Marvel Is Done With "Crappy" Movie Games

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Marvel Is Done With "Crappy" Movie Games

Marvel has declared that from here on out, it's done with making "crappy" games to tie in with Marvel movies, hopefully meaning we never have to suffer through another Iron Man.

The movie game tie-in is a staple of the games business, and there is no more flagrant a culprit when it comes to these almost always godawful games than none other than comic and entertainment powerhouse Marvel. Remember Iron Man? Pretty decent movie. Not so decent game. Horrible game, even if all you played was the demo.

It'll never happen again, Marvel says. The company has turned over a new leaf and are hereby saying adios to what they specifically call crappy movie games. "We are not doing movie-based games anymore," Marvel's Ira Rubenstein said. "Actually, wait ... we are not doing crappy movie-based games anymore. You can quote me on that."

Rubenstein says that X-Men Origins: Wolverine will be the kind of thing Marvel is looking to do with its movie tie-ins now. That is, a game experience that stands on its own and relates to the movie property but isn't churned out as a cheap replication. Rubenstein has high hopes for the next Iron Man game and is optimistic for the Thor game as well.

When I was first starting out in this business I was asked to review the Hulk game for the DS. That's what they call hazing the new guy, or making the intern play the games nobody else wants to. I'm glad Marvel is now committed to quality, but this leaves us with a dilemma. What games will we use to torture interns now? Imagine Frogz, I'm looking at you.

[Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/19/marvel-not-doing-crappy-movie-games-anymore-says-exec/]]

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Keane Ng said:
this leaves us with a dilemma. What games will we use to torture interns now?
Don't worry too much. Marvel is just one company. There will always be crap tie in games.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Now they're gonna make crummy movie-games.

I heard X-Men Origens: Wolverine was decent, because it stared out as a different game. But that they turned it into a Wolverine game when the movie was being made.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
I think they might be riding the X-Men Origins: Wolverine thunder a little bit carelessly. So they made one good movie tie-in game; does that really mean any of their other games are going to get better?

But then again, if 50 Cent can make a decent game, I'm pretty sure Marvel will be able to fart out some good games too. The default layout for generic games has been so fine-tuned, it seems almost anyone, even the laziest of developers (except Sonic Team), can make a decent game (as long as it uses the Unreal Engine and Havok Physics, of course.)

Hell, soon EVERYONE will be able to make good games. I'm looking forward to seeing a game called Bob: The Game.
[small]The sequel would be called Bob 2: The Revenge of Bob[/small]

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Casual Shinji said:

I heard X-Men Origens: Wolverine was decent, because it stared out as a different game. But that they turned it into a Wolverine game when the movie was being made.
I enjoyed it. Sure it wasn't deep or innovative and it was linear (for some odd reason that is a complaint yet any other linear game seems to slide) but it was fun. And alot better than the movie. I just pray I will never see another Incredible Hulk game like the last one. I don't understand why everyone is pointing fingers at IM when Hulk was just as bad. If not worse (since IM did run properly something IH can't say).

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
Hell, soon EVERYONE will be able to make good games. I'm looking forward to seeing a game called Bob: The Game.
You're a bit too late with this, remember the Bob's Game fiasco on the Nintendo DS? Google it if you don't.

Anyway, I'm extremely skeptical about this. Unless they turn like Blizzard and cancel games they're not sure are "good enough", like StarCraft Ghost, it's impossible not to release a crappy game. Heck, even major series like Zelda have had their fair share or terrible games.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
squid5580 said:
Casual Shinji said:

I enjoyed it. Sure it wasn't deep or innovative and it was linear (for some odd reason that is a complaint yet any other linear game seems to slide) but it was fun. And alot better than the movie. I just pray I will never see another Incredible Hulk game like the last one. I don't understand why everyone is pointing fingers at IM when Hulk was just as bad. If not worse (since IM did run properly something IH can't say).
I only played the demo, but that was indeed very awesome. Especially lunging yourself at enemies was killer.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Its always nice to hear a company admit to making crap. Not so nice to hear a fake promise to not make any crap. Crap games come out partly becuase they are cheap and don't require as much development time. When did any company not want to make quick easy money. L4D2 anyone?

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
khaimera said:
Its always nice to hear a company admit to making crap. Not so nice to hear a fake promise to not make any crap. Crap games come out partly becuase they are cheap and don't require as much development time. When did any company not want to make quick easy money. L4D2 anyone?
Here, here!

I agree, this is an empty promise. My guess he will be announcing the next movie-game very soon, and this was just a primer to get everyone thinking that things will change.

Uwe Boll will make a good game-movie before anyone stops making crappy movie-games. And thus, never.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
AboveUp said:
HardRockSamurai said:
You're a bit too late with this, remember the Bob's Game fiasco on the Nintendo DS? Google it if you don't.
What? Bob's taken?

Oh well, I'll just TRY to look forward to Tim then...
[small]It's the fifth game in the series, so why the hell are they calling it Tim again?[/small]

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Anyone remember the X2 game, and how it had absolutely nothing to do with the movie? The one thing that stood out about that game for me was Mark Hamill doing the voice of Wolverine. And he didn't suck at it, like Steve Blum does now.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
The day I'll believe the bullshit that comes out of an executive's mouth again is the day after the accident that leaves me mentally retarded.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
well here's hoping Marvel can pull it off, tho the downside to this is Activision is the one who makes most of their movie games. so while they might want a good game, it's whether or not Activision can make one for them

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
hrrmmm...

Thing is, as I see it..
I don't think ANY company sets OUT to make a "crappy" game... In fact, I wager that all developers start out with bright exciting ideas and the intent on bringing to life the character and providing a satisfactory experience!

Unfortunately, deadlines and costs tend to be the two consistent murderers of such lofty ideas.

Decent games can take upwards of 3 years of development to make. Movies can now take less than 18 months. Often a movie can be made much faster than a game can, and since most companies like the game to come out as soon as the movie does (so you can go see the film, get super excited and run out to get the game so YOU can be the hero!), they often have to cut corners, or worse, ship with broken gameplay and in various states of playability.

Really the only alternative they have is to do like they did with Wolverine.. shop around and cannibalize a gave already largely through development by some independent company, buy it, change the skins and adjust the levels... or start developing the game a year or two before any production for the film.. or stop making movie tie-ins altogether.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
I'm glad to hear this. Hopefully after Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, we can look forward to more good Marvel games. I hope a Nick Fury one comes out!

Merteg

May 9, 2009
We'll see.

Even if Marvel doesn't make crappy movie games, other people still will.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I think their intimidated by the new Batman game

Woo Im looking forward to the new spidey game