Spelunkers Rejoice! Destiny Players Have Found A New Loot Cave

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
Spelunkers Rejoice! Destiny Players Have Found A New Loot Cave

As one loot cave closes, another opens...

Destiny's fabled "corrected the exploit [http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/21/6760715/destiny-loot-cave-engrams-farming] that allowed Guardians to shoot into a cave where low level enemies spawn and plunder everything dropped. The dev's reason for fixing the exploit was that "shooting at a black hole for hours on end isn't our dream for how Destiny is played".

And yet, in the short time since the nerfing of that cave, players have uncovered another similar area located nearby. PS4Trophies [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTrVkfj97hQ] reports that a spawn point in Old Russia's Rocketyard has the same 6-second timer as its precursor in Skywatch. The new "Treasure Cave 2.0" features the same drop rates and can be tackled solo.

Players have been griping [http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2gd1xe/the_problems_with_destinys_loot_system/] that the Engram drop rate coupled with their unusual decryption percentages make it difficult to find and upgrade superior gear after reaching level 20. Along with the loot cave, multiple other farming methods and areas have surfaced for players to grind for better items. The loot cave, and now its successor, happen to be the most effective and less time consuming method to date.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/26/6850109/destiny-new-loot-cave-engrams-farming]

Will you be using this alternative farming method in Destiny to get loot? Let us know in the comments!

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
No, no I will not. Feels too much like work. Unless, yes that's it! A Rube Goldberg machine! Start with a ping pong ball rolling down a channel, chain the machine around my room, and end it with a drinking bird repeatedly tapping the fire button. Now how to automate retrieval of loots every 5 minutes?

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Wow, escapist advertises unfixed exploits in MMO's now? Kinda messed up dude. Many here might not like the game, but I would appreciate it if you don't mess up a games economy/balance for those of us who do enjoy it by telling everyone else where they can break it.

There are other sites for that.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Sure, players can do whatever they want and the more options the better but arent they really missing the point of the game when they prefer to be "shooting at a black hole for hours on end" like Bungie said?

Its the same with GTA Online where people just kept doing the same mission over and over to buy some new shit like a car, to then keep doing the same mission again over and over, its like they think there is a congratulations message if you buy everything. Why dont people just play the game knowing that eventually they will get what they want but at least having fun doing so?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Nope. I'll be having ACTUAL fun, playing Strikes, Patrols and the Crucible, not sitting there shooting into a cave hoping for the best. Upgrades will be found along the way.

The difference is I'll have fun memories to go with them; farmers will just have memories of a black cave.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Jesus this is sad.
I remember when the first cave wasn't fixed yet, I had a stream up in the other window. Some guy spent like 30 minutes shooting into it, and when he went to get his loot he got 2 common items.
This game could be a lot better than I see but it seems really bad.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
It was only a matter of time, not just because of the MMO player mindset but also because of how it appears that this sort of section of the game is designed. Bungie basically broke down why the first loot cave "worked" as it did and the fact is there are probably dozens of places in the game where this sort of enemy spawn mechanic is used. Sure, some are going to be better and more "profitable" than others but especially know that players know how they work, a "new" one is always going to pop up when the old one gets squashed. It's going to take a systemic change on this sort of enemy spawn location to make these go away entirely (though it's likely players will find some other way to do it). At the end of the day it's going to require Bungie not only making loot caving less profitable (or even more boring) but also making other activities more rewarding, which they have announced some plans on starting with the next patch.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
The Hungry Samurai said:
Wow, escapist advertises unfixed exploits in MMO's now? Kinda messed up dude. Many here might not like the game, but I would appreciate it if you don't mess up a games economy/balance for those of us who do enjoy it by telling everyone else where they can break it.
It's a news networks, this is news, blame Bungie for poor programming and game design.

Also games where shooting at a black hole for hours is more efficient then actually having fun generally aren't my type of game.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Phrozenflame500 said:
The Hungry Samurai said:
It's a news networks, this is news, blame Bungie for poor programming and game design.

