Pathologic Brings High Concept Horror to the Open World

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Pathologic Brings High Concept Horror to the Open World

The Escapist speaks with two members of Ice-Pick Lodge about how they hope to turn a cult classic into something greater.

Read Full Article

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Tried to play the original back then and could see the potential but didnt manage to go far because of how rough around the edges it was.

It did seem to be a great detective/mistery game as the player really needs to think on his own on what and how to do next.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
I'm really looking forward to this. The original Pathologic is one of my favourite games of all time.

It was really interesting how it wasn't a scary horror game, it was just oppressive and exhausting to play. The horror part comes from the fact that you're constantly getting closer and closer to dying from starvation or disease, and the only thing you can do is to try to slow down the process. Also, having the choice between the three playable characters was great, because you only see the events from that character's perspective, so some parts of the story look very different depending on who you chose.

I hope they can make something as good again.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
OK, I am going to be the weird one and say those Tragedians look moderately sexy.

OT: I might back it but what was that turnbased combat gif?

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Saulkar said:
It'c alled the darkest dungeon. It's supposed to have elements that make your companions go mad and get worse in combat. Anyway, it's a different game entirely.

SilverHunter

Sep 22, 2014
Just a quick note, screen shot #5 isn't for this game, but another Kickstarter game called Darkest Dungeon, which ended a while ago.

I definitely had to pause when I came across the game while looking around Kickstarter, since the name sounded painfully familiar as did the premise. Lo and behold, it was the gog game had often looked at and thought about buying. I love the premise of the game, but still deciding on if I'll back it now or wait till it comes out so I can see some reviews on it. It seems like it'll be a love it or hate it game for me, so it's a hard choice.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
hickwarrior said:
Saulkar said:
It'c alled the darkest dungeon. It's supposed to have elements that make your companions go mad and get worse in combat. Anyway, it's a different game entirely.
Someone derped up. XD

I was never one for turn based combat as my mom bought me some very, very, cheap Final Fantasy knockoffs as a kid that permanently killed my interest in turnbased combat. So much so that it is questionable that a decent story could keep me playing.

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
SilverHunter said:
Just a quick note, screen shot #5 isn't for this game, but another Kickstarter game called Darkest Dungeon, which ended a while ago.
That's not right and I will correct that immediately. Looks like whoever uploaded the gallery for me didn't quite pay attention to what they were doing!

Kegluneq

Aug 3, 2010
Glad to see this getting some coverage here. One of the rather more significant problems with the original game was the (outsourced) translation, which in English was nigh on incomprehensible. That's something I'm looking forward to seeing fixed this time round!

As a sidenote, the screenshot of the cartoon-style boy won't be representative of the final game. Rather, that was a style that they tried out for the update but ended up discarding.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Too bad the stretch goals don't look like they're going to end up being met, they look interesting.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Well, I wish them good luck. Pathologic was the biggest waste of potential in video games history for me. Setting was amazing, mystery intriguing, I love the "multiple characters helping/messing with the personal goals of others" angle, set timer to find out all the happenings in town, and actually hard and demanding survival elements (not getting infected by day 5 or 6 was nigh impossible for me)... It seems like my dream game. It's just a shame that the gameplay was just horrible, there's no other word for that. Awkward controls, terrible gun, and even worse fist combat, and to top it off horrendous translation. Such a shame.

Really hope they will pull it off this time.

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
For anyone interested, Rock Paper Shotgun did a great (albeit spoilery) three-part review of the original Pathologic. I recommend reading at least a little of it if this game piques your interest.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/04/10/butchering-pathologic-part-1-the-body/

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Oh, this is so cool. It's everything I never knew I wanted.

I'm rather tired of boring 1st person "horror" games that rip off lovecraft. This looks legitimately interesting.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I've been quite interested in the original for a while, but it's criticisms about it's bad english translation and such have scared me off of it, this remake however, if it fixes and improves upon it's original shortcomings, then I'll definitely make it a priority to get.

Bluehawk2008

May 25, 2014
Fox12 said:

I'm rather tired of boring 1st person "horror" games that rip off lovecraft. This looks legitimately interesting.
But this looks like it could have a Lovecraftian influence, in terms of tone rather than blatantly ripped off monster designs and a verbose inner monologue. At least, it looks like some of the dreams I had after I binge-read HPL. The comparison is usually a disservice though.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Bluehawk2008 said:
Fox12 said:

But this looks like it could have a Lovecraftian influence, in terms of tone rather than blatantly ripped off monster designs and a verbose inner monologue. At least, it looks like some of the dreams I had after I binge-read HPL. The comparison is usually a disservice though.
Maybe, but as long as they're not overbearing it's fine. They definitely seem to have a unique look and spin on the horror genre. I'm typically rather tired of first person horror games, since they tend to limit the characterization that made games like Silent Hill great, but I could give this a chance. I like the fact that the horror comes from more real life things. It's very macabre. It reminds me of Spec Ops, in that the horror comes from ideas and atmosphere, and not from just monsters. I also like the fact that guns seem to be included. I always found resource management with weapons more frightening then having no weapons at all. It makes for better pacing, since those moment where you can't defend yourself stand out.

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
I've given the original Pathologic a spin but was put off by the bad translation and painful interface. I'd love to support Pathologic 2, but I'm afraid the money will end up being used to invade Estonia or annex more Ukraine. As much as I love the concept and fresh spin on game design, I won't funnel my money to Russia.