Destiny Ushers in a New Era of Blatant Cash Grabs

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Destiny Ushers in a New Era of Blatant Cash Grabs

Yahtzee discusses Bungie's "Meadow Shooter," Destiny. But on Venus' greenish pastures, who's really the sheep?

Read Full Article

disappointed

Sep 14, 2011
How can you criticize this game? Why, according to the adverts it had won over 180 awards before it had even been released! Not even Usain Bolt can win a race he has yet to run. Lance Armstrong, maybe...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Destiny, to me, represents a poster child for everything that's wrong with the AAA industry. It's got everything that I absolutely despise about video game, and it doesn't have one crucial thing - a fuckin' soul. It's a soulless and completely unoriginal cash grab. How the fuck did so many people fall for the hype?

Bayushi_Kouya

Mar 31, 2009
Destiny is a list of gameplay elements that look good to investors.

I can tell from playing it that the creators were gritting their teeth as they made Destiny. 'This is what gets me paid' was probably on a plaque in each cubicle.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
How the fuck did so many people fall for the hype?
Four words: "from the makers of...". To be a bit more verbose, Halo's success bought a lot of good will. It's the same reason everyone held out hope that Daikatana might actually be good: the developer says this game will be great, they were right last time, so why not trust them?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"refused to let me into any PVP or co-op missions until I signed up for a PS Plus subscription on top of the seventy bucks I'd already fucking paid."

Yeah, that sucks. But don't you mean The Escapist already paid 70 buckaroos? ;)
I still remember you saying that in a video :)

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Single player first person shooters don't work without a solid story, and Destiny's is a disaster.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Thanatos2k said:
Single player first person shooters don't work without a solid story
Then explain to me why Shadow Warrior and Hard Reset are so fuckin' brilliant? You can argue that Shadow Warrior has a decent story, but that game would rock even without one, just like Hard Reset.

By the way, those games are SP only and probably not even 10% of Destiny's budget. SP only FPS can work really well when the developers are allowed to put some love and soul into their games instead of going through a checklist designed to milk as much money from as many people as humanly possible.

And Yahtzee, why haven't you reviewed Shadow Warrior yet? You're not a simpleton so what's your excuse?

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
To be fair the PS plus requirement is outside their control, that's Sony wanting their take for... what exactly? I mean, I have PS+ because as a "bulk rental" service it is totally worth it for the PS3 and Vita but what's the point of forcing it onto people just for MP? Oh, right, greed.

Anyway, has any game ever managed to combine shooting and procedurally generated loot into something that doesn't just feel like chewing through damage sponges slightly faster? I need toreinstall Hellgate one of these days since I remember liking the shooting but I cannot remember if it was as spongy as e.g. Borderlands.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Interesting you should mention that Yahtzee.

I don't like either cold, or lukewarm ketchup on my chips.
I prefer either satay sauce or mayonnaise.

So leave me to my own weird tastes and never mention that vile curse on chips again. Uuugghhh ketchup....

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
What's wrong with calling Destiny a lackluster MMORPG? Whats in a MMORPG that isn't in Destiny? It's massive, multiplayer, it's online and you're role playing. And it reflexively insists on being called a game, so what's the deal?
Destiny is a first person shooter(wish there was a shorter way of saying that) massive multiplayer online role player game.
I don't see the need for a new phrase when we have plenty of swears and phrases to use already.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I haven't played Destiny but the article kind of reminds me of the Serious Sam serious for the wrong way to do things. In the first Serious Sam it was a typical fun shooter with maze like corridors, but every once in a while usually at the end of the levels you'd come across these big open spaces where you'd get wave after wave of enemies thrown at you, and it was really fun. Fast forward to Serious Sam 2, and the 'corridors' became much shorter and less significant simply taking you from one big open room with waves of enemies to the next one 5 minutes later, all the way through the game. Someone must have listened to gamers from the first one that those were the funnest parts and cranked them up in the sequel, but over saturation dulled the experience.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
At least with Spectacle Fighter it made some kind of sense. Both Spunkgargleweewee and this genre are entirely subjective. What's bland to one person will be fun to another, thus removing the meadow shooter title.

Aerotrain

Sep 7, 2014
Ten billion squillion dollars!? How are they supposed to blow your mind with shiny new graphics then? Bah! Nonsense.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
Thanatos2k said:
Single player first person shooters don't work without a solid story
Then explain to me why Shadow Warrior and Hard Reset are so fuckin' brilliant? You can argue that Shadow Warrior has a decent story, but that game would rock even without one, just like Hard Reset.

By the way, those games are SP only and probably not even 10% of Destiny's budget. SP only FPS can work really well when the developers are allowed to put some love and soul into their games instead of going through a checklist designed to milk as much money from as many people as humanly possible.

And Yahtzee, why haven't you reviewed Shadow Warrior yet? You're not a simpleton so what's your excuse?
I'll rephrase - single player first person shooters will become repetitive without a solid story. The gameplay only gets you so far after decades of shooters.

Homosapian

Sep 17, 2014
I find it depressing that I found this article immediately after reading an article that says it the best selling new IP of all time and that it smashed records.
Now I don't know if people are stupid or Yahtzee is being overly cynical, since both of these are the case 90% of the time.