Shadow of Mordor Season Pass Lets You Fight Sauron

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Shadow of Mordor Season Pass Lets You Fight Sauron

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor's season pass lets you fight orcs, tame monsters, and challenge the evil Sauron himself.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor was already shaping up to be the great Necromancer himself?

That's right: The story content of an upcoming DLC expansion will let you fight the evil Sauron. More specifically, "The Bright Lord" mission takes players back in time as Celebrimbor, the Elvish king who fought Sauron's humanoid form during the Second Age. According to Lord of the Rings canon, this period saw the creation of the Rings of Power, which were kind of a big deal <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj139dE7tFI>in the opening of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Also bundled into the season pass is "Guardians of the Flaming Eye", which challenges players with the elite Black Gate guards. The final story mission is "Lord of the Hunt", where players hunt and tame creatures of Mordor to collect powerful new runes. The Season Pass also provides early access to "Trials of War", a special challenge mode with arena-based missions, along with skins, runes, and other future add-on content.

The full range of season pass content costs $24.99, assuming you decide not to buy the DLC separately. As for the core game itself, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor launches on Sept. 30 for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One platforms. PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions are due out on Nov. 18.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, interesting, I had wondered if they were going to find some way to work in a direct confrontation. I guess time travel makes more sense than having you fight him during the time of the trilogy since it wouldn't have worked in the spirit of the story unless you got badly curb stomped which would defeat the purpose of really having a fight in the game.

I haven't followed much of the information about the game to avoid spoilers, but I was guessing that the spirit behind the new hero was going to be Gil Galad (since I had heard it was an elf). One of the heroes who fought and defeated Sauron. Unlike the movie where Isildur beat him more or less by luck, as Gandalf told the tale at one point I believe he apparently got jumped by three heroes, Isildur, Gil Galad, and I can't remember the third one, who all fought him together. Gil Galad (I think that was the name) died in the battle but distracted Sauron allowing Isildur to strike the final blow using Narsil. While debatable by some things in the similrilion, the basic idea was that Narsil was a huge artifact on it's own, and arguably the battle could even be seen as sort of "Narsil Vs. The One Ring" and Narsil did indeed overcome it but was in the process shattered. This is why it was originally such a big deal that the sword was reforged as Anduril, but it was debatable whether the sword had enough power in it's weakened form to do it again. Anduril Vs. The One Ring was pretty much the "last chance" when they went to Mordor, but it was doubtful they ever
would have made it or that it would have worked. Of course The Simirilion didn't really play up the glamour of Narsil even if it gave it's history, which is a bit different from some side-stuff I had read before. Basically the lack of things like Narsil was a big part of why it was doubtful there was doubted that there was enough power left in the world to beat Sauron again despite there "still being strength in men". Previously they pretty much did it by curb stomping him when he got out of line. The current heroes were not supposed to be so strong or well armed.

At any rate I'm guessing this Celbrimbor guy makes sense too, as I'm guessing he's the animating force, and probably conceptually more powerful than Gil Galad was.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
So that's a thing. I'm kinda interested in the game's DLC now. Certainly not enough to pay for the season pass until the stuff comes out, but I'll be keeping an eye out for it at least.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
I really hate when they gate-off content like this from single player RPG's.

I mean, the arena mode is not a big deal, but the content involving the hunting side quest sounds like something that could have been included with the base game. They should be making content that expands on top of the existing game, not leaving holes in it to fill later. Especially so considering most people will probably only play the game through once or twice and be done with it and thus never bother to experience it.

This season pass thing needs to die also. We are already increasingly saturated with hype and pre-order incentives as it is.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Screw that. I'm waiting for telltale to do the downfall of numenor.

Heck, while we're at it lets fight Morgoth as Fingolfin. Until he steps on you, of course.

chaosbedlam

Apr 15, 2009
That stuff sounds awesome but the fact that its in a season pass really makes me upset. Part of me is really getting sick of this DLC culture the game companies seem to be breading these days.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I read the title and thought it sounded stupid. I was afraid they were going to try and squeeze Sauron into the main game, which would just be stupid. But I see they're not slacking off like that. Nice to know they found a way to make it work. I'll keep an eye on the DLC...after I get a PS4 and the actual game.

CrimsonBlack

Mar 10, 2011
Fox12 said:
Screw that. I'm waiting for telltale to do the downfall of numenor.

Heck, while we're at it lets fight Morgoth as Fingolfin. Until he steps on you, of course.
Methinks the gamification of anything in the Silmarillion would be depressing as heck to the "good guys come up trumps" mindset. How about a game of the life of Turin, Son of Hurin? Now THAT is Depression Quest. DLC: play as his three year-old sister Lalaith as she dies a slow death of pestilence brought on by Morgoth.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Welp, season pass DLC. You know what that means: hold off on buying the game until the inevitable "GOTY edition" with all DLC included comes out at a reduced price. I'm a patient man, I can wait.

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
Cleanthes said:
Neverhoodian said:
Welp, season pass DLC. You know what that means: hold off on buying the game until the inevitable "GOTY edition" with all DLC included comes out at a reduced price. I'm a patient man, I can wait.
Yep, me too. I switched to PC a year or so ago and took the opportunity to settle into a one or two year lag with games - largely because of DLC. It's great. I get games cheaply, they run easily and I get the full game, rather than just the first instalment. Just playing Tomb Raider at the mo.
Same here. Fuck this Season Pass crap. It was especially obnoxious on Borderlands 2 where the Season Pass didn't even get you everything, just the big chunks. So even after you put down $90 for the game and pass, they still wanted to nickle-and-dime you to death.

This industry needs a serious crash, this is getting beyond stupid.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Yeah, gonna wit for GOTY edition, or when it's been a few months and the cost of the game plus the DLC is less than what the game costs as new.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
That's it, I guess. Season pass is officially a must have for new AAA releases. When I told people that is what's gonna happen, they said it's a slippery slope argument. People can be really fuckin' dumb sometimes. Especially when they're trying to appear smart and rational.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
There are so many amazing portrayals of Tolkien's world, I don't get why developers feel the need to be confined to the visuals from Peter Jackson's live action films.

Wulfram77

Dec 8, 2013
Asclepion said:
There are so many amazing portrayals of Tolkien's world, I don't get why developers feel the need to be confined to the visuals from Peter Jackson's live action films.
Because that's what they've got the license for, probably.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
I'm sorry but do I read people actually stating they expect this game to get a GOTY edition? Wouldn't that require a game of the year award from somebody? Maybe Play4Real might give them one, but I don't see who else.

Adam Jensen said:
That's it, I guess. Season pass is officially a must have for new AAA releases. When I told people that is what's gonna happen, they said it's a slippery slope argument. People can be really fuckin' dumb sometimes. Especially when they're trying to appear smart and rational.
Its an AAA thing so why does anyone care?

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
So the one enemy I'm most interested in confronting is locked behind a paywall on top of the AAA price? That completely kills any interest I have in even considering buyingh the game before the GOTY version eventually hits the Steam Sale :/

Nice work WB!

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
At least BioWare seems to be changing for with Dragon Age: Inquisition there isn't a Day 1 DLC and they don't have plans for a Season Pass for they don't like the culture it might bring to their content.

maffgibson

Deep Breath Taker
Sep 10, 2013
My first thought when seeing the title of this article was "But will I be able to jump a shark?"