More "Secret" Super Smash Bros. Characters Officially Revealed

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
More "Secret" Super Smash Bros. Characters Officially Revealed

Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Gannondorf and R.O.B have been officially revealed on Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. website.

Since Super Smash Bros. for 3DS has been out for a few weeks now, all of the game's "secret" characters have been well and truly discovered. However, that isn't stopping Nintendo from sticking to its usual M.O of slowly trickling down character reveals through its Ness, Falco and Wario [http://www.smashbros.com/us/secret/] unveiled, and now it's time for some more.

Dr. Mario, of the Mario franchise, Dark Pit, of the Kid Icarus franchise, Ganondorf, of the Zelda franchise and NES robot accessory R.O.B are the latest characters to be revealed, complete with screenshot galleries from both the 3DS and Wii U versions.

Check them out below:

[gallery=3377]

As with the last gallery, while we've all seen these characters in action on the 3DS version of the game, via fan footage or with our own eyes, this is our first time seeing how they look in the glorious HD Wii U version. It's interesting that of these four characters, three are "clones" of existing characters, something that Game Director Masahiro Sakurai talked about recently [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137951-Super-Smash-Bros-4-Director-Explains-Clone-Characters].

With this addition, only four of the 11 November 21 release date [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137378-Super-Smash-Bros-3DS-Fan-Streaming-Early-Gameplay-Character-Leaks].

Source: Nintendo [http://www.smashbros.com/us/secret/]

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
IS NOTHING SACRED?!?!?!

Spoilers, people!!! Smash is out so no one should know of these characters till Smash comes out. Also Dr. Mario and Dark Pit? Bet those are just alternate costumes...

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
RaikuFA said:
IS NOTHING SACRED?!?!?!

Spoilers, people!!! Smash is out so no one should know of these characters till Smash comes out. Also Dr. Mario and Dark Pit? Bet those are just alternate costumes...
Yep, has to be. After all, Sakurai stated that he was going to "trim the fat" [www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125115-Smash-Bros-Director-Is-Stressed-Out-Deciding-The-Roster] from the roster and cut down on clones. Surely he wouldn't let us down!

Just so we're clear, the game looks awesome and I plan on getting the Wii U version.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
RaikuFA said:
IS NOTHING SACRED?!?!?!

Yep, has to be. After all, Sakurai stated that he was going to "trim the fat" [www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125115-Smash-Bros-Director-Is-Stressed-Out-Deciding-The-Roster] from the roster and cut down on clones. Surely he wouldn't let us down!

Just so we're clear, the game looks awesome and I plan on getting the Wii U version.
He won't. I'm sure of it. Smash is out already and I can't wait for it to come out.

*goes back to playing Smash on 3ds*

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
RaikuFA said:
IS NOTHING SACRED?!?!?!

I dont get why Smash Bros is the only game where revealing unlockable characters are considered spoilers.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
"R.O.B of the stupid toys no-one cares about franchise"
That's your opinion and it's wrong. R.O.B. is the only interesting character that isn't a stupid palette-swapping clone.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
They need to drop Pikachu, since he's basically a Marth clone.

P.S. Thanks

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
josemlopes said:
RaikuFA said:
IS NOTHING SACRED?!?!?!

I dont get why Smash Bros is the only game where revealing unlockable characters are considered spoilers.
Me neither. It's a fighting game for crying out loud, you can't spoil a fighting game. And it's not like those secret characters are much of a surprise either. Boom, they're Nintendo characters or their shadow/dark/chocolate counterparts. What were people expecting, Darth Vader?

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Ugh, secret characters in fighting games. Why does any developer still do this in this day and age?

In fairness it seems like the characters are unlocked by winning (playing?) 10,20,30...120 VS matches or on-line so its not as esoteric as some, but still.

Dragonheart57

Jun 13, 2011
It took about a day for me to unlock all the characters, even without knowing how to beforehand. Not nearly as bad as the others in this series, but it is annoying when 3 of them are just clones and have no right to exist. Maybe if they were at least as different as Captain Falcon and Ganondorf, but apparently that's too much to ask.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011

How can characters be "revealed" for a game that's already out? Nintendo, you're being a big sillyhead.

