No Xenomorphs in Prometheus 2

Esmeralda Portillo

Jun 16, 2014
No Xenomorphs in Prometheus 2

Director Ridley Scott has admitted there will be no Xenomorphs in the Prometheus sequel.

direct Alien prequel, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/prometheus] instead of the spin-off it eventually became. Director Ridley Scott won't allow the same mistakes to be made with Prometheus 2.

In a recent interview Scott discussed how development is underway for the film, even though he's currently focused on other projects. "Right now, as we speak, it's being written. I've had 15 drafts evolving."

The ending scene of Prometheus (spoiler warning) had what looked like a subspecies of a Xenomorph gruesomely tearing apart its Engineer host. The creature, known as the Deacon, turned out not to be a Xenomorph [http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Deacon], but its presence still gave fans hope that Xenomorphs would play a prominent role in future sequels. Scott has now confirmed that will not be the case.

"The beast is done. Cooked..." "I got lucky meeting Giger [http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/14/arts/h-r-giger-swiss-artist-dies-at-74-his-vision-gave-life-to-alien-creature.html?_r=0] all those years ago. It's very hard to repeat that. I just happen to be the one who forced it through because they said it's obscene. They didn't want to do it and I said, 'I want to do it, it's fantastic'. But after four, I think it wears out a little bit. There's only so much snarling you can do. I think you've got to come back with something more interesting. And I think we've found the next step. I thought the Engineers were quite a good start."

There is currently no release date set for Prometheus 2, but it's speculated it will be sometime in 2016 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133220-Prometheus-2-Planned-For-2016-With-Alien-y-Scope].

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/24/6841627/prometheus-2-aliens-ridley-scott]

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
Ravenous Alien's fans will of course want more xenomorphs. I sort of agree with Ridley on this though. They've had a lot of movies already, and Prometheus scraped on their origins a bit, but it built the foundation for another story, one that I'm much more interested in seeing than another one where xenomorphs are the principal threat.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Prometheus would've been better as either a straight prequel or its own thing. Splitting the difference was IMO part of the problem with it; they apparently kept a lot of stuff that made some sense in the original script and made no sense in the final.

Hopefully any sequels work more on standing on their own. Actually, it would be nice if they stood at all. Seriously, get some people to check the script and ask "Does this make sense?"

small

Aug 5, 2014
well if they want to shoot themselves in the ass be my guest. i haven't really paid much attention to the movies after aliens and they seem to be wanting to create an alien movie without the aliens. ok then what ever floats your boat.

to quote someone i know who worked on the first movie "they should of kept the original draft instead of the fucked up train wreck it became"

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Jesus, let it die. Just let it go, already, and put it out its misery.

This couldn't be a more perfect metaphor for the ALIEN series as a whole.

Scott, I don't think you have the slightest idea how horror works. You're a clown. We don't need to know more about the engineers. The scariest thing about horror is what we don't know. There's supposed to be an element of mystery to the whole thing. If you remove the mystery, you remove the horror. Alien wasn't scary because there was a big bad alien. It was scary because it captured just how weak and feeble the human race was. It really made you feel weak and small in the vastness of the universe. The alien ship, the dead pilot, the mysterious eggs, the whole thing set up the idea that there were larger forces at work. Even the evil nature of Weyland-Yutani, a mysterious super company that you never really see, helped to create a sense of helplessness. There's also weird religious nature to the Aliens, since they were originally found in a pyramid with carvings describing their life cycle. What purpose do they serve? How are they connected to the engineers? We don't know, and we don't need to know. Horror lends itself least to sequalitis. Prequels are even worse.

The other great element to the original film was the psycho-sexual nature of the design. That disapeared after the first movie, though, and probably went over Camerons head. James Cameron removed the horror and intellect. Joss Whedon butchered the heart and story. Now Scott is hollowing out whatever was left. The original film should have been left well enough alone.

