Preview: Wet

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Preview: Wet

Things get slippery when we go hands-on with Artificial Mind and Movement's hyper-stylized shooter, which turns out to be a bit more than just a straight up kill-a-thon.

"I hope you shoot better than you f**k."

Rubi Malone, the protagonist of Artificial Mind and Movement's action-fest Wet, isn't the sultry, mysterious kind of femme fatale. She's like The Bride from Kill Bill, minus the tragic backstory. Basically, she kills stuff and is a mean, mean lady. She swears (example above). She kills people while sliding down a ladder upside down, she kills them while doing mid-air flips, she shoots them while running along walls. She opens doors with a katana ("F**k you door!"), drinks whiskey to regenerate her health, then throws the bottle in the air and shoots it.

If Rubi Malone, who's voiced by Buffy and Dollhouse star Eliza Dushku, sounds like some kind of amalgam of Lara Croft and Dante from Devil May Cry, you wouldn't be too far off from an estimate about how her game plays. Wet has the over-the-top gun-and-sword play of a modern third-person action title plus the platforming and feminine wiles of a Tomb Raider, all dolled up with a pitch-perfect 70s B-movie vibe.

Rubi basically lives her life in super slow-motion. At the press of a button she'll do an acrobatic leap, a rock star style slide across the floor or a wall-run (all in slow-mo, obviously), at which point you can pull the R trigger, which brings up a reticle and a cursor that sticks to an auto-chosen target. You control the reticle to shoot one gun, the game auto-fires onto the other target, and you can rack up double, triple, quadruple kills in a single slow-mo maneuver.

Kill 'em all, kill 'em in a cool-ass way, and kill 'em while talking trash to them. That's one half of Wet. The other half, which I spent the second part of my two-hour test drive of the game with, is less blood-pumping. In sharp contrast to the non-stop killing fields of the first couple levels, I was dropped into a seaside fortress surrounded by mines. Getting past them meant perfectly timed jumps, climbing along walls and, believe it or not, dodging falling explosive barrels. A mistake meant instant death, and straight back to the last checkpoint, which wasn't always conveniently placed.

Sounds less Devil May Cry and more Prince of Persia, right? As a fan of over-the-top action I found myself digging into the gunplay of Wet, which, if some of the mechanics are obtusely presented, still looks really cool and is satisfying on the most fundamental "I'm killing dudes with a sexy girl" level, but the platforming was something of a buzzkill.

There's even more of it in the challenge levels I tried out where you need to take Rubi through a series of hoops while shooting targets. These aren't optional levels, and they're difficult in the same brazenly artificial way the platforming is: if you miss a hoop or a jump, you're going to have to run all the way back around and find it again. Usually I'm not one to fuss, but I asked the producer to skip me forward to more shooting.

Wet certainly has more variety than you'd expect it to. In between the shooting and platforming, I was treated to a QTE-filled interlude in which Rubi did some "car-hopping" across the Golden Gate Bridge, jumping from car-to-car in moving traffic, bounding off the sides of 18 wheelers, killing folks with her katana along the way. It was exhilarating stuff, a bit like the Pegasus level in God of War II, except with uh, cars instead of Pegasuses.

I'm not entirely sure on what the ratio is for just straight up killing to platforming is in Wet, but the game could turn out to be a bit uneven if it's 1:1. Otherwise, it certainly seems to be a stylish and fun experience, a nice dose of gaming's simpler pleasures done up with a heap of retro flair and R-rated attitude. Fans of Stranglehold, Devil May Cry and Eliza Dushku's voice would do well to keep an eye on Wet when it hits stores September 15.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Hmm. It looks okay, but nothing I'd consider special. Stranglehold was okay for a while, but it eventually became rather dull, and I found myself longing to go back to Max Payne instead of continuing.

If there's a demo of Wet I'll try it with an open mind, but nothing about it screams awesome so far apart from Eliza Dushku and the Grindhouse look.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
I don't look forward to games all that often. Last time I did was Fallout 3, and the last time before it was probably with Final Fantasy X.
This however, is one game I am looking forward to.

The gameplay footage so far looked extremely easy, I hope that it's not how the actual game is going to turn out to be. I'm hoping for a bit of challenge in this, so you'll actually need the acrobatics and slo-mo, rather than it being a nice extra.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Sounds like Kill Bill- The Game. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Still, if the developers find enough time to refine the gameplay as much as possible before release, then I for one will most likely check this one out.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
AboveUp said:
I don't look forward to games all that often. Last time I did was Fallout 3, and the last time before it was probably with Final Fantasy X.
This however, is one game I am looking forward to.