LaoJim said:
Ugh, secret characters in fighting games. Why does any developer still do this in this day and age?

In fairness it seems like the characters are unlocked by winning (playing?) 10,20,30...120 VS matches or on-line so its not as esoteric as some, but still.
It's fun to unlock stuff, it gives you something to strive for in the game and a sense of accomplishment when you do unlock them, or a pleasant surprise if you didn't already know about them. Besides, it's not like these are core characters you can't live without, 3 of them are clones of other characters.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Olas said:
It's fun to unlock stuff, it gives you something to strive for in the game and a sense of accomplishment when you do unlock them, or a pleasant surprise if you didn't already know about them. Besides, it's not like these are core characters you can't live without, 3 of them are clones of other characters.
It's not so much the unlocking, though if you go round to a friends house and they haven't unlocked your favourite character that's annoying. It's more the concept of them being 'secret'; if the game says openly 'play 8 more games to unlock the next character' that's fine. It's things like:

Akuma: After unlocking all the above, choose someone you have already beaten arcade mode with and play through again. You must not use a continue before reaching Seth. You must get at least one "perfect" round in which you aren't hit by your opponent. After beating Seth, Akuma should appear. You simply have to defeat him (continues shouldn't matter anymore) to unlock him.
that are arbitrary or so obscure that you have no chance of working it out yourself and you either stumble on it by chance or look it up on the internet.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
LaoJim said:
Olas said:
It's not so much the unlocking, though if you go round to a friends house and they haven't unlocked your favourite character that's annoying. It's more the concept of them being 'secret'; if the game says openly 'play 8 more games to unlock the next character' that's fine. It's things like:

that are arbitrary or so obscure that you have no chance of working it out yourself and you either stumble on it by chance or look it up on the internet.
Okay I'll agree that is rubbish, especially at this day and age. But, to play devil's advocate for a second, think about how cool that stuff was before the internet (or at least the prevalence of wikis on this stuff), when it was something you only learned about from a friend or maybe a magazine. It was like you had uncovered the holy grail when you unlocked one of those characters. And if you never found out about it, well... you never knew you were missing out on anything.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Olas said:
But, to play devil's advocate for a second, think about how cool that stuff was before the internet (or at least the prevalence of wikis on this stuff), when it was something you only learned about from a friend or maybe a magazine. It was like you had uncovered the holy grail when you unlocked one of those characters. And if you never found out about it, well... you never knew you were missing out on anything.
I remember that time. There were some cools things about that yes, but then we also had bad instances of things getting made up like Pikabloo, Pokemon Fusions, etc.
But even in this day and age things can still go undiscovered despite what people previously thought. Like how just last year a new sidequest had been discovered in Final Fantasy IX, 13 years after the game had been released. I say keeping hidden things like that would be amazing still, and I still think Squaresoft should pat themselves on the back for making something that remained hidden for so long, even in the age of emulators and hacking to see the insides of a game.

Garlador

Mar 7, 2007
I still want there to be some sort of uber-secret set of characters. I mean, I can't even begin to tell you how much I wanted this to be true in Melee based on magazine scans...

That was such a cruel April Fool's Joke.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
josemlopes said:
It?s not a spoiler; some people will cry spoilers for stuff they didn?t know about, ignoring that it?s practically old news or public knowledge. I could probably probably get thousands of people genuinely crying spoilers a week before Star Wars episode 7 comes out by making a tweet saying ?Hey! Just saw the film before it came out; the good guys win."

DynastyStar

Feb 12, 2014
I disagree with Dr. Mario and Dark Pitt being in the game if they aren't alternate costumes, because as you said, they were gonna trim the fat.

Svarr

Nov 2, 2011
Steve Waltz said:
josemlopes said:
It?s not a spoiler; some people will cry spoilers for stuff they didn?t know about, ignoring that it?s practically old news or public knowledge. I could probably probably get thousands of people genuinely crying spoilers a week before Star Wars episode 7 comes out by making a tweet saying ?Hey! Just saw the film before it came out; the good guys win."
What, the good guys win?! D:

Damn it, now the entire movie is spoiled for me.. Thanks MAAAAN. :c !

lol.