Ajarat

Apr 29, 2014
kaizen2468 said:
Ravenous Alien's fans will of course want more xenomorphs. I sort of agree with Ridley on this though. They've had a lot of movies already, and Prometheus scraped on their origins a bit, but it built the foundation for another story, one that I'm much more interested in seeing than another one where xenomorphs are the principal threat.
I went into seeing the movie with the clear expectation that it was not related to the aliens franchise, but could have some loose ties as a distant prequel of sorts and found the movie quite good in an intriguing way. It definitely is not your typical movie, nor is it even really a complete story of any sense in itself, and came off more as a setting of a stage.

From what I gathered by what he was saying, I think this was more or less what he was going for. And that is why I really enjoy his films... Nevertheless, I'm really looking forward to what R. Scott has to show us next.

Doopliss64

Jul 20, 2011
I always kind of guessed the deacon(s) would be the primary antagonists next time. Some of the murals in the temple portray the deacons standing up and walking around bipedally, like a human/engineer would, which hints at increased intelligence over the standard xenomorph (which makes sense considering the theories that the deacon was the "pure" form of what would later be mass-produced into the xenomorph). So maybe we'll be seeing what amount to hyper-intelligent sentient xenomorphs, which would be an interesting twist on the classic formula.

Or maybe I'm just talking out my ass. Actually, I'm DEFINITELY talking out my ass.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Fox12 said:
Jesus, let it die. Just let it go, already, and put it out its misery.

Scott, I don't think you have the slightest idea how horror works.
I'm not sure if Prometheus was ever intended to be an outright horror film.

But as mentioned by others, the biggest problem was the god awful script. Not a single memorable character in that whole movie. In the original Alien film I remember all the characters well because they were all nicely fleshed out as real humans. Prometheus just created entities which had no depth. It was clear from very early on who was meant to die first. They practically had 'I WILL DIE' written on their heads. Poor character development indeed.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Li Mu said:
Not a single memorable character in that whole movie. In the original Alien film I remember all the characters well because they were all nicely fleshed out as real humans. Prometheus just created entities which had no depth. It was clear from very early on who was meant to die first. They practically had 'I WILL DIE' written on their heads. Poor character development indeed.
Michael Fassbender pretty much carried the entire cast on his shoulders, IMHO. David was perhaps the only character worth remembering.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
as long it fills up the plotholes, im happy. never the less, the first movie was still a solid sci-fi movie which i still like to watch.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
Speaking of Aliens, For those who don't know Cam and Alex of Loading Ready Run Fan maybe a kind of Riff-tracks like thing for Prometheus. http://loadingreadyrun.com/lrrcasts/archive/correct/date/desc/_

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I know I'm setting myself up for crucifiction but...I liked Alien 3 and Colonial Marines, and consider Aliens to be on par with the original Alien.

Before the nails go into my palms, I will say that I didn't like Prometheus though, and don't consider it a good film. That said, I don't see it as being a horror film. I didn't see anything wrong with the xenomorph at the end in of itself, but I won't miss them in Paradise (actual name of the second movie).

Think of it this way - Alien is a horror film, about encountering and surviving the unknown, and indeed, part of the reason why the xenomorph is so terrifying is that it is indeed an unknown, a being that's for all intents and purposes, alien. Prometheus is, in theory, a story of discovery, of understanding the unknown. Hopefully the second film can express them competently.

Now if you excuse me, I have a cross to carry. 0_0

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I liked the first one a lot, i wished i went just a bit more in depth (There's some really cool themes in there, but it could be explored a bit more.). I think it's an interesting look at religion and i like how low key it is with a lot or the dialouge, especially Daviid and Weylands part in the story. Usually most Hollywood movies would explain everything through dialouge, but here it's more through subtle lines and characters actions. It isn't without it's flaws though, could use more depth and maybe a little less action. And i really don't like that they had to show the alien in the end, it was pure fan service.

I hope they go more in depth wih the religious aspects in the sequel, it could be cool to see how it changes people now that they have met God. With that said, i have a feeling that it was meant as a stand alone movie, not sure if the symbolic ending of the first movie would benefit from a sequel. Only time will tell i guess.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Verlander said:
When, oh when, will we see Alien Vs Predator Vs Terminator????

I'm really not sure how well that would transition to film. Going by the attempts at AvP... I'm guessing poorly. AvPvT was an... odd... series.

