Reaper Miniatures Deploys Cheap Mecha in Latest Kickstarter

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Reaper Miniatures Deploys Cheap Mecha in Latest Kickstarter

Like previous Reaper Kickstarters, this one will just become a better deal over time.

Reaper Miniatures, they of the CAV, or Combat Assault Vehicles [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min?ref=users], a fast-playing game of metal mechs that Reaper both published and made the miniatures for. Those lumps of metal, though, are quickly become prohibitively expensive, so Reaper wants to take the line to their new, cheap plastic solution. Thus the Kickstarter. They already have a line of eight miniatures in production, and through the Kickstarter are selling that batch to fund more and more molds. As with previous Reaper Bones Kickstarters, the more folks fund the project, the greater the number stompy robots are included for the base pledge.

[kickstarter=1513061270/reaper-miniatures-cav-strike-operations]

Reaper has also pledged to independently create a new set of hardcover rules for CAV, using an updated version of their RAGE tabletop rules. They've already posted a a video of them in action. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuPMS4GLGb0] As of this article, Reaper has exceeded their goal by some marigin, hitting $134,411 in funding. While a far cry from the $3 million the past two Bones Kickstarters pulled, Reaper continues to lay out goals. The funding for the project concludes on September 27th.

You can find out more the official game website. [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-cav-strike-operations]

What say you? Does this pique your interest in tabletop robot combat, or are you already invested in competitor Battletech: Alpha Strike [http://bg.battletech.com/?p=4890]?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
If only they didn't look so much like Battlemechs, the design of which I am not a fan. One would think that maybe a different design might make them stand out a little...

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Wait, I'm confused: Do you have to pay $100 to get anything and then you can add more on top of that, or can you get things just by paying for the specific models you want?

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Falterfire said:
Wait, I'm confused: Do you have to pay $100 to get anything and then you can add more on top of that, or can you get things just by paying for the specific models you want?
You can grab stuff at the $4-5 per model cost I think using the first pledge goal. But that $100 gets you like 40+ models, probably 50 by the end...

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm very curious, but I'd like to actually hold one of them. Also I'd like to see some rules or board play footage.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Silentpony said:
I'm very curious, but I'd like to actually hold one of them. Also I'd like to see some rules or board play footage.
It appears the rules are on the CAV website linked in the article above.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I remember doing a 3D model of a tank from the CAV universe.

Le Sigh, I wonder if any of these miniatures will be worth modeling.

Jesterscup

Sep 9, 2014
PedroSteckecilo said:
If only they didn't look so much like Battlemechs, the design of which I am not a fan. One would think that maybe a different design might make them stand out a little...
DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
Now some people really don't like the modeling aspect of miniatures and just want some man-dollies (or 3-dimensional gaming tokens, if that term offends you) to play with, and if that's you I can't fault you for liking CAV Bones, because if nothing matters to you but price, that looks to be the best deal on the market. But if you care at all about how your models look and especially if you want your assembling/painting of the model to reflect well on you, I think you owe it to yourself to spend a little bit more and get something really nice looking, where the quality of the model won't hold your artistic ability back.
I'm a huge Battletech fanboy, and have been since I was a kid playing with my big brother on our kitchen table. I'm no-where near the level of being a 'proper' modeller ( like @DANGER- MUST SILENCE ) but I make a mean piece of 3d hex terrain. I backed this for my son ( christmas present perhaps? ) he's been really getting into Battletech, and has a small selection of miniatures ( a star of clan, and an IS lance), and this gives me an easy way to give him a huge army. Sure the quality may not be great in the end ( but hey it's not like iron wind are super high quality are they?).

battletechy ? check
good price ? check
quality not super important ? check

I'll be happy to give my impressions of the models ( I've backed it ), when they arrive.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Ben Lyons said:
I'm a huge Battletech fanboy, and have been since I was a kid playing with my big brother on our kitchen table. I'm no-where near the level of being a 'proper' modeller ( like @DANGER- MUST SILENCE ) but I make a mean piece of 3d hex terrain. I backed this for my son ( christmas present perhaps? ) he's been really getting into Battletech, and has a small selection of miniatures ( a star of clan, and an IS lance), and this gives me an easy way to give him a huge army. Sure the quality may not be great in the end ( but hey it's not like iron wind are super high quality are they?).

battletechy ? check
good price ? check
quality not super important ? check

I'll be happy to give my impressions of the models ( I've backed it ), when they arrive.
I'm more into Heavy Gear, Jovian Chronicles or the old Mekton Mini's myself. I'd just love to see Reaper do some more affordable "Cool Humanoid Mecha" Mini's like I'm a fan of.

Still I actually like Reaper's Minis as gaming aids so I hope the mini's plus the game are good!

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Whats really funny is that some of these designs look like the "unseen" mechs, mechs that no one involved professionaly with Battletech is willing to touch.

I have seen a handfull of Warhammer esque Mechs in their video along with one that was a very close lookalike to the marauder battlemech.

Yet in Battletech products they wont even use the redesigns of those mechs being afraid to get sued. Ah well...