The gameplay footage so far looked extremely easy, I hope that it's not how the actual game is going to turn out to be. I'm hoping for a bit of challenge in this, so you'll actually need the acrobatics and slo-mo, rather than it being a nice extra.
I didn't mention this, but this game actually is pretty damn hard, in all of the sections. I died a bunch...the thing is that at some points if you start to lose health if you don't keep your multiplier up, which makes things pretty rough going and forces you to constantly use special moves. Otherwise even the early stages have a lot of enemies, and sometimes it feels like they take quite a few shots to kill. The katana is way overpowered though.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
Keane Ng said:
I expected the katana to be so judging by the footage I saw. The fact the game is hard is good news to me. Over the top awesome actions feel way more rewarding if it actually takes some effort to effectively pull it off and survive.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
I might demo it, but I'm not so sure this is the game for me. The fact that you asked to skip part of it is a bit off-putting.

But a friend of mine would absolutely love this game, if its as Tarantino as you implied. I should send him a link...

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
scnj said:
If there's a demo of Wet I'll try it with an open mind, but nothing about it screams awesome so far apart from Eliza Dushku and the Grindhouse look.
There's one up on the PSN if you want to try it, I assume there must be one up on the Live Marketplace as well.

Spucktier

Jul 13, 2009
Tried the PSN demo yesterday and it felt somewhat cheap and empty. Ok, it's not an open world game - but running through narrow corridors filled with... nothing?... got kinda boring.

A nice thing in the demo was a scene where Rubi goes all the way psycho - she shoots someone in the face, his blood lands on her face and then the world turns red, enemies black and blood white. Rubi runs faster and instead of two pistols she carries two SMGs. It's easily one of the most fun "berserk" or "bloodlust" modes I've seen so far

But in the end it left a quite unpolished impression on me. In terms of gameplay it certainly is quite fun but takes some time to get into. The graphical presentation is hard to describe. There are some nice effects and textures, really well done parts. On the other hand the world looks empty and without life, a chinatown plaza in which you had to do some platforming in order to stop respawning enemies had different graphical styles combined but it didn't really look coherent.

I say: wait a year and grab it for 25 bucks.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I played the demo and I'm thoroughly unimpressed. The grindhouse look of the game is fantastic, as is Eliza Dushku, but the gameplay was too reminiscent of the disappointing Stranglehold. The moves were fun the first few times, but the fact I had to jump or slide to go into slow motion in order to even shoot effectively was annoying at the best of times.

The aiming was overly sensitive, and the crosshair was tiny. There were times when it blended in with the background, which didn't help matters. Speaking of blending in, the graphics are rather shoddy. Enemy models are repetitive, and difficult to see at times because of how bland they were against the background.

The part that really ruined it for me however, was the much vaunted arena battle. Respawning enemies? Really? It's 2009, not 1999, I thought gaming had moved on from such cheap ways to raise the difficulty years ago. Again, the graphical complaints come into effect here, since I had to close three doors by destroying their control boxes. Sadly, the bland graphics and constant stream of enemies made finding a way to get to these controls nigh impossible, so it was here I switched off.

My friend tells me that the demo gets much better after that, but I don't want to have to wade through shit in order to find a small amount of gold. Ultimately, it could have been fun, but it just wasn't.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
I actually dug the demo, in fact it pushed this game from 'barely on my radar' to 'probably gonna buy'.

I love the style of the game, and wow. The soundtrack. Where to begin? When most action games are content to give us (surprise!) more more 'badass' nu metal tunes, or shitty faux-epic orchestration, this game gives us what? a rockabilly/psychobilly/punk soundtrack. Veeeery cool. Earns points for that.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
scnj said:
The part that really ruined it for me however, was the much vaunted arena battle. Respawning enemies? Really? It's 2009, not 1999, I thought gaming had moved on from such cheap ways to raise the difficulty years ago. Again, the graphical complaints come into effect here, since I had to close three doors by destroying their control boxes. Sadly, the bland graphics and constant stream of enemies made finding a way to get to these controls nigh impossible, so it was here I switched off.
they show you how to get up to those switches as soon as you enter the place, when the show off each switch

as for me i loved the demo and ordering the game.

tho you did forget to mention the psychobilly soundtrack the game has, which is totally awesome. i hope they release a sound track for the game