Destiny 1.0.2 Patch Live, Fixes Engram Issues

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Destiny 1.0.2 Patch Live, Fixes Engram Issues

Destiny's 1.0.2 patch has gone live and will make Rare and Legendary Engrams more consistently valuable.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/destiny>Destiny has captured the hearts and minds of countless gamers, many of whom even now are running and gunning their way through its HD hordes on a quest for interstellar loot and glory. That being the case, it's also a game possessing <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/12236-Destiny-Review>some substantial problems. More specifically, its loot system has left many players frustrated thanks to its tendency to reward their hard work with items not even remotely worth the time and effort it took to earn them.

It's a complaint that Bungie is now aiming to silence with the release of patch 1.0.2. Announced last week and live today, the new patch is designed to "address some widely-discussed concerns with how Engrams are earned and claimed." Going forward, Rare and Legendary Engram drops will be added to the potential rewards for the games Daily Heroic Missions, Weekly Heroic Missions and the Vanguard: Tiger Strike playlist. These Engrams, in turn, are being modified so that Legendary and Rare engrams will "always produce" an item of equivalent or higher value.

The patch will also lower the weight on the First Light in Control and Clash and Bastion missions to make them less prominent in playlists and will also reduce their time limits from 15 to 12 minutes. Players interested in utilizing the 1.0.2 update will be able to download it free in Destiny. The full patch notes can also be found at Bungie's <a href=http://www.bungie.net/7_Update-102---Patch-Notes/en/News/News?aid=12235>official website for those inclined to give them a gander.

Source: <a href=http://www.bungie.net/7_Update-102---Patch-Notes/en/News/News?aid=12235>Bungie

JoJoDelight

Jan 13, 2014
StewShearer said:
The parch will also lower the weight on the First Light in Control and Clash and Bastion missions
I know Destiny players are thirsty for more content, but I'm guessing this is a mistake.

OT: I'm sure this will no doubt bring joy to many of the game's players, and that this patch will help to alleviate some of the main issues that people have. The loot system has been considered a joke for far too long, though personally I'll still refrain from a purchase until I can rest easy that the game deserves my money.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Good on the Destiny players, though my interest still displays a total lack of being piqued. All I'm hoping for is that the patch doesn't make the Legendary Engram Twitter account obsolete, because that's markedly more fun than the game itself.

Jak2364

Feb 9, 2010
JoJoDelight said:
OT: I'm sure this will no doubt bring joy to many of the game's players, and that this patch will help to alleviate some of the main issues that people have. The loot system has been considered a joke for far too long, though personally I'll still refrain from a purchase until I can rest easy that the game deserves my money.
It definitely doesn't, at least not yet. I get the feeling it won't be worth it till a GOTY edition comes out right before Destiny 2/whatever they'll call the next one. There's just not nearly enough to do in this game.

This is honestly one of the first times I'm regretting buying a game. Usually I can find some bright side, there's always something that makes it feel worth it, but this feels totally incomplete. :/

Oh yeah, plus there's the fact that they haven't addressed the recent controversies over the disk locked content and story overhaul in any meaningful way. I'd even be okay with a "We're preparing a statement on this" post. Just let us know you're listening.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
StewShearer said:
Players interested in utilizing the 1.0.2 update will be able to download free in Destiny.
Unfortunately, none of these patches, free though they may be, will fill the narrative void Bungie left vacant in Destiny.

Jak2364 said:
It definitely doesn't, at least not yet. I get the feeling it won't be worth it till a GOTY edition comes out right before Destiny 2/whatever they'll call the next one. There's just not nearly enough to do in this game.
So, maybe I'll bite when/if they release a PC GOTY edition with the DLC bundled. Otherwise, I stick to games with more and better story like Fallout or even FTL.

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
well at least they fixed one of the mountain of problems the game has, although why was the game released with such a huge bug in the first place?

was doing some proper testing too much for the $500 million budget?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Sounds good to me. Now all they need to do (yes, outside of add more content) is put in some way to exchange the various currencies for each other so that gear all items can be earned at least currency wise via any play style. That would pretty much get the loot/gear side of things nicely set up for wherever they go moving forward.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Too little too late imo, just a bandage to try to hide the piss poor amount of content you still have to grind in order to get those engrams, or that there is no way to trade items between players. Just disappointing to see despite all that money and time we get a game this lacking of features and content.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Escapist, please stop making articles about Destiny bug/exploit/complaint fixes. It's not news, and it contributes to the overhype that caused this game to get such low review scores. Just let it fall into place as a niche game that has a lot of unused potential, and keep an eye out for when it gets good.

