Blizzard Will Let You Bring Deleted WoW Toons Back

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Blizzard Will Let You Bring Deleted WoW Toons Back

Was the deceased level 10 or lower? Oh dear.

People leave World of Warcraft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129393-World-of-Warcraft-Slows-Losses-As-Activision-Beats-Q3-Outlook] for all kinds of reasons. Sometimes it's an impassioned ragequit, sometimes it's a 'meh, don't care', but sometimes they come back. What happens if the toon got deleted? Well, Blizzard's now letting players recover their deleted toons, as soon as Warlords of Draenor launches, but as you might expect, there's one or two conditions.

First, the deceased cannot be under level 10 or, if a naked by the mailbox [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/5445-Review-World-of-Warcraft-Wrath-of-the-Lich-King], waiting for a care package? Yep, he's gone now, and he won't be back.

Level 29 or under, sir? One hopes sir has been gone less than 90 days; if sir has been gone 91 days or more, then sir's toon is unrecoverable. Those between level 30 and 49 are recoverable so long as sir hasn't been absent for more than 120 days. Otherwise, poof!

All characters level 50 and above [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135594-World-of-Warcraft-Player-Reaches-Level-90-Without-Choosing-a-Faction] can be recovered at any time, so there's hope for your level 60 Warlock yet, but bear in mind that sir can only perform the Undelete ritual once every 30 days. If you have half-a-dozen alts waiting in the wings, you may have to think carefully which of them you want to bring back from the dead.

On the flip side, anyone who comes back from the Great Beyond has all their items and inventory restored too. Blizzard wants you to jump into the fun right away.

As for your toon's name [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127752-World-of-Warcrafts-Most-Popular-Names-Include-Arthas-Sephiroth], it will be kept on the record books "for a limited time" says Blizzard. However if your recovered toon has the same name as one of your current ones, then one of them will have to switch servers, change name, or be deleted.

Don't forget that, a few days ago, WoW announced the great name reclamation drive [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/15910697/release-the-names-character-name-reclamation-coming-9-15-2014], freeing up names belonging to characters who haven't been active since November 13th, 2008. Your toon's name may already be one of the reclaimed, if you've been gone a really long time.

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net//wow/en/blog/16071430]

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Wait, this is new? I'm 100% sure they've been doing that for years.

As in, I've had it done back in TBC - I quit the game for a few months, maybe a year, came back, realized I felt like playing a char I deleted just before I quit, submitted a ticket and my dude was back in action inside 24 hours, all his stuff intact and the GM who handled asked if I needed any other characters brought back or any other help.

I suppose they are making it official with this, but they've been doing it pretty much since the game launched, all you had to do was ask.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
I wondered about that myself; but then I realized that, now the level cap's gone through the roof, Blizz might want to make the process official, rather than something you have to submit a ticket for. I suppose it's part and parcel with the insta-90s. The sooner the player base gets to grip with the content, the better, may be Blizz's thinking.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
An interesting sentiment, and the expansion does look interesting, but I doubt it's going to sway me to start p(l)aying again when ps exist.

How long do you have to be gone to have a toon deleted anyhow?

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I have never heard character avatars referred to as toons before (and my best friend has played wow since it came out): I came into the article expecting news about some abandoned cartoon series. While it's a neat idea (character files can't be that big and they supposedly have all of those empty servers, next logical step is automated grinding), I'm kind of disappointed that it isn't a new tv/web show. :/

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I always wondered about people that delete their characters in MMOs. I can understand if it's your 3rd level 28 Druid that you gave up on but deleting a toon that was level cap and had game hours poured into it is another story. I feel like it's deleting memories.
And there always is the possibility that you may come back. I left WoW for over a year and never even imagined deleting any of my toons.
If you're really 100% sure that you're never coming back, sell your toon on EBay. Even with the 90 boost being a thing now, a character that has rare gear or items can still sell for a pretty penny.

Random Fella said:
An interesting sentiment, and the expansion does look interesting, but I doubt it's going to sway me to start p(l)aying again when ps exist.

Toons are never automatically deleted. If a toon is deleted it's because the account owner decided to hit the delete button and type "DELETE" into the text box before hitting accept.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
VanQ said:
Random Fella said:

Toons are never automatically deleted. If a toon is deleted it's because the account owner decided to hit the delete button and type "DELETE" into the text box before hitting accept.
Correct. Toons are never deleted, but they are soon going to reclaim names. Meaning if you haven't played a character since november 2008, it'll free up the name of that character for others to use. You'll need to enter a new name for that character if you decide to pick it back up.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Jandau said:
Wait, this is new? I'm 100% sure they've been doing that for years.

As in, I've had it done back in TBC - I quit the game for a few months, maybe a year, came back, realized I felt like playing a char I deleted just before I quit, submitted a ticket and my dude was back in action inside 24 hours, all his stuff intact and the GM who handled asked if I needed any other characters brought back or any other help.

I suppose they are making it official with this, but they've been doing it pretty much since the game launched, all you had to do was ask.
They've now made it an official system as to unload the work that GM's have to do on a computer rather than have you phone up to ask if you can have XxSepirothxX your beloved level 60 mage that you deleted in a fit of trying to quit.

So basically it's just a 'hey look guys we wrote a program' ...s'shiny.

Also Blizzard are wiping a shit ton of people off the map soon to free up the names...Soon. SOON MY RIGHTFUL NAME WILL BE RECLAIMED. I've been patient. I have waited. And I will have it.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
flying_whimsy said:
I have never heard character avatars referred to as toons before (and my best friend has played wow since it came out): I came into the article expecting news about some abandoned cartoon series.
When I started back in 2005 everyone refered to their characters as "toons". Eventually it got replaced by "char/s" iirc.

Anyway. I restored a druid back in the TBC-days. Believe the rules back then was that you could only ask a GM to restore characters once every six months, so I guess this feature is great for those with itchy delete fingers. However, considering how damn fast you level in WoW these days it's seems quite pointless. Haven't played since Cata, but back then I took a char from level 1-58 in 12 hours or something. It felt ridiculous.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Karloff said:
Was the deceased level 10 or lower? Oh dear.
Feh. With the way leveling is paced these days, fresh toons are practically half-way to 60 before the intro sequence is done playing.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
So instead of putting in a ticket and having a GM do it you can do it yourself now? That's neat I guess but not much of a change.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
I ragequit hardcore from TBC back in 2006 and deleted my character so I could be sure I would never go back. One month ago, my friends bug me about coming to play freakin' WoW with them. I told them I deleted my 70 warlock with 15 exalted factions, 45K honor kills, and the season 1 armored netherdrake arena mount, and that I only ever mained one character for >5000 hours, so It'd just be too depressing to start from square 1.

These "friends" of mine insist that I at least go see if they can recover this character that I deleted 8 years ago, and almost certain they wouldn't be able to, I check for giggles. I get this message from support the next day, cheerfully exclaiming they still have him.

Now I'm playing WoW again. Bastards.

It's not fair. What's it take to destroy something these days? I try to flush all my heroine like a good boy, but the toilet gets stopped up and spits it back in my face.