Jade Raymond Departs Ubisoft After 10 Years

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Jade Raymond Departs Ubisoft After 10 Years

After 10 years at Ubisoft Toronto, Assassin's Creed producer Jade Raymond has left the company for new opportunities.

Yesterday Ubisoft Toronto founder Jade Raymond announced she is leaving the company.

Watch Dogs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/ubisoft]. Since founding the Ubisoft Toronto studio, she has served as its managing director since 2009.

"I've spent 10 extraordinary years at Ubisoft, and I am proud to have been part of many of the best teams in the industry making truly remarkable games," Raymond said. "This is one of the hardest decisions of my career, but the Toronto studio is strong and on a solid path. I'm confident that now is a good time for me to transition leadership of the studio to Alex and to pursue my other ambitions and new opportunities. Stay tuned for more on what's next for me, but for now, I'd like to thank Ubisoft for its partnership through the years, and I wish them the very best in all their next endeavors."

Raymond said on Twitter yesterday her decision to depart Ubisoft Toronto was a tough one. [https://twitter.com/ibjade/status/524379864649170944] "I'll miss the team, but the studio is in good hands! Great things ahead for everyone!"

Alexandre Parizeau will become the managing director on October 29. Parizeau has been at Ubisoft Toronto since its beginning. Yannis Mallat, CEO of Ubisoft Montreal and Toronto, will oversee Parizeau.

"On behalf of Ubisoft, I'd like to thank Jade for her leadership and many contributions over the years, and wish her all the best in her next adventures," Mallat said. "The Toronto studio is a key part of the Ubisoft global network, and Alex has been at the heart of the studio's growth over the years. He was the obvious choice to lead this talented group of people as they continue to develop amazing games."

Source: Ubisoft [http://toronto.ubisoft.com/en/ubisoft-our-news/ubisoft-toronto-founder-jade-raymond-departs-to-pursue-new-opportunities]

Nov 28, 2007
That is something that legitimately caught me off guard. Did not see it coming at all. It's nice to see that she's being replaced by someone who has been there since the beginning, but this is slightly concerning as well, given the accusations of sexism in the gaming industry. Jade Raymond was one of the most visible females involved in game development, and to see her step away from a company as big as Ubisoft is a bit disconcerting.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Sounds like she saw a black flag at the Ubisoft brotherhood, leading to some revelations, where she went rogue due to a lack of unity.

It'll be interesting to see where she'll end up next.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
thebobmaster said:
That is something that legitimately caught me off guard. Did not see it coming at all. It's nice to see that she's being replaced by someone who has been there since the beginning, but this is slightly concerning as well, given the accusations of sexism in the gaming industry. Jade Raymond was one of the most visible females involved in game development, and to see her step away from a company as big as Ubisoft is a bit disconcerting.
It would probably be best not to assume sexism and a hostile work environment that lead to her departure. If that is what happened, I don't see why she wouldn't just tell everyone. Sometimes people just move on from a position to try new and different things.

OT: She must have been an external producer, which how important her role is in actual game development may not mean much. I'm not trying to diminish her roll. Clearly she was good at whatever her responsibilities were. But I don't think producers such as her have any creative input on the games she oversees. She basically makes sure the project stays on goal.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
Sounds like she saw a black flag at the Ubisoft brotherhood, leading to some revelations, where she went rogue due to a lack of unity.
Heyooooooo! :)

Baresark said:
OT: She must have been an external producer, which how important her role is in actual game development may not mean much. I'm not trying to diminish her roll. Clearly she was good at whatever her responsibilities were. But I don't think producers such as her have any creative input on the games she oversees. She basically makes sure the project stays on goal.
I think you're correct. From my (limited) understanding, a game producer works as a team liaison, making sure communication is smooth between, say, the art department and the level designers, etc. She must have been good at her job, and I really don't see any sexist undertones fueling this decision. Perhaps she just wants more freedom to influence a game's development.

