bat epic fail: Listing image is of Deathwing the Destroyer, a.k.a. the 2008 World of Warcraft expansion's villain...
So, way to not grab a pic of Tiamat or similar from Tyranny of Dragons (or sth from 1st edition DM art). :\
Ninja'd! Good eye. I saw that and came here to say the Exact same thing!

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
a Mega Drive and a hankering to play an RPG besides Phantasy Star.
Or the three Shining games.
Or Landstalker.
Or Beyond Oasis (aka Story of Thor)
Or Shadowrun
Or Soleil/Crusader of Centy
Or Uncharted Waters
Or any other Mega Drive RPG.
Articles written by people who had a SNES and have (at best) surface knowledge of Mega Drive's library are always so bloody obvious it's not even funny. Just follow the dismissive tone.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
RealRT said:
a Mega Drive and a hankering to play an RPG besides Phantasy Star.
Or the three Shining games.
Or Landstalker.
Or Beyond Oasis (aka Story of Thor)
Or Shadowrun
Or Soleil/Crusader of Centy
Or Uncharted Waters
Or any other Mega Drive RPG.
Articles written by people who had a SNES and have (at best) surface knowledge of Mega Drive's library are always so bloody obvious it's not even funny. Just follow the dismissive tone.
Absolutely no dismissiveness intended. Just trying to put across that it's a less well known game. Your point is valid though, so I tweaked it a bit. Thanks for the input. :)

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
StewShearer said:
Absolutely no dismissiveness intended. Just trying to put across that it's a less well known game. Your point is valid though, so I tweaked it a bit. Thanks for the input. :)
Sorry for being too grumpy on the matter.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I remember some of these games, though most I played as 'collections' or 'abandon ware'.

I was first a PC gamer, then a NES-To-PS2 gamer, then a PC gamer again.

I admit it wasn't until Final Fantasy 1 that I started to look back at older PC (and non-PC) RPGs as 'must plays'.

I'm also of the camp that all the DragonLance games are worth playing.
-Even if some of the controls are a bit retarded.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
RealRT said:
StewShearer said:
Sorry for being too grumpy on the matter.
No worries!

Your post definitely instilled in me how many Sega console RPGs I need to play, at least. I actually have a copy of Warsong for Genesis sitting in my office that I intend to review some time...

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
As someone who has never really played D&D proper, I was more of a DragonLance/RIFTS player, do the Baulder's Gate/IceWind Dale games count as 'proper' D&D games?

ZedOmega

Nothing To See Here
Aug 20, 2014
Tanis said:
As someone who has never really played D&D proper, I was more of a DragonLance/RIFTS player, do the Baulder's Gate/IceWind Dale games count as 'proper' D&D games?
I believe they are. They're both set in the Forgotten Realms setting.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
ZedOmega said:
Tanis said:
Arent they even Canon in baldurs gate case?

But yeah Baldurs gate and the icewinddale are the flagship example of DnD done right on PC.

I still remember how awesome and how unforgiving baldurs gate 1 could be... my badass lvl 1 warrior murdered by the first wolf i encountered because i had no clue what i was doing. Till Baldurs gate the best we had in atmospheric story telling was diablo i guess.

ZedOmega

Nothing To See Here
Aug 20, 2014
Karadalis said:
ZedOmega said:
Tanis said:
Arent they even Canon in baldurs gate case?

But yeah Baldurs gate and the icewinddale are the flagship example of DnD done right on PC.

I still remember how awesome and how unforgiving baldurs gate 1 could be... my badass lvl 1 warrior murdered by the first wolf i encountered because i had no clue what i was doing. Till Baldurs gate the best we had in atmospheric story telling was diablo i guess.
Insofar as 'canon' would apply in the games' case as a whole, I would believe so. I've been wrong before.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I had one of the dark sun games for dos, but I don't recall which. It was actually the first non-standard campaign setting I really got behind. I still have a soft spot for it. I think it'd be cool if that setting got the modern treatment as it's pretty unique.

I also had Dragonstrike (I think on the NES) it was super hard but that could be because I was 10 and at the time the only other 'flight' type game I'd played was Top Gun.

1Life0Continues

Not a Gamer, I Just Play Games
Jul 8, 2013
Diddy_Mao said:
Slightly off topic, but the cover art here.
That's Deathwing is it not?
That's an odd choice for an article about D&D in games innit?
I might be late to the party and it's been changed, but what I'm seeing is a picture sourced direct from Wizards. Click the 'Source: Wizards" link under the picture. It goes straight there.

Unless it's been changed. In that case, ignore this post.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
The article pic on the main page is still ol' ironjaw.

Did anyone mention Lodoss Wars on the Dreamcast yet?