Granted, I think I'm one of like maybe four people worldwide that actually kinda liked Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem. I fully acknowledge that it's a pretty shitty movie, and yet I still had fun. Guilty pleasure, I guess.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Tuesday Night Fever said:
Verlander said:
When, oh when, will we see Alien Vs Predator Vs Terminator????

I'm really not sure how well that would transition to film. Going by the attempts at AvP... I'm guessing poorly. AvPvT was an... odd... series.

Granted, I think I'm one of like maybe four people worldwide that actually kinda liked Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem. I fully acknowledge that it's a pretty shitty movie, and yet I still had fun. Guilty pleasure, I guess.
Film's set in Earth's future. A small handful of Predators are being hunted down by the Terminators, and are lagging a little. Meanwhile a Skynet mining device unearths Alien eggs, although the facehuggers can't attach. The Predators chance upon a human hidden settlement, and violently clear them out. The Terminators appear to get the upper hand, but the surviving humans fall into the den of Alien eggs...

Or something like that. It'd be a popcorn thriller if nothing else

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
"The beast is done. Cooked..." "I got lucky meeting Giger [http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/14/arts/h-r-giger-swiss-artist-dies-at-74-his-vision-gave-life-to-alien-creature.html?_r=0] all those years ago. It's very hard to repeat that. I just happen to be the one who forced it through because they said it's obscene. They didn't want to do it and I said, 'I want to do it, it's fantastic'. But after four, I think it wears out a little bit. There's only so much snarling you can do.[/quote]Right here is why I'm a bit apprehensive about Alien: Isolation. At this point the Alien is as iconic as Dracula, the monster of Frankenstein, and the Wolfman. It's overexposed. We know all its tricks and exactly what it looks like -- any dark mystery it might've once had has completely evaporated, leaving only a space bug.
Fox12 said:
We don't need to know more about the engineers. The scariest thing about horror is what we don't know. There's supposed to be an element of mystery to the whole thing. If you remove the mystery, you remove the horror. Alien wasn't scary because there was a big bad alien. It was scary because it captured just how weak and feeble the human race was. It really made you feel weak and small in the vastness of the universe. The alien ship, the dead pilot, the mysterious eggs, the whole thing set up the idea that there were larger forces at work. Even the evil nature of Weyland-Yutani, a mysterious super company that you never really see, helped to create a sense of helplessness. There's also weird religious nature to the Aliens, since they were originally found in a pyramid with carvings describing their life cycle. What purpose do they serve? How are they connected to the engineers? We don't know, and we don't need to know. Horror lends itself least to sequalitis. Prequels are even worse.
Yeah, pretty much. Even if Prometheus was well written and stuctured and was all around a great movie, it would've still been a failure. It's the same as making a prequel to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre that reveals the mystery behind Leatherface. Now matter how good it is it's exposing something that should be left in the dark.

Now I still kinda like Prometheus just for it visuals alone. Seriously, it's the best looking movie I've seen... probably since Blade Runner. But it was pretty much doomed right from the start.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
What Prometheus 2 needs is not "No Xenomorphs", it's "No Damon Lindelof". Also, no Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, J.J. Abrams, Michael Bay or any of those losers.

Mar 30, 2010
kaizen2468 said:
Ravenous Alien's fans will of course want more xenomorphs.
As a ravenous Alien fan I couldn't disagree more. The less xenomorphs are associated with the abysmal Prometheus the better.

OT: I went to see Prometheus with fairly high hopes, but was then treated to an absolute turd of a film. Surprised it's getting a sequel, but on the plus side it's already guaranteed to be better than the original.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
So...

Does this mean Mr. Scott is still planning to merge the Alien and Blade Runner story-verses? Because he seemed absolutely adamant about the idea a few years ago.

I swear, he makes me think of George Lucas. He lost whatever creative touch he had, he's confused as to what he wants to do, and his end goal seems primarily to be to ruin every franchise he was a part of.

Guh. I sincerely hope Prometheus 2 turns out better than the first. Beyond the incredible set design and cinematography, that film was a train wreck, so hopefully this means the sequel has nowhere to go but up in quality.