8 Great Dystopian Books You Should Have Read

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Great Dystopian Books You Should Have Read

Everyone loves a dystopia, so today we're giving you eight great dystopian novels to keep you entertained. So prepare for a world where things aren't that great.

Read Full Article

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
A lot of good ones. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood could have joined the list. Tells the story of Snowman, the last surviving human who's the caretaker of primitive human-like creatures that were bio-engineered by Snowman's best friend. For a science-fiction dystopian, it's highly believable, relatable and most importantly, inventive.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I'm sorry, I think you forgot Lord of the Flies, the greatest dystopian novel of all. I could add my voice to the 1984 people, but I won't.

I don't get V for Vendetta. It was okay, I guess, for a young writer, but I wouldn't hold it up to classic works of literature. Heck, you could probably make a stronger case for Watchmen as a dystopian novel if you really wanted to.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
I can see not wanting to put the obvious answer in a list you're trying to keep short, but cmon, 1984. That was required reading in my high school english. I was practically raised on 1984.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Oh look, it's my high school senior ye-- Wait.

Wait...

1984 isn't here?

Oh no

IT'S HAPPENING.

Flutterbrave

Dec 10, 2009
Forget 1984 and Brave New World, everybody who's read a dystopian novel has probably already read both of them anyway. At this point it's like writing a list of the best kitchen gadgets and including a fridge and an oven. You're not wrong, but c'mon. We knew that.

I'd plug *Inverted World*, which I think has the (perhaps dubious) honour of being the weirdest dystopian fiction I've read. To summarise, the planet is infinite in size, while the universe is finite. Geometry ensues.