How to Gain Followers and Believers as a God in Skyforge

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
How to Gain Followers and Believers as a God in Skyforge

<youtube=KNDpSVwW-OA>​
The latest developer diary for upcoming MMORPG Skyforge shows a management system for strengthening your god and developing your adepts.

Players can become gods in Skyforge, but it doesn't happen overnight. A developer diary shows players how to reach godhood through the complex Order system.

Players' characters are immortals with special powers, tasked with protecting the world. In this video, creative director Alexander Mishulin and Obsidian Entertainment development director Eric DeMilt explain how players can go through the long process of becoming a god in Skyforge by gaining prestige, becoming stronger, and effectively using believers. Every immortal has their own order, which players manage through followers and adepts.

Adepts are followers who are willing to use their special talents in the player's name. Adept warriors can deal with invaders, and adept healers can deal with plagues. Along with followers' sermons, residents will remember the good deeds done in the player's name. With a better reputation, players will receive gifts to make adepts stronger. Once a player has reached a maximum number of adepts, these adepts can become missionaries to preach and find more followers.

Players will also become stronger as more people believe in them; followers make up one-third of an immortal's strength. The better one's reputation, the stronger the character becomes and the higher their statue is erected. Players with high prestige will see their statues made out of more valuable materials from bronze to silver to gold to stones that glitter in the rainbow.

Mishulin noted that players can manage adepts also through a portal that contains several Skyforge services. From there, players can instruct adepts to go on missions or collect offerings. This can be done even during working hours, Mishulin added with a laugh.

Skyforge is scheduled to start a closed beta in North America and Europe this year on PC.

Source: Skyforge [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNDpSVwW-OA&feature=youtu.be]

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So how is this different from Godus or From Dust? Cause I remember playing both and saying "Man, this is SO BORING! If only there were other players destroying my hours of hard work!"

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'm shocked that I'm reading a concept that could have easily been "Yet Another Base-Building MMO" mobile/Facebook game, but instead it's an honest-to-goodness MMORPG.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for this one.

-

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the general premise is strikingly similar to Desirebro's Tale [http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Desirebro%27s_Tale], a story involving a homebrew RPG about demigods trying to usurp their patron deities and become fully-fledged gods themselves.

I'm not saying one ripped off the other, but ever since I read that story I've always wanted to try something similar. Perhaps this is the thing I'm looking for.

Also if you plan on clicking that link, set aside a good slot of time. It's a long read.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
So this combines known MMORPGs with fb/browser games? Other than that the godhood (and god form) sounds kinda like an pumped up version of the grand marshall etc. titles/abilities you normally get for doing weeks and motnhs of above average performance in PvP.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
hmmmmm... It's got my interest. but then again, so have a dozen other MMOs. This could easily be bogged down by microtransactions or what have you. So, I'll keep a good 10 feet away at any given time.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It sound interesting but I can easily see this being a grindhouse to achieve godhood and how can they not have an devil/ satan path. Ok I can somewhat understand but they are missing on having another faction for the pvp part (and yes the usual moral paths aswell).

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Now, games like this make me a little sad at the state of God RPG's. Why can't I just be a God in a game, period? Why do I need to accumulate followers or gain prestige? If I am a God, then I should be a God!

I haven't found any God RPG's where I can do everything a God can do. Most of the time, it's been Manipulating Terrains or using worshipers as warriors, but that's not all a God can do. I want a God RPG where I can create entire planets, mold creatures that over time evolve, where I can then become one of those creatures and tell them what to do and where, or stay as a God and communicate with certain creatures to do my bidding. Anyone know of any game like that? Or am I out of luck?

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
I was interested until I learned that it was an MMO. meh. There goes my dream of becoming the Emperor of Man.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Guys don't get sucked in by this gimmick. The game is as generic as every other mmo coming out:

Same old combat, classes, skill tree (which they try to make a big deal out of as if a skill tree instead of levels is unique) and questing zones.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Mr.Mattress said:
Now, games like this make me a little sad at the state of God RPG's. Why can't I just be a God in a game, period? Why do I need to accumulate followers or gain prestige? If I am a God, then I should be a God!

I haven't found any God RPG's where I can do everything a God can do. Most of the time, it's been Manipulating Terrains or using worshipers as warriors, but that's not all a God can do. I want a God RPG where I can create entire planets, mold creatures that over time evolve, where I can then become one of those creatures and tell them what to do and where, or stay as a God and communicate with certain creatures to do my bidding. Anyone know of any game like that? Or am I out of luck?
Prooooobably out of luck. xD short of an indie team of extremely ambitious people pulling off a successful kickstarter for millions of dollars, that kind of game sounds just too large in terms of scope, and therefore cost to produce, compared to what would likely be a relatively small market. For one thing, with the sort of complexity you're describing, pretty sure that such a game would be about as dense and steep in terms of learning learning curve, due to the vast mechanics involved, as Dwarf Fortress. When you're a god that can literally do anything, the control scheme must be a nightmare. xP even speaking as someone who actually quite enjoyed Dwarf Fortress for the challenge, it's definitely not a game for everyone, or even the majority, meaning such a title likely wouldn't sell well.

Although you never know, there might be some older games around. The sort with randomly generated content, extremely simple visuals, so on and so forth. But for the sort of scope you're talking about, the title would have to be extraordinarily bare-bones in the visual department. Unless of course No Man's Sky ends up being a big thing, maybe someone can rejigger that engine, make it more user-friendly to allow for world creation.

On the original topic, I stopped playing World of Warcraft years ago, and I've been kind of chewing on the idea of getting back into an MMO. May keep an eye on this, I do like the concept of actually having to work towards this grand goal, Godhood. Takes me back to City of Heroes when I desperately wanted to be a Kheldian. x3

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Microtransactions of course.

Though when everyone's a god, no one is.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Nurb said:
Microtransactions of course.

Though when everyone's a god, no one is.
Yeahhhhh that's pretty much why hearing those six letters (MMORPG) in header immediately after watching the video killed my interest in this. They got some cool ideas and it could make for a fun single player game, but sorry not touching this one.