Speaking of which, where's the article for the massive Battlefield 4 patch?

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
ryukage_sama said:
StewShearer said:
Players interested in utilizing the 1.0.2 update will be able to download free in Destiny.
Unfortunately, none of these patches, free though they may be, will fill the narrative void Bungie left vacant in Destiny.
My opinion on Destiny is hinged 100% on free additional story content. It's obviously only the very beginning of the story, but if we have to wait six months for the next instalment, and if I have to pay for that instalment...

Well.

Someone's getting stitches.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Well, last night I got a Legendary Auto Rifle just before I got off. I've been holding off on taking the messages I've got from the Cryptarch as they can give three Legendary Engrams. With any luck, I may add to me booty tonight.

Admittedly, I haven't seen too much issue with the Legendary Engrams. While my Rares often gave green items, they more often gave me Blue quality. And of the five Legendary ones I've picked up (three were from the Cryptarch) four of them gave me Legendary quality items. Still no Exotics, but I have enough Strange Coins to buy one if that Vendor pops back up.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
Riotguards said:
well at least they fixed one of the mountain of problems the game has, although why was the game released with such a huge bug in the first place?

I dont think it was a bug because if you actually play the game you get a lot of legendaries. I have played at most thirty hours or so and I have full legendary gear plus two exotics. Even with most of my legendary engrams turning into rares it has not been a problem. This will help me upgrade my gear faster but its not really needed.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Still haven't had the chance to hop back on. Looking forward to seeing how the updates work out. Maybe I'll see my first legendary drop. :p

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Escapist, please stop making articles about Destiny bug/exploit/complaint fixes. It's not news, and it contributes to the overhype that caused this game to get such low review scores. Just let it fall into place as a niche game that has a lot of unused potential, and keep an eye out for when it gets good.
The most expensive game on Earth is a niche game?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
RA92 said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:
The cost of making it has no bearing on its place in popular culture. Popular culture decides what is and isn't niche.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Denamic said:
RA92 said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:
The cost of making it has no bearing on its place in popular culture. Popular culture decides what is and isn't niche.
I was talking about its sustainability as a niche product. The vast expenses went into the marketing ensured it's in the minds of the collective. Its cost made sure it can be in only two possible discreet states - either popular or unsuccessful.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
Little Gray said:
Riotguards said:

I dont think it was a bug because if you actually play the game you get a lot of legendaries. I have played at most thirty hours or so and I have full legendary gear plus two exotics. Even with most of my legendary engrams turning into rares it has not been a problem. This will help me upgrade my gear faster but its not really needed.
Then you are one of the lucky ones, I've been playing for just as long if not longer (Titan Level 23+) and in that time I've had precisely one legendary drop (which turned into a green helmet), so IMO the loot system is broken, far too many greens drop and not enough blue or purple drops. I'm going to give this patch a shot but really if things don't improve soon then it's to the trade in store for thee Destiny.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
RA92 said:
The vast expenses went into the marketing ensured it's in the minds of the collective. Its cost made sure it can be in only two possible discreet states - either popular or unsuccessful.
That much is evident given the inordinate amount of press Destiny is receiving.
Yes, it's a major release, but is it a major release because of its merits, or just the extent of its marketing campaign?
I think we all know the answer to that one, even if we aren't supposed to say it out loud.

Case in point: Why would Bungie "fixing" a feature so obviously designed to extend grinding sessions be news?
Oh, right. Destiny is still in its critical sales period of two weeks, and already has a reputation for being bland, and excessively grindy (to an "unfair" degree at that).

Press coverage of a patch that "fixes" that issue would retroactively appeal to those who were on the fence because of the odds built into their grind system by helping dismiss prior criticism and provide another round of market exposure to those late to the party.

From a marketing perspective, such an article is pure gravy for Bungie/Activision.
From any other perspective, it's baffling and devoid of authorship; especially compared to the dozens of games whose patch notes don't receive any press-coverage or attention on a near-weekly basis.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Daaaah Whoosh said:

Speaking of which, where's the article for the massive Battlefield 4 patch?
Pretty sure the game didn't get low review scores because Escapist posted articles about it. It got low review scores because it's not a good game. That's it.