65: Trading (Web) Cards

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
"Now in its ninth edition, Magic not only dominates card games and the paper gaming hobby; it also looms large in the history of games on the internet. Magic reshaped net gaming, and vice versa. This caught Wizards off-guard. Adkison the engineer was, by the standards of the early 1990s, remarkably net-savvy; he secured wizards.com the instant he started his company, long before most publishers had ever heard of a domain name. Yet the net confounded his expectations about Magic's players, and the players in turn bulldozed Wizards' early plans for the DeckMaster series."
Trading (Web) Cards

Meophist

Jul 11, 2006
Reminds me of the in-game card mini-games in video games, starting with Final Fantasy VIII. One that I had particular fun with was Xenocards in Xenosaga.

IanSchreiber

Oct 6, 2006
"SOE has already moved into virtual asset sales with its Station Exchange, launched for EverQuest II in July 2006. Online card games are a natural extension of this idea"

Natural indeed... why no mention of the fact that Chron X was on The Station for a few years before the two gracefully parted ways?

"Worlds Apart founder and president Scott Martins claimed a successful online card game can generate an average of $70 per player each month."

$800+ per year ON AVERAGE sounds excessive; I suspect a typo. Maybe 70/month for the hardcore section of the player base, or 70/year average, or 70 per player lifetime average.

Either that, or Blizzard is leaving a truly obscene amount of money on the table by not adding micropayments in WoW...

APVarney

Writer and game designer
Aug 15, 2006
Not mentioned? "The first online trading card game was Chron X in May 1997, followed by Sanctum and several more over the years." My article even offers a link to Sanctum's Wikipedia entry.

But I didn't know Sony's station had once carried Chron X. Thanks for the info.