Nov 28, 2007
Baresark said:
thebobmaster said:
It would probably be best not to assume sexism and a hostile work environment that lead to her departure. If that is what happened, I don't see why she wouldn't just tell everyone. Sometimes people just move on from a position to try new and different things.

I didn't mean to imply that I felt that way. I do believe she moved on under her own will, and not from a hostile work environment. What I meant is that Jade Raymond was a good example of a successful female in the gaming industry. While she still is that, she won't be nearly as visible outside of a company as largely known as Ubisoft. There's a perceived lack of females in the gaming industry, so having one of the more visible women leave and go more "under the radar" hurts combating that preconception.

I don't hold any ill will towards Jade Raymond, and I don't mean to imply that she should stay with Ubisoft against her will. I'm just pointing out the impact that this could have.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
She lasted long enough with those evil bastards. I'm impressed. I'd have quit the moment people who know nothing about games started giving me orders that interfere with the creative process.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
thebobmaster said:
Baresark said:
thebobmaster said:

I didn't mean to imply that I felt that way. I do believe she moved on under her own will, and not from a hostile work environment. What I meant is that Jade Raymond was a good example of a successful female in the gaming industry. While she still is that, she won't be nearly as visible outside of a company as largely known as Ubisoft. There's a perceived lack of females in the gaming industry, so having one of the more visible women leave and go more "under the radar" hurts combating that preconception.

I don't hold any ill will towards Jade Raymond, and I don't mean to imply that she should stay with Ubisoft against her will. I'm just pointing out the impact that this could have.
I see. That makes sense. I was afraid you were trying to imply it was, there is so much of that "implied guilt" these days in gaming when it comes to things like women in the industry. Though, I have to admit, I'm not sure how visible she really was with Ubisoft. That said, with her credentials, I am sure she will land in a very favorable position soon, if she hasn't already made plans to go elsewhere.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
thebobmaster said:
I'd like to think she was offered another position elsewhere, probably with better pay/higher up the ladder. People move on over time, it's not unusual.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Ubisoft has been having a lot of high profile people leave. Then again, reading about how Ubisoft apparently has some limbo where people linger between projects because Ubisoft doesn't have a clue of how to manage themselves might be one of the key reasons.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
for some reason i sense that there is more to it than meets the eye. but well, not uncommon for people to move up to expend either their experience or just need a new environment.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
That's a shame, I liked Ass Creed 1, 2 and Watchdogs (Ass Creed: Modern).

Look forward to see what else she does.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
I can't really say I'm affected by this emotionally. Other than Assassin's Creed, I haven't been much of a fan of anything her slice of Ubisoft has thrown together. Hopefully she puts her skills to use making (or at least managing the people who will be making) something more interesting than Ubisoft Open-World Action-Adventure #5006.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Baresark said:
frizzlebyte said:
[
I think you're correct. From my (limited) understanding, a game producer works as a team liaison, making sure communication is smooth between, say, the art department and the level designers, etc. She must have been good at her job, and I really don't see any sexist undertones fueling this decision. Perhaps she just wants more freedom to influence a game's development.
she's been there for like 10 years...that doesn't scream sexism to me, just a move..as people do

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Jade Raymond is one of the handful of "name" developers that didn't go above and beyond to make a complete ass of themselves, and for that alone she has my respect. I actually look forward to see where this goes.

Maybe she'll pull a Tim Schafer and set up her own independent development studio, who knows?

My name is JACK

Aug 10, 2014
Scrythe said:
Jade Raymond is one of the handful of "name" developers that didn't go above and beyond to make a complete ass of themselves, and for that alone she has my respect. I actually look forward to see where this goes.

Maybe she'll pull a Tim Schafer and set up her own independent development studio, who knows?
That's exactly what I'm hoping she does.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Here's hoping that due to this move we see more good games from somewhere else! A decade of AAA experience can go a long way I hope. I wonder where she'll end up.