8 of the Best JRPGs Ever Released

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 of the Best JRPGs Ever Released

Today we shift our focus to an often forgotten genre, the JRPG. These games have captured the hearts, and imaginations, of millions of people. So let's look back and appreciate some of the best games to be considered a JRPG.

Read Full Article

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
No Xenoblade Chroncile? For shame!!

Yes I know not alot of people had played it but to me it's what JRPG did right when most of the others did wrong! You can saved whenever and anywhere you want, no invisible walls in the environment and etc.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
No Xenoblade Chroncile? For shame!!

Yes I know not alot of people had played it but to me it's what JRPG did right when most of the others did wrong! You can saved whenever and anywhere you want, no invisible walls in the environment and etc.
There was Xenogears, which some consider blade to be a spiritual sequel to.

Also Rainfall games brings a lot of trolls that think the movement was worse than the one revolved around ME3.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
It is nice to see some love for FF X but while I know this is a kind of FF fan blasphemy. I loved Ff IX far more than VII. Hell IX remains one of my favorite games of all time.

I would also have found room for Lost Odyssey as that game did something very special for me. It had two unbelievably annoying kids who never shut up and I STILL loved it.

A.K.B.

Feb 27, 2014
I've just recently tried The Secret Of Mana and couldn't play more than 2 or 3 hours ( which is, for an RPG, is like a sample )....
I couldn't get over how scarce and bland the exposition was, and whenever a conversation pops up, the overly simplistic dialogue just.... Ugh!
I guess this game wasn't meant to be played alone....

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I'm not really sure how FFX got onto this list. It's incredibly linear (albeit not as much so as FFXIII), the dialogue gets really awkward at times, and it can't make up its mind about who it's about (albeit not so much so as FFXII). Swap it for FFIV and you've got yourself a good list.

P.S. Thanks

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Tanis said:
FF7 but not FF6?

Son, iam disapoint.
Innit doe?
(hehe)
But seriously, 6 was a far better put together game I mean you technically fought Emperor Joker

And i'll echo "No Xenoblade?", Pah!

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Oh, snap! The FFVI fanbois are gonna be pissed FFVII and FFX made it but theirs didn't. (IMHO, they all rank about the same with FFIX being just a little bit better than them all. IX did recapture the spirit of the originals (and stay open world *cough* FFX *cough*) after VI and VII starting tipping the balance of fantasy and scifi more towards the latter.)

At least Chrono Trigger was first pick. If you like JRPGs and haven't played Trigger, the only two excuses you have are it's either the next on your list, or you hate Akira Toriyama's artwork. And those aren't really good ones. Get to it. It's probably the easiest on the list, much less the genre, to pick up.

Someone in the FB comments asked how FFX made the list. Auron. Just Auron. Maybe pretty visuals, engaging combat, and a fanservicey, snarky black mage, but mostly the character the game should have centered on.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Admittedly this was going to be a pretty hard list. I would have also wanted to see Final Fantasy Tactics as well as Final Fantasy 6. Chrono Trigger would have definitely made my list as well as FF7 of course. I would have also went with Xenogears. Valkyrie Profile and the first Parasite Eve were also really awesome.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Despite the fact that I actually like the game... Tales of Vesperia over say... Suikoden 2, Suikoden 5, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, The World Ends With You, Radiant Historia, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Super Mario RPG, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Final Fantasy: Tactics, Tactics Ogre and even the "ever popular for reasons I will never understand" Tales of Symphonia?

Also Two Final Fantasies and neither of them 6?

This "Top List" raises more questions about its legitimacy than most of Watch Mojos...

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Of all the games on the list, only played FFX. Enjoyable game, but I wouldn't include it in a top list.

But no Golden Sun? Okay...I can live with that... :(

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
While I won't call any games on this list bad (and some of them downright exceptional, deserving 'best ever released' designation) it's just so Square-heavy that it's kind of dry and hollow. There's *SO* many awesome jrpgs out there that this list flat out ignores for...FF10? I mean it isn't horrible, but...I really don't want to say things like 'feels like author is kind of sheltered' but making a list like this with almost only square RPGs and not even some Dragon Quest in there, it feels kind of empty.

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
FF7 but not FF6?

FF 10 but not FF12?
Xenogears but not Xenoblade?

It's a Takahashi game with an acceptable gameplay to cutscenes ratio! Think about it: the guy who has epitomized, incarnated even the bloat of console JRPGs since the PS2 era is given limitless resources and time and nearly absolute creative control to make his first home console game since the Xenosaga trilogy... and somehow it doesn't collapse under hours upon hours upon hours of world-building cutscenes divided by short lackluster gameplay sequences: it's the videogaming equivalent of Disney deciding to give full control of the Star Wars Franchise back to Lucas in the hope that he'll produce a masterpiece, and it-fucking-worked

It is nice to see some love for FF X but while I know this is a kind of FF fan blasphemy. I loved Ff IX far more than VII. Hell IX remains one of my favorite games of all time.

Well, both Sakaguchi and Uematsu stated that IX was their favorite opus in the series, so you're not in bad company, at least.

But seriously, 6 was a far better put together game I mean you technically fought Emperor Joker

That's God Emperor Joker.
Also, the game's protagonist had the personality of Bella Swan mixed with the powers of Doctor Manhattan, and somehow it didn't ruin the story, which has far as writing goes, is a monumental feat that does not receive enough praises.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Xenogears shouldn't be on this list. So many list it as a great game but here's the issue with that, it's not finished! It is literally an unfinished game with half the game being forced in as giant walls of text instead of gameplay on disc 2. I mean literal walls of text and not just loads of talking. A character sat in a chair telling you what's going on instead of actual gameplay in walls of text, with random bits being playable then suddenly- last boss!

That would get a game crucified today but because they kicked out an unfinished game,yet it still makes the top 10 lists?

It's nonsense. Game with high potential goes to Xenogears, top ten? No.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Aaaand no mention of Suikoden. Seriously, there is a reason Suikoden II discs go for up to $250 on eBay, folks. Really, those games are just vastly superior to the SquareSoft titles on every level.

JonnyHG

Nov 7, 2011
I found Tales of Vesperia to be particularly atrocious. If the following is all you have to say about they game, then it does NOT belong on the list. What a joke.

'The 2008 Namco game Tales of Vesperia takes you to Terca Lumireis, a strange planet that relies on an ancient technology called Blastia. This doesn't sound bad, til you find out that an important item has been stolen. So there you go, that's the plot, something's stolen and you need to go get it.'

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Veperia is an interesting choice for the the Tales series.

I'd go with Phantasia or Symphonia because they seemed more solid a game than Vesperia.
Abyss was pretty good too; gotta love the Tales games.

Anyhow some of the games I'd mention would be;
Valkyria Chronicles, Valkyrie profile, FF-12 (COME AT ME!), Guardians crusade, a tales game, breath of fire 4, Parasite eve and Alundra.

I think I may be a JRPG hipster....