Trailer: Watch Tak3n Kill Off a Main Character

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Trailer: Watch Tak3n Kill Off a Main Character

Third installment of the moneymaking Taken franchise ups the stakes... by "fridging" a main character

Up until now, the trope [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/6372-Taken-2] by virtue of Liam Neeson's constantly-imperiled female family members actually surviving to the end of the films.

Not anymore, apparently.

The new trailer for the third film (which, yes, is actually called Tak3n) reveals that this time, the inciting incident that will spur superdad Brian Mills to unleash his "very specific set of skills" on a gauntlet of enemies is being framed for the murder of his wife (Famke Jannsen). Forrest Whitaker also joins the series for the first time in the Tommy Lee Jones Fugitive role of the lawman charged with tracking Mills down. Maggie Grace returns as Mills' daughter, who was the victim in the original film and saw action of her own the sequel.

While early plot descriptions for Part 3 made only vague reference to "a murder that hits close to home," many fans had already guessed that Jannsen's character would come to a bad end in the film. The film is once again directed by Olivier Megaton, and is scheduled for release on January 9th.

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Taken 3? No, no, we're not making that. Our movie is called TAK, then the number three, and then the letter N. You pronounce it 'tak-three-ehn'!

Sigh.... Seriously, Luc Besson? That title?

Hope this is going to be good though. But trailer doesn't give much hope for greatness, at least not in the story department. :\

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Does Famke Jannsen die in, like, every movie or franchise she's in? Poor girl is turning into the Sean Bean of actresses.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
What?! A movie where someone close to the protagonist gets murdered?!
What?! This character also happens to be a woman?!
Oh No Bob! It's misogyny!

Better rev up that keyboard, put your "Smash the Patriarchy" hat on and write a passive aggressive article about it instead of tackling the actual issue about how to make a good action sequel that escalate the odds from the previous movie and find a new way to motivate the protagonist without killing one of the main characters all while maintaining the framework of the Taken series.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Toilet said:
What?! A movie where someone close to the protagonist gets murdered?!
What?! This character also happens to be a woman?!
Oh No Bob! It's misogyny!

Better rev up that keyboard, put your "Smash the Patriarchy" hat on and write a passive aggressive article about it instead of tackling the actual issue about how to make a good action sequel that escalate the odds from the previous movie and find a new way to motivate the protagonist without killing one of the main characters all while maintaining the framework of the Taken series.

Only straight white men are allowed to die or be the bad guy in entertainment otherwise it's racist/sexist/homophobic.

And that's how it should be, Bob explains why here ( http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/3183-Skin-Deep )

Remember all straight white men are rich and powerful and any who say otherwise is a liar just as any who disagree that killing women/non white's/LGBT in entertainment is bad only believes that because they are sexist, racist and homophobic themselves.

/thread

/s

kennyloo69

Nov 16, 2009
At first I didn't know just how action packed Liam Neeson's next installment of the Taken series would be. Good thing Bob reminded us with a paragraph devoted to how a woman dies in the movie.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
TAK3N! It's actually CALLED TAK3N? TAKE-three-N, COME ON!

Taken is fun, and after rewatching it a few times it's still fun, Taken 2 was shit because of how stupid most of the movie is BUT ALSO somehow makes all, ALL the characters forget about every part of the first one, where some character pretty much outright says "IT'S NOT LIKE I CAN BE KIDANAPPED OR SOMETHING"

But if anything, I'm going to watch the shit out of this thing, no matter how bad it can be, pretty much just because the "wife" dies, there is nothing more annoying than her in both of the previous films.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Liam, we need to have a talk.

You're an awesome actor and you've proven your dramatic skills time and time again. Lately, you've been going through a Dad phase, making movies for disenfranchised fiftysomethings with power fantasies to fulfill. You've charted that road pretty well over the past few years, even going so far as to poke fun at it in The Lego Movie. That's fine.

Now please, for the love of Oskar Schindler and Michael Collins, find something meatier.

Captcha: Good for nothing
I disagree, Captcha. Neeson has a few good roles in him yet.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
IamLEAM1983 said:

You're an awesome actor and you've proven your dramatic skills time and time again. Lately, you've been going through a Dad phase, making movies for disenfranchised fiftysomethings with power fantasies to fulfill. You've charted that road pretty well over the past few years, even going so far as to poke fun at it in The Lego Movie. That's fine.

Now please, for the love of Oskar Schindler and Michael Collins, find something meatier.

"making movies for disenfranchised fiftysomethings"

That's more a grandfather phase since most men in the late 40 - early 50's are grandfathers.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Nice way to up the ante. I didn't know how they would do yet another kidnapping thing. Well played.

NCLanceman

Sep 8, 2014
Baresark said:
Nice way to up the ante. I didn't know how they would do yet another kidnapping thing. Well played.
I was kinda thinking they'd just go around the world. First one was in France, then Turkey. I would've put money down on some place in Asia like Hong Kong or Tokyo. But then again, if they last two movies taught anyone anything it's "don't go to foreign countries", so I guess LA is as good a place as any.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Isn't the first Taken the movie where the daughter's friend also got kidnapped, only she got killed off and the daughter was spared by the virtue of being a virgin?

Yeah, I'm not seeing the social regress in that francise.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
*sigh*

Yeah, I'll just stand over here with everyone else that facepalmed when they found out 1: that this movie was being made and 2: it was going to have a number serve as a letter.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
P-89 Scorpion said:
IamLEAM1983 said:

That's more a grandfather phase since most men in the late 40 - early 50's are grandfathers.
That's reeeaaally heavily dependent on what part of the world you're in.

OT: Oh fuck everything. "Vote with your wallet" they said, well i didn't fucking see Taken 2 and from what i could tell hardly any of my friends went to see it either so who in the saltiest parts of hell are they catering to with this movie?

Taken was fine as a standalone thing, just like Boondock Saints a series in which i also didn't watch the sequel.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Ulquiorra4sama said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
IamLEAM1983 said:

That's reeeaaally heavily dependent on what part of the world you're in.

OT: Oh fuck everything. "Vote with your wallet" they said, well i didn't fucking see Taken 2 and from what i could tell hardly any of my friends went to see it either so who in the saltiest parts of hell are they catering to with this movie?

Taken was fine as a standalone thing, just like Boondock Saints a series in which i also didn't watch the sequel.

I'm in the UK and 33 and have met many people in my age group 30-35 who are already grandparents. For the UK as a whole it seems 49 is the average age ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1494949/Average-age-of-the-first-time-grandparent-is-now-under-50.html ).

I can't imagine the USA is that much different as our demographics are usually similar.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I skipped Taken 2. From the reviews and the word of mouth, that was a good idea. I am going to see this one. Come On! It has a number for a letter! Being a Prince fan, that means it's going to be AWESOME! Just kidding. I am going to see it, because they are doing something different with the character.

About Moviebob's SJW moment, I really don't understand why seeking revenge for a death of loved one who is female is sexist. So, when a female loved one is murdered. The male protagonist should shrug his shoulders and say, "Oh well, shit happens." Then he moves on with his life without seeking revenge.

Being sensitive to gender issues is a good thing. There is such a thing as being over-sensitive to a point where you are undermining what you are trying to accomplish.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
kennyloo69 said:
Grabehn said:
TAK3N! It's actually CALLED TAK3N? TAKE-three-N, COME ON!
But now they can call the fourth one T4KEN
Once Bob reviews it, I assume he'll use the same thing he did with SCRE4M, and I've seen Yahtzee do it too.