Marvel Announces New Secret Wars Coming 2015

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Marvel Announces New Secret Wars Coming 2015

Marvel's next big crossover event brings back one of comics' biggest battles ever

"Time Runs Out" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/marvel%20comics] storyline in the Avengers books.

The original "Secret Wars" was a 12-issue megaseries originally published from May 1984 to April 1985. The story concerned a cosmic entity called The Beyonder transporting all-star teams of superheroes and supervillains to the extraterrestrial plane of Battleworld and forcing them to fight in order to better understand the nature of good and evil. The Avengers, The Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, The X-Men, Doctor Doom, Magneto, The Hulk and others were among the combatants, with others joining (and new characters emerging) as the story went on.

Conceived initially as a vehicle to help launch and promote a new line of Marvel action figures from Mattel, it became an integral part of Marvel Universe history due its explanation of major continuity shakeups. While the series was running, many participating characters were returned "immediately" to their regular books, drastically altered in appearance, alignment, team make-up, etc., by the events on Battleworld. Spider-Man got his black symbiote suit, The Thing temporarily left The Fantastic Four (She-Hulk filled in for him on the team) and Colossus broke up with Kitty Pryde.

The cause, form and participants of the 2015 series has not been revealed, but speculation has run rampant for over a year that Marvel may be positioning its comic series for anything from a universe-wide continuity reboot to an integration of the normal and "Ultimate" universes. An Alex Ross image accompanying the reveal showed multiple versions of heroes like Captain America and Miles Morales, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-now/9552-Thor-Is-Now-A-Girl] an incarnation of Spider-Man.

Source: USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/10/09/marvel-comics-secret-wars-event-exclusive/16987121/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/comics-and-cosplay/]

Hyperstorm

Nov 27, 2013
I got excited until I realised it will crossover a million titles I can't afford or just have no interest in.

Oh well.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
Just wait a second, Marvel. You're saying that the superheroes will be fighting... villains? As in, you won't be turning superheroes against one another like every other damn event seems to be?

Sandwitches

Jun 19, 2013
So... I'm not the only one seeing MC2 Characters in that image am I? I see American Dream under caps shield. And I see Darkdevil to the right of Miles.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Sandwitches said:
So... I'm not the only one seeing MC2 Characters in that image am I? I see American Dream under caps shield. And I see Darkdevil to the right of Miles.
I spotted that as well. Guessing this crossover will tackle other alternate realities as well. Just wish I was more invested in it but that's what happens when you run and promote crossover after crossover without a single break.

EDIT UPDATE: Found a hi-res image of the Alex Ross poster.

I was right, this is a crossover from alternate realities and not just the MC2 universe. There are characters from JMS's take on Supreme Squadron fighting the real deal, the Iron Avengers from Earth X (another storyline handled by Alex Ross), the New Universe, and heroes from the 2099 universe. If I missed any, please point them out.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I love Alex Ross.

On Topic: I like how they cut the crap this time and instead of coming up with stupid reason #1131318 to have a huge crossover they are just rehashing the one that started it all. I really get the feeling that Marvel no longer has a clue what it wants to do with its characters.

Also, this PoS has no hope of living up to the original. That story made me fall in love with Dr. Doom!

Firanai

Jun 7, 2010
so....they are going to kill the ultimate line? just like they did with the supreme power one and the new universal?. Why they have to destroy everything I love, I know they had their mistakes but even then :_(.....

Apr 17, 2009
Mr. Q said:
Sandwitches said:
I spotted that as well. Guessing this crossover will tackle other alternate realities as well. Just wish I was more invested in it but that's what happens when you run and promote crossover after crossover without a single break.

I was right, this is a crossover from alternate realities and not just the MC2 universe. There are characters from JMS's take on Supreme Squadron fighting the real deal, the Iron Avengers from Earth X (another storyline handled by Alex Ross), the New Universe, and heroes from the 2099 universe. If I missed any, please point them out.
Oh hey, and underneath Darkdevil its Matthew Murdock, the devil who dares, from Marvel 1602. See this is why I love Alex Ross' stuff, you can look at it for hours and still see more each time. Its like space, you can zoom in on an area you think is black and it will be packed with detail

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"to an integration of the normal and "Ultimate" universes."
I vomitted in my mouth a little. That's like saying you're gonna mix pizza with sewer sludge! :(

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Mr. Q said:
Sandwitches said:

Oh hey, and underneath Darkdevil its Matthew Murdock, the devil who dares, from Marvel 1602. See this is why I love Alex Ross' stuff, you can look at it for hours and still see more each time. Its like space, you can zoom in on an area you think is black and it will be packed with detail
Same here. His work is so beautiful with its mix of real-life painted aspects and superhero realms. I've got the Absolute edition of Kingdom Come in my collection and I recommend it to anyone who can find it on the cheap (got mine at almost half price).

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Next panel after that painting - 5 versions of Jean Grey spontaneously combust the other combatants. So, my theory on the new Secret Wars is that Miles shunts the heroes to the Ultimate Verse when 616 goes boom with another verse. But rather than pulling every hero to his frame of reference, they all end up in the past, because reasons and the randomness of wormholes. Either that or the Beyonder sees his favorite toys are about to be smashed and steps in himself. Or maybe Franklin again! There's so many ways that this could happen and I look forward to when Marvel goes back to being Marvel again. Since everyone knows, or kinda expects that there will be a major reality shift, characters are being sacrificed left and right just because. Poor Alex "Twoface" Summers. Pretty soon, the current continuum will look like one of Marvel's What If books, ya know the one, where a single bad decision wipes out half the world's heroes. In the end it will mean nothing when a deus ex machinma restores things to pre-colliding planets. Tony really does look like he just bought out Apple doesn't he? Oh hey, it's lady Cap from the Age of Ultron What If!

Darklupus

Mar 13, 2010
I'm still waiting for a "Develop Your Own Personal Hero and Superpowers" kind of MMO from Marvel.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Mr. Q said:
Sandwitches said:

Who's the clown in the upper right corner?

I kind of like the idea. It seems to be a good type story for Hickman. I would not mind seeing Marvel finally end some of their odder growing continuities and merge the good parts into the main structure somehow, ala Crisis on Infinate Earths. Heck I think at this point Miles might be the only piece of the Ultimate stuff worth saving. But the MC2 stuff could be cool.

Ah! Who am I kidding. At the last minute they are gonna punk us and roll out a guy in a Miami Vice Suit sporting David Hasselhoff Hair to simply kill everyone, again. I speak of the horror that was Secret Wars II! Thankfully I am sure most of The Escapists readers have never heard of this tale. All records were collected, sealed in lead and carted off to use as nuclear shielding in that New Mexico Storage Facility,

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
Sandwitches said:
Not just them. Mainframe, Stinger, and Thunderstrike are in there too.