Rumor: Marvel Wants Ethan Hawke For Doctor Strange

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Rumor: Marvel Wants Ethan Hawke For Doctor Strange

New rumor says Boyhood star could be the frontrunner for Marvel's Sorcerer Supreme

Marvel Studios apparently really, really wanted Joaquin Phoenix to be Doctor Strange. But the famously mercurial actor was uncharacteristically underwhelming [http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/28/joaquin-phoenix-still-in-the-mix-for-doctor-strange...-but-for-how-long/] SDCC showing earlier this year.

Now, This is Infamous [http://thisisinfamous.com/exclusive-ethan-hawke-in-talks-to-become-doctor-strange/] claims that Marvel has moved on from Phoenix entirely; and that their new top choice is another quirky but familiar face: Ethan Hawke.

If true, the rumor makes a lot of sense. On paper, Hawke is exactly the type of leading-man Marvel has largely pursued: An established name but not "A-list" expensive, likes to split his time between moneymaking genre movies and prestige indie features, currently "hot" from the critical/festival success of Boyhood. Most notably of all, though, is that he has history with Strange writer/director Scott Derrickson - they teamed for the horror hit Sinister back in 2012.

There has been no comment from Marvel, Hawke or Phoenix at this time.

Source: This Is Infamous [http://thisisinfamous.com/exclusive-ethan-hawke-in-talks-to-become-doctor-strange/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Well, he's got the look if not the strangeness (no pun intended) for the part. I can definitely see him as stuck up asshole surgeon Stephen Strange, and he might surprise me as Master of the Mystic Arts Strange. Eh, they could certainly do worse.

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
Every time I panic seeing a Marvel casting I remember:

Robert... Downey... Jr...

If it works, it works. Then again, I'm one of those freaks that genuinely thinks Ben Affleck will be a decent Batman (or at least better than West, Bale, and Clooney)

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
Having fallen behind on this rumor for a while, I'm just glad to hear it isn't Johnny Depp anymore. I like to think we're all thankful for that.

captcha: freezing temperatures

How ominous :I

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Ethan Hawke can work... I wasn't too hot on Joaquin Phoenix, despite him being a great actor. I just didn't see him sticking with the role.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I always considered Jim Caviezel as an interesting choice for Dr. Strange, but I can see Ethan Hawke working very well.

In addition, I was only rarley let down by Marvel's casting choices, even when I wasn't convinced by it before I saw the movies. I was very sceptical about Mark Ruffalo and Chris Evans, but was convinced once I went to the cinema.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
GamerMage said:
Mezahmay said:
Having fallen behind on this rumor for a while, I'm just glad to hear it isn't Johnny Depp anymore. I like to think we're all thankful for that.

captcha: freezing temperatures

How ominous :I
Especially considering how he is THESE days...(Cough)Dark Shadows(Cough) Excuse me.
Watched Trascendence last weekend and he was pretty.."normal" in that one. So he can do it. He just doesn't do it often.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I like this casting choice more than Phoenix, to be truthful.

Not that I have anything against him. I just didn't picture him on the part. Hawke, on the other hand...

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Rex Dark said:
Marvel sure does seem to want someone with a bird as a last name.
A long as it's not Russell Crowe.

OT: Wasn't he the ass hole genius guy in Reality Bites?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
So far, I haven't seen a single casting option for Dr Strange that I like. Of course... for the life of me I can't think of who should play him.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I was always under the impression that he had disappeared from public view sometime after Training Day and was surprised to see his name come up again so often lately, but I looked up his filmography - this guy has had work in one way or the other nearly every year for the past two decades. I almost wonder if he really would take something this steady and consistent considering the diverse body of work he's used to, though he technically already did a trilogy with the "Before..." movies.

I will say though that I really don't enjoy the idea of casting based on relationships with the directors. I know camaraderie helps smooth things out, but it also feels like business comes first and character and appropriateness comes second.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Xerosch said:
I always considered Jim Caviezel as an interesting choice for Dr. Strange, but I can see Ethan Hawke working very well.

In addition, I was only rarley let down by Marvel's casting choices, even when I wasn't convinced by it before I saw the movies. I was very sceptical about Mark Ruffalo and Chris Evans, but was convinced once I went to the cinema.
Hmm, Jim Caviezel would actually be a great choice in my opinion. After seeing him in The Count of Monte Christo, I think he would be perfect as Dr. Strange. He was awesome in that. It's one of my all time favorite movies.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I can see it. I guess time will tell if he will get the role or not.