Assassin's Creed Season Pass Features Female Protagonist in China

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Assassin's Creed Season Pass Features Female Protagonist in China

Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China is included in the Assassin's Creed: Unity season pass.

Ubisoft will release a new story campaign in Assassin's Creed: Unity, more weapons, and more missions as a part of a season pass, as well as a separate game called Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China. The game takes place in 16th century China and stars a character from Assassin's Creed lore.

Shao Jun is the surviving assassin of the Chinese Brotherhood. Jun was previously in the Assassin's Creed Embers animated movie and the Assassin's Creed Revelations novel. Trained by Ezio Auditore (of Assassin's Creed 2), Jun vows revenge on the people who destroyed the Brotherhood as she returns to Beijing.

Climax Studios is developing Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China. The game will look different from the major Assassin's Creed games, as this one's art style was inspired by traditional brush paintings and plays like a 2D side-scrolling game. However, like other games in the series, players can explore historical landmarks, encounter historical figures, and use assassins' gear and martial arts to engage in all-out combat or sneak around. Ubisoft notes Shao Jun uses the Jian sword and foot blade.

The new story campaign included in the Unity season pass is called Dead Kings where Arno travels to Saint Denis and use the guillotine gun. Additional gear can carry over to the main game.

Ubisoft states the season pass content will be available by early 2015. Assassin's Creed: Unity launches on PS4, PC, and Xbox One on November 11 in North America and on November 13 in Europe.

Source: Ubisoft [http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-unity-season-pass-assassins-creed-chronicles-china/]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
this one's art style was inspired by traditional brush paintings and plays like a 2D side-scrolling game.
Okay, that actually sounds really cool. Too bad I don't give a shit about this franchise XD

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
The game sounds pretty damn cool. And then there's the bit about the season pass.

...Fuck it, I'm bringing out the fist-shaking again.

[HEADING=1]BARROWMAN! UBISOFT![/HEADING]

[sub]You're right, Zach, it is wrong without "Barrowman!"[/sub]

Also, I suppose 2.5D does mean less animations are required. =P

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Fappy said:
this one's art style was inspired by traditional brush paintings and plays like a 2D side-scrolling game.
Okay, that actually sounds really cool. Too bad I don't give a shit about this franchise XD
Generally speaking I agree, but perhaps this will be the thing that changes that. It does sound really nifty, especially to my side-scrolling sensibilities. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens, and pray it doesn't require Uplay...

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
F*CK UNITY! French Revolution sounds fun and all but Chinese assassin in 16th century china with a brush-stroke style rather than the usual realism. Jesus, that'd almost be as fun as Pirates was! I don't understand Ubisoft's logic, they seem to have awesome ideas for spin off games with female assassins like Aveline with her ability to actually USE subterfuge and Shao Jun with this brushstroke style, why keep doing the gruff male generic protagonists? And why try even LESS with the newest one?

I mean, shit, Altair, Ezio, Connor, Edward, they may not be the best characters but they had obvious traits when they were announced, what the fucks going on with this French dude?

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Ronack said:
No, no, no, no, no. Not a 2D platformer. NO. Please, no. I had such high hopes for this when I first heard that she's getting a game. But now it's a 2D platformer? Ubisoft, why?
Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are 2D platformers by Ubisoft, and are both widely loved. Why not give it a chance? I know it's not as impressive as a full 3D AssCree game, but it could be a start to something interesting, and it helps get them out of their open-world rut.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"plays like a 2D side-scrolling game"
And it also features "sneaking", huh? That doesn't sound very compatible to me...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Fappy said:
That's probably Ubisoft code for everything is blurry with a thick black outline and has a big long primary coloured streamer behind it rather than actual attention to visual design.
Of course I could be completely wrong and it's an Okami level work of slacish love, but you know, Ubisoft.

ShinobiJedi42

May 7, 2012
This sounds to me like Ubisoft is testing the waters for a feudal Japan or East Asia-centric game. I mean, pretty much all AssCreed fans want it, but I guess they're testing the play style? Using a katana or other asian weapons might be a lot different in combat. I hope that's the case, anyway. They used the ship in AssCreed III to test for the sea-centric Black Flag. Maybe they're doing the same for a full game set in East Asia.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Kenjitsuka said:
And it also features "sneaking", huh? That doesn't sound very compatible to me...
*Subtly nods in Mark of the Ninja's direction*...

Llasnad

Aug 6, 2008
Xsjadoblayde said:
Kenjitsuka said:
Beat me to it, damn. Anyone who thinks you cant do an awesome stealth game in a 2d platformer, needs to buy Mark Of the Ninja. I love that game. I dislike the Assassin Creed franchise, but I would be interested in playing this game if it was stand alone.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
ShinobiJedi42 said:
This sounds to me like Ubisoft is testing the waters for a feudal Japan or East Asia-centric game. I mean, pretty much all AssCreed fans want it, but I guess they're testing the play style? Using a katana or other asian weapons might be a lot different in combat. I hope that's the case, anyway. They used the ship in AssCreed III to test for the sea-centric Black Flag. Maybe they're doing the same for a full game set in East Asia.
I really hope they'll change something about the combat animations, not that it didn't look good, but if I am going to play an eastern assassin i would like to use some actual eastern martial arts. There is a ton of different weapons and combat styles in Asia, and a great deal of those are gorgeous and deserves to be implemented instead of the usual european combat.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Ronack said:
No, no, no, no, no. Not a 2D platformer. NO. Please, no. I had such high hopes for this when I first heard that she's getting a game. But now it's a 2D platformer? Ubisoft, why?
What, never heard of Mark of the Ninja? One of the BEST stealth games out there and it's 2D.

Xsjadoblayde said:
Kenjitsuka said:
Dammit.

On the subject of it, WHY not a "proper" AC game set in China? Seriously, why they refuse to do stuff in China/Japan when they had some of the longest and most interesting civil wars rife with the potential for Templar/Assassin shenanigans is beyond me.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
roseofbattle said:
The game will look different from the major Assassin's Creed games, as this one's art style was inspired by traditional brush paintings
This is the part where my asia-crazy heart nearly skipped a beat, an AC game with traditional brushwork style? Is this some beautiful dream? And then...
roseofbattle said:
and plays like a 2D side-scrolling game.
Was it really necessary to break my heart so cruelly? Sure, it's probably gonna be pretty, but I already have Mark of the Ninja. would it really have been so much to ask for a 3D game?

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
CaptainMarvelous said:
I mean, shit, Altair, Ezio, Connor, Edward, they may not be the best characters but they had obvious traits when they were announced, what the fucks going on with this French dude?
When seeing news like this one, it almost feels like Ubisoft is saying "okay we want this for the primary game, but you can do your interesting ideas for a DLC for it".

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Ronack said:
Rendering women is hard. Don't forget, it's Ubisoft.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
[sub]You're right, Zach, it is wrong without "Barrowman!"[/sub]
And don't you forget it.

I was interested in this, but...

-It's DLC for a game I don't plan on getting.
-It's 2.5D rather than an extension.
-It won't be out for a console I own (and I'm not using Uplay).

Somehow, this will turn into a "women can't sell games" argument though, I know it.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Lol no thanks Ubisoft I think I'll pass since you should've made a full AC game out of this character instead of shoehorning it in for extra profit.