Twin Peaks Returns to Television

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Twin Peaks Returns to Television

David Lynch's cult-classic will return as a Showtime limited series

The rumors are true! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137811-Twin-Peaks-Tweets-Could-Mean-The-Show-Is-Returning] 25 years after its groundbreaking original run on ABC, Mark Frost and director David Lynch are bringing their infamous mind-bending mystery series Twin Peaks back to television as a 9-episode limited series for Showtime.

Lynch will reportedly direct all 9 episodes, which will be set in the present day and once again be centered around the strange small town of the title. Kyle MacLachlan, currently playing a mysterious figure on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136710-Kyle-MacLachlan-Joins-Agents-of-S-H-I-E-L-D-in-Mystery-Doctor-Role] is rumored to return to his original lead role of Dale Cooper. Showtime will re-air the existing two seasons of the series in the lead-up to the new show.

Widely viewed as the precursor to modern dramas like True Detective, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/moviebob/11093-True-Detective-The-King-in-Yellow] the original series aired on ABC in 1990. It involved an FBI Agent investigating the murder of a young woman in an isolated Washington town inflected with Lynch's signature surreal/disturbing themes and imagery, including strange dream sequences and a cast of characters (and suspects) who all appeared to be a little bit... off. A 1992 feature film, Fire Walk With Me, served as prologue and epilogue to the series, which was canceled but attained massive cult status almost immediately after.

No details have yet been provided as to the storyline of the new series.

StHubi

Jan 15, 2010
Wow... I am so surprised and happy at once. But I also worry about the outcome... But so far I was never disappointed by David Lynch and try to hope for the best :)

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
I loved the ambigous ending of the series (and Fire Walk With Me), so I think I should be afraid of them revealing too much.
Buuuut, on the other hand, it is David Lynch we're talking about here. So tying up loose ends isn't probably what he has in mind.
Perhaps we are coming back because the original ending wasn't ambiguous enough.

Hope to learn a little bit more about the blue rose cases (damn you Chris Isaak for not telling Keifer Sutherland about it... A wicked thing to do, indeed).

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
StHubi said:
Wow... I am so surprised and happy at once. But I also worry about the outcome... But so far I was never disappointed by David Lynch and try to hope for the best :)
You wasn't disappointed by Inland Empire? I saw it on a pratically empty movie theater and it was probably the scariest 3 and a half hours of my life... But its not a good movie, and I couldn't get it (though I tried). I had no problem understanding his other (great) movies, even Lost Highway...
I ciuldn't bring myself to watch Inland Empire again. I tried but it is too long and bleak... It sucks the living out of me. Like a long confusing and neverending nightmare. BUT I don't think it works as a movie. (And I think Holy Motors, for instance, works as a movie)

StHubi

Jan 15, 2010
Big_Boss_Mantis said:
You wasn't disappointed by Inland Empire? I saw it on a pratically empty movie theater and it was probably the scariest 3 and a half hours of my life... But its not a good movie, and I couldn't get it (though I tried). I had no problem understanding his other (great) movies, even Lost Highway...
I ciuldn't bring myself to watch Inland Empire again. I tried but it is too long and bleak... It sucks the living out of me. Like a long confusing and neverending nightmare. BUT I don't think it works as a movie. (And I think Holy Motors, for instance, works as a movie)
I really liked it :) It was completely surreal but still very fascinating for me and I watched it already twice...

StHubi

Jan 15, 2010
Big_Boss_Mantis said:
Hope to learn a little bit more about the blue rose cases (damn you Chris Isaak for not telling Keifer Sutherland about it... A wicked thing to do, indeed).
My guess was always that the blue rose is a symbol for something unnatural or supernatural or just not normal... Concerning the Story behind everything this seemed to fit. The FBI knows more than they let you know ;)

Punkster

Sep 9, 2014
Nice to see it finally confirmed.

I'm not surprised by this at all, seeing as all the signs were there already as to it's return.

Still though, this is welcomed news. Shame it won't be before 2016 but duck it, we've waited this long.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Diane, I have just received news that Twin Peaks is returning to television. Never been so happy in my damn life. Can you have the episodes expressed to me like you did with Lost and Doctor Who?

Oh Diane, I almost forgot. Got to find out what kind of trees these are. They're really something.

SexyGarfield

Mar 12, 2013
In the immortal words of agent Dale Cooper: "I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Edit: Just watched the youtube video and 2016! Why must you torture me Lynch!

small

Aug 5, 2014
trippy twin peaks is coming back. one of the advantages to the series being aired in 1990 was that spoilers were a hell of a lot easier to avoid, which is going to be a bigger issue this time around.

and i hope im not the only one weirded out by someone with the name moviebob revealing its coming back.. unless moviebob is.. bob.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
small said:
trippy twin peaks is coming back. one of the advantages to the series being aired in 1990 was that spoilers were a hell of a lot easier to avoid, which is going to be a bigger issue this time around.

and i hope im not the only one weirded out by someone with the name moviebob revealing its coming back.. unless moviebob is.. bob.
I have long held suspicions about links between the black lodge and the Escapist. The Mods are not what they seem. This is a definite blue rose case

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
Oddly enough, I just watched the season 2 finale today. Interestingly...

Right after Laura does that clicky-fingers thing shown in the trailer above, she says "see you in 25 years". Bear in mind that episode was broadcast in 1991.

I smell a conspiracy!
[sub]That or coffee.
Damn good coffee.[/sub]