iCups Kickstarter Asks for $10,000 for "iRonic" String Cup Phone

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
iCups Kickstarter Asks for $10,000 for "iRonic" String Cup Phone

Is the new iPhone 6 just too mainstream for you? Then plunk down $7 for this sleek, modern take on kindergarten's most cutting-edge technology.

People have been waiting in line for hours to get their hands on the new iPhone 6, and if you're one of those who's a bit envious you won't be getting the upgrade, or just want to make fun of people obsessed with trendy tech, then Kickstarter might have just the phone for you.

For $7, you can be the proud owner of a pair of iCups, billed as "The Ultimate iRonic Gift" by its creators. The iCups are pretty much what you'd expect, a pair of plastic cups connected by a string. Higher backer levels get you access to iCups "models" with longer pieces of string, shorter pieces of string (for "intimate communication") or four-way and eight-way "group call models," which, as you might expect, gives you more cups tied together. The highest backer level, for $1,000, will have the iCups team travel to Silicon Valley where they will bury a time capsule with the donor's name, photo and a personal message about their contribution to the iCups project.

The company sponsoring the Kickstarter, ADA Sport of Los Angeles, is asking for a total of $10,000 to help bring the gag gift to national distributors, such as Spencer's Gifts. The money will cover costs such as bulk purchases, creating partnerships with printing companies and logistical support to handle order intakes and shipping.

As of this writing, the Kickstarter fund has taken in $2,102, with 19 days left to go. Also on the page is a helpful FAQ, with answers to questions like "Are You Serious?" and "Really Serious? While the idea may sound crazy, it does have one fan - Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak got a good laugh when ADA Sports presented him with his own complimentary iCups.

Also in the iCups' favor, they are more likely to survive a fall unscathed, unlike <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137543-Man-Drops-First-iPhone-6-in-Perth-Australia>the first iPhone 6 purchased in Perth, Australia, which was quickly dropped by its owner.

Source: <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/444874673/icups-the-ultimate-ironic-accessory?utm_source=iCups+New+Subscribers+%28No+name%29&amp;utm_campaign=c821a916e9-iCups_Wozniak_Campaign9_11_2014&amp;utm_medium=email&amp;utm_term=0_03eff06462-c821a916e9-188332261>Kickstarter via <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/19/6531793/didnt-get-an-iphone-6-maybe-you-should-check-out-icups-instead>Polygon

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Oh look, another (pair of) cool and edgy rebel wannabe(s) who think sticking a lowercase 'i' in front of a random noun and making sheep noises makes them the height of comedy.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Aeshi said:
Oh look, another (pair of) cool and edgy rebel wannabes who think sticking a lowercase 'i' in front of a random noun and making sheep noises makes them the height of comedy.
Oh HAHAHA, I see what you edited there :p

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Man, within a span of the last decade or so, Apple products went from being hipster to mainstream, and then mocking Apple's consumerism ironically went from being hipster to mainstream as well.

Sorry iCups. Your edginess isn't trendy anymore.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
Oh well, several kickstarters from people who needed help with their medical problems were cancelled but as long as Spencers has this new and shiny object that 100s of people will surely buy that makes it all worth it.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
They got this crap on Kickstarter? For about $7, I can go down the street 5 minutes walking distance to the hardware, get silver paint, green nylon string, and even the cups and make 25 pairs of these. This is why I never look at Kickstarter besides a direct link to a real product's page. They got so much stupid stuff, like this or a guy needing funds to make potato salad, that anything worthwhile without a big external following probably gets over shadowed.

Also, iCups sounds like a jock strap made by Apple. Just sayin'.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
What the fuck, are these pledges real? This sense of humor must just be too advanced for me, because all I see is people giving other people money all in the name of irony. Jam (Yahtzee's novel) is getting too real.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Stuff like that makes me want to punch humanity..

Although, I'm torn if I find this more or less offensive then the potato salad. I guess little less since at least this one still has the realistic chance of just failing.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
.....This works? People actually give them the money?

Ok brb, gonna try and come up with an "ironic" kickstarter of my own, fuck working for a living.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Hairless Mammoth said:
They got this crap on Kickstarter? For about $7, I can go down the street 5 minutes walking distance to the hardware, get silver paint, green nylon string, and even the cups and make 25 pairs of these. This is why I never look at Kickstarter besides a direct link to a real product's page. They got so much stupid stuff, like this or a guy needing funds to make potato salad, that anything worthwhile without a big external following probably gets over shadowed.

Also, iCups sounds like a jock strap made by Apple. Just sayin'.
Hmm... a crotch guard with built in bluetooth and Siri? Don't give them ideas man.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
The sad yet brilliant thing is that this is the DUMBEST FUCKING IDEA EVER...and they're gonna make a fortune...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Aeshi said:
Oh look, another (pair of) cool and edgy rebel wannabe(s) who think sticking a lowercase 'i' in front of a random noun and making sheep noises makes them the height of comedy.
it will continue being the heigh of comedy as long as the forementioned sheep continue throwing money at them.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
You fellas seem to appreciate irony, so I'm sure you'll understand when I not pay for this ironically.