New Elder Scrolls Books Will Repackage Lore as Real-World Tomes

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
New Elder Scrolls Books Will Repackage Lore as Real-World Tomes

Bethesda and Titan Books have announced new books collecting Elder Scrolls lore into epic encyclopedias.

One of my favorite thing to do in Skyrim was collect books. Whenever I bought a house I'd immediately have to fill its shelves with all the books I could find. Luckily for me, Skyrim was nothing if not brimming with virtual books for my Nordic warrior to compulsively collect. In fact, if there's one thing Bethesda has been consistent with when it comes to its <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the%20elder%20scrolls>Elder Scrolls games, its their devotion to including copious amounts of lore to help give their games a greater sense of history and mythology. The included texts have often been so extensive that they could easily fill several real world books.

Taking that fact to heart Bethesda has announced a new partnership with Titan Books to transform the game publisher's lore into a new series of books chronicling the history and legends of the game's famous fantasy world. The books will be split into two series focusing on <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/9216-The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Review>The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/11316-The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-Review-Levels-1-20>The Elder Scrolls Online. The corresponding book series will, respectively, be dubbed The Skyrim Library and Tales of Tamriel.

Tales of Tamriel will be split into two volumes: The Land and The Lore. The two books will "chart the ongoing struggles between the Aldmeri Dominion, the Daggerfall Covenant, and the Ebonheart Pact - as well as the deadly invasion of Daedric Prince Molag Bal." Each volume of Tales of Tamriel will contain "a vast collection of in-game lore" along with nearly one hundred "never-before-seen pieces of art illustrating the lives, the land and the lore of Tamriel at war." The Skyrim Library meanwhile will be split into three separate books dubbed The Histories, Man, Mer and Beast and The Arcane. Contained within these will be a similar collection of in-game texts "illustrated with stunning art."

The books, according to Bethesda VP of Marketing and PR Pete Hines, are a logical move considering the work the company puts into creating content to flesh out the games. "One of the most important aspects of The Elder Scrolls series is the lore," he said. "To have so much of its history chronicled in this way, accompanied by art sourced from the games, is very cool. We're excited to be working with Titan on this project, and for fans to see how much detail goes into the worlds our development teams create."

Tales of Tamriel and The Skyrim Library will both hit stores next March. No pricing information has been released yet, but we've reached out to Bethesda to see what can uncover.

Source: Beth Blog

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
Wait, haven't I seen this article before...? I can't be the only one, hasn't this article been posted already? This seems VERY familiar...

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
Pirate Of PC Master race said:
Meh, already read all of them in game. I personally prefer "Axe man" and "lusty argonian maid Vol.1".
Lusty Argonian Maid is pretty funny, I have read the first two I believe, but the third (if there is one) still eludes me. Personally, The Real Barenziah is my favourite. I have read all volumes and for them to be compiled into a short novel and printed would be pretty cool.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
So, how long before someone points out a flaw in the lore when it gets published? Five minutes? Six?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Man, I hope they print the one about the sky whales that shoot hallucinogenic white powder out of their blowholes.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
That... Actually sounds pretty cool. And included art?

weirdee said:
Man, I hope they print the one about the sky whales that shoot hallucinogenic white powder out of their blowholes.
Wait, what? What book was that? XD

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
http://www.imperial-library.info/content/fight-three-snow-whale-and-dirtbird

warning: the imperial library is not safe for life

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
weirdee said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
http://www.imperial-library.info/content/fight-three-snow-whale-and-dirtbird

warning: the imperial library is not safe for life
Heh, interesting. My only complaint with that site is that it doesn't list in what games you find the books.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
So is The Lusty Argonian Maid in the Skyrim version or will that have to wait for a Morrowind version?

There's probably a mod for it but I wanted to dress Shahvee as Lifts-Her-Tail.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Been a while since I've heard anything related to the Elder Scrolls, hows the MMO doing?

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Honestly I had forgotten the MMO was even a thing. It went from upcoming to nonstarting with hardly any fanfare at all. The lore is actually the least interesting part of an elder scrolls game for me. Some of it is cool, but there is simply way too much of it that has absolutely nothing to to with anything I'm actively able to do in games like Oblivion and Skyrim that its kind of unnecessary. The Wolf Queen and Pelagius etc. do have some relevance in Skyrim as cameos but that's about it.

Its like the first 2 ages in regards to The Lord of the Rings. A lot of interesting things happened in Numenor etc. but from Frodo's perspective who gives a rat's ass? You think he cares about Ungoliant? He might be mildly interested in Shelobb's ancestor but that is doubtful.

I know the lore kind of plays a bigger role in Morrowwind, but I haven't played it nor do I have any desire to. As with the MMO.

Now the random books are cool. Like the short horror stories and such. THOSE I do like to read.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
ambitiousmould said:
Pirate Of PC Master race said:
Meh, already read all of them in game. I personally prefer "Axe man" and "lusty argonian maid Vol.1".
Lusty Argonian Maid is pretty funny, I have read the first two I believe, but the third (if there is one) still eludes me. Personally, The Real Barenziah is my favourite. I have read all volumes and for them to be compiled into a short novel and printed would be pretty cool.
There isn't a third one yet - volume 2 was added in Skyrim. Although I think there was a third one put into Online.

The Real Barenziah ones are my favourites too. I finally got the whole set in Skyrim not too long ago. Still trying to find all the copies for the year 2920 series.

I would definitely not mind getting my hands on some real-life Elder Scrolls books.

small

Aug 5, 2014
ill more than likely pick up the skyrim one but i will completely ignore and pretend the other one and its associated game doesnt exist in any form

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
StewShearer said:
Tales of Tamriel and The Skyrim Library will both hit stores next March. No pricing information has been released yet, but we've reached out to Bethesda to see what can uncover.
Will it be $60 to buy the books and $15 for every month that you own them? Oh wait...

Actually, joke at ESO aside, because I haven't played it, I haven't read the lore, so this is mildly interesting to me. Although if I actually wanted to read the lore, I'd probably boot up one of the games I actually own and read from there. Or the internet, which seems more convenient.