Also games where shooting at a black hole for hours is more efficient then actually having fun generally aren't my type of game.
A bug in an MMO isn't news, its a patch note. This is less escapism and more Schadenfreude.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Shooting into a blackhole for hours on end isn't how the devs envisioned Destiny being played? Weren't they trying to make an MMO?

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Honestly I don't see the point because even if you spend all that time farming engrams, the RNG is still going to fuck you over when you turn them in anyway. Plus I heard that you are basically going to lose any engrams you have when they update the system next week so there isn't even any point to hoarding them either.

And overall I'm just tired with this shit anyway. Destiny has so much going for it but it has so much more just dragging it down. The universe and story has lots of potential...too bad they don't bother going into any of it at all. The combat is fun and the powers are interesting...too bad its got 1/8 the content of any other MMO or even Borderlands 2 sans the DLC packs. Looting is fun...too bad the RNG and loot system for Destiny is FUBAR and turns what was fun into a dull grindfest of the same 6 bosses, handful of PvP maps/modes, or even worse patrol missions/bounties.

I wanted to love this game so badly but its clear that Bungie have no idea how to make an RPG or making fun raids, and that %500 million budget was spent on hype rather than actually putting content into the game. Even with the upcoming expansions it will still be criminally slim on content for price. Just such a disappointment...

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
On the opposite end of things, is it a good idea to publicize this? Won't Bungie just patch it faster?

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
weirdee said:
On the opposite end of things, is it a good idea to publicize this? Won't Bungie just patch it faster?
I am pretty sure Bungie would see it with their logs and notice the unusual activity at one location where there are many players shooting for hours on end.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Bungie said:
"shooting at a black hole for hours on end isn't our dream for how Destiny is played"...
"...But grinding for days on end is."
Hardly a noble endeavor; but then again, what else should I have expected from a game with half a billion in budget?

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
Paragon Fury said:
Nope. I'll be having ACTUAL fun...
You could do so by playing Borderlands instead, plus you'd get an actual story that doesn't need an external website to explain itself.

gamegod25 said:
its clear that Bungie have no idea how to make an RPG
That's the reason I decided to skip it, besides no PC version existing. It seemed like there wasn't a chance of it being anywhere as good as people hoped, and it turned out to just generally be junk.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
The Hungry Samurai said:

There are other sites for that.
What economy? I thought you weren't even allowed to trade items, meaning this literally does not affect you unless you want to take advantage of it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Gennadios said:
Shooting into a blackhole for hours on end isn't how the devs envisioned Destiny being played? Weren't they trying to make an MMO?
That implies they actually had some sort of plan, and I'm not sure I buy it.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Dosbilliam said:
That's the reason I decided to skip it, besides no PC version existing. It seemed like there wasn't a chance of it being anywhere as good as people hoped, and it turned out to just generally be junk.
Play it first then say that. Prejudging is a nasty habit that too many in the internet community has picked up. What people expected was another Halo clone, practically a completely different genre. Different does not necessarily mean bad, just unexpected. Does the loot system need tweaking? Sure. But this is also Bungie's first foray into the level/gear up/MMOish gamescape and manipulations of game systems by the playerbase are to be expected, as well as balancing issues in either RvR or the classes, usually both. The reviews I've read and watched have went like this: there is not enough loot, and there's expansions coming to expand on the story, so the main campaign doesn't come to a satisfactory end if you hold onto that fact. But dammit, they can't stop playing because it is addictive and fun!

small

Aug 5, 2014
never under estimate the ability of determined players to solve an issue whether thats science problems or finding an exploit in an MMO

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
These caves shouldn't of ever made it into the game in the first place, Bungie should of learned from the mistakes of pretty much every MMO in the last 10+ years.

Though I don't know why they are so surprised that people are doing this, you make a game around grindy MMO mechanics and this is what happens. The MMO mentality sets in, players will look for and find the most efficient means to grind. Heck I remember spin groups doing this in Star Wars Galaxies back in the day.