Upcoming Downloadable Game Features 'Kill 1,000 Children' Achievement

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Upcoming Downloadable Game Features 'Kill 1,000 Children' Achievement

Aside from its copious gore and fairytale setting, one feature of the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network platform title Fairytale Fights sticks out like a bloody thumb: The "Kill 1,000 Children" achievement.

As its name would suggest, the game rewards players with proof of the achievement after they have slaughtered, disemboweled or otherwise made extinct 1,000 of the game's youthful inhabitants.

Though the grotesque achievement seems fitting when viewed through a lens familiar with the rampant bloodshed and violence present in the fables the game uses as source material, it should prove instantly popular with anti-gaming pundits eager to fire another salvo at our pixelated pastime.

As a result, even developer PlayLogic is debating the wisdom of including the achievement in the final version of the game. A more cynical commentator could even argue that they only included the achievement in early builds to drum up the sort of controversy (read: the post you're reading at this very moment) that guarantees solid sales, if only to gamers curious to witness exactly what all the fuss was about.

Even so, if this proves to be nothing more than a clever guerrilla marketing campaign, we at least have an amusing anecdote from producer Poria Torkan who spoke to UGO [http://gamesblog.ugo.com/games/fairytale-fights-and-the-kill-1000-children-achievement] about how the notoriously stringent German ratings board reacted to the game.

We've actually shown it to the Germans in advance. They thought it was very funny.

It's like Torkan is daring you to make a horrible joke.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
*gasps*
I...I can get REWARDED for that now?
Excuse me for a moment.
*goes into corner and does a very strange little spastic dance*

Ahem.
I really hope they keep it...if I buy it (and fall into their possible publicity stunt trap, yes), and it's not in the game, then I'll be quite devastated.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
if it pisses of people, it should be be cause the game sucks, not that it endorses killing people/animals.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
This horrible joke wouldn't be something to do with germans and humour, would it?

Still, an achievement to kill 1,000 children? Is it wrong that I want to get started on this as soon as possible?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
i want to play this game... i want to play this game... i want to play this game...

Rudix

Jun 26, 2009
Nobody shed a tear for the ongoing slaughter of innocent boars in Elwynn Forest. I always found that amusing.
You might be astounded by the fact that I compare kids with boars, but come on, only difference is that kids can almost talk. However boars make up for their lack of social intelligence with awesome verbal features.

Raise a hand if you mourn the boars of Elwynn Forest.
/Raise.

BigShadey

Aug 19, 2009
I mean it only ties into the game, so why not. If you dont like the achievement/game, dont buy it.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i have never heard about this game before now and the fact that the only thing i ever heard about it is something kinda almost controversial if it happened 20 years ago doesn't really make me want to play it.

i have killed plenty of small humanoids so that they are now called children rather than hobbit, gnomes, dwarfs or whatever doesn't change the fact that its just a game.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
A kid is a human being, an adult is also a human being, we shoot adults in videogames, what's the difference? Big deal. Am I supposed to feel more compassionate if they haven't hit puberty yet?
As others have said, it's just a game.

However, I can appreciate that other people will consider it an affront to decency and, as reported, probably just use it as just another example of how "these violence simulations are making our lovely little kiddies see bad things that they definately should not see, and are a general affront to common decency, in my professional and well-informed opinion". In this respect, I can't condone a game like this.

It'll just create more problems in the long run.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Carnagath said:
If they're anything like the ones in Little Lamplight, gladly.
First thing I thought of. "Wonderful, a chance to get back at the little blighters for all their immunity-loving annoyances in Fallout."

Nothing really to be said about this. Anti-Gaming pundits will continue to 'inform' the populace that people are unable to notice the difference between reality and fiction, sane people will not care because it's a non-issue and gamers will enjoy the game if it's good and not play it if it's bad.

This'll probably get the tagline "Child mass murder simulator" on Fox News. I'm calling it now. I'll drop a tenner on it as well.

Gingerman

Aug 20, 2009
Yeah I never really seen the problem killing children in games, I wouldn't do it personally because whats the point? (unless I had to of course). I think society needs to evolve beyond the whole monkey see monkey do mentality. If I viewed someone being tortured hundreds of times in a row I would not go out and torture someone, I'd lose a lot of sleep instead.
The real problem is when children get a hold of a game like this because of parents going out and buying it not knowing the full extent of whats on the game. Hence why this kind of problem would be rather easy to solve if parents did a fairly smart thing and researched the game before they buy it (I mean seriously if my kid wanted a 18+ game and he was under 15 I would check out how violent and graphic the game is before getting it)

Thats my two cents, although I have to say that I would not support a game that kills people (never mind children) in a extreamly graphic fashion as in the player skinning them alive or something to that effect even movies dont really get away with that often.

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
HA! i already killed 1000 kids, wait....you meant in the game, Damn.......

still, i think that's an awesome achievement, hopefully it will be a violent as possible so we can hear some hilarious response's from a few politicians.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
NO. I don't want an award for being as much of a dick as possible.

As Yhatzee said, being a dick loses all entertainment value when the game actually wants you to be a dick. Or something.

If I kill children, it's on my terms, without the game patronising me about it.
Now go away, silly game, or let fallout 2 show you how it's done.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Syntax Error said:
Amnestic said:
A bet where you will surely win is a great idea indeed.
Hey, they might calling it "Baby killing simulator" instead. Or "The game that teaches your kids to murder other kids!"

I might not win it, I just went with the most likely option.

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
YES! YES! In September Europe is getting prepaid PSN cards! I could buy it!

Anyway, Overlord II made you kill baby seals and had a "kill 1000 gnomes achievement", it isn't that shocking.

After cruising the web about this game I must say it looks pretty interesting.

I do despise little children so if the upcoming reviews will say it's good, I might get it, if that achievement will also be in there I will definitely get.

wewontdie11

May 28, 2008
I like the clear distinction that is made now that it's fine to be able to slaughter hundreds and thousands of fully grown people, mothers, fathers, the elderly, even midgets or the infirm but people would take huge issue with this. Seems very odd to me.