Benedict Cumberbatch Will Be Marvel's Dr. Strange

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Benedict Cumberbatch Will Be Marvel's Dr. Strange

Reports have indicated that Benedict Cumberbatch is in final talks to star as Marvel's Sorcerer Supreme.

I hope you like your Dr. Strange with a baritone and British. If not you might be a tad less than pleased by reports that Benedict Cumberbatch is in the final stage of negotiations to play the Sorcerer Supreme in Marvel's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136892-Marvel-Doctor-Strange-Not-An-Origin-Story>2016 film based on the character.

Sources have stated that Cumberbatch was brought in for the role after talks with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137143-Joaquin-Phoenix-Rumored-to-Star-in-Doctor-Strange>actor Joaquin Phoenix, the studio's most recent favorite for the role, took a bad turn and crumbled like crumb cake. It's worth stating, of course, that Marvel has yet to confirm any of this itself. That being the case, several members of the film press have recently reported being invited to a <a href=https://twitter.com/devincf/status/526152311085617154>"secret" Marvel event taking place tomorrow, October 28th. With this news breaking the day before, it's not a huge stretch to imagine that Cumberbatch's involvement in Dr. Strange may have been the event's intended subject.

Cumberbatch, of course, is best known for his role as the titular character in BBC's popular investigative drama/loose literary adaptation Sherlock. He's additionally also done work in a number of films including Star Trek: Into Darkness and The Hobbit trilogy. Even with roles as a Trek villain and a dragon under his belt, however, time will have to tell if he's up to the task of tackling the surgeon-turned-sorcerer Dr. Strange. We're reaching out to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/marvel>Marvel for more information and will let you know when we receive any updates.

Source: Deadline

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
If I was an alarmist I would say this is the end of the MCU. Fortunately, I'm not and instead I'm just really depressed. Rather than watch the movie, I'll just read the script and imagine he was played by Pedro Pascal.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
If this happens it will be the first time in my life where I have not only predicted the right person but it will also be the person I wanted the most. I love Doctor Strange and I honestly don't think there is anyone who would do a better job.

Plus I am not someone who needs things to keep 100% to the source material so here is hoping he gets to keep the accent. They could always say that one of his parents was English and that he picked up the accent from them.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
... Breakfast Chinese-Brunch doesn't look a thing like Dr. Strange though.

Eh, he's currently "loved" by a fair chunk of the geek demographic so I guess while not an accurate character it'll at least guarantee sales.

Rakeon

Nov 7, 2009
I really, really hope this doesn't happen. Cumberbatch doesn't exactly strike me as the aging sorcerer I've always pictured Strange as, and I don't particularly like him as an actor either.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I totally want to see him and Loki meet up now, just to see who can out-class and out-charm the other.

spwatkins

Nov 11, 2009
Given the number of British actors playing Americans these days, there is nothing that says he has to have an English accent.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Eh, decent enough choice I suppose.

I will admit I don't understand the fascination with him, mind.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I think he's a bit overexposed, but I can definitely see him as Strange. Has that kinda weirdness in face, style and voice that would suit a sorcerer, and he's done fantasy roles and voice acting before so we know he's got talent. And for everyone doubting him... why? Marvel took a bunch of d-list space assholes and made them bigger than the Man of Steel, and Cumberbatch was good in Into Darkness even with a character that badly realised. I think they'll knock it out of the park.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
That doesn't seems like good casting: he is popular right now, and that sure influenced it, but he is not someone I would picture in the character role...

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Huh. At least it's not Johnny Depp. I can't say I know much about him or his work other than the internet seems to sqee whenever his name is mentioned.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
They do say that a great actor can truly become the character. Give him his chance at least, the guy certainly isn't without talent.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
I haven't read the source material, so I don't know if it's a good pick in that sense, but Cumberpatch playing a sorcerer? Yeah, I'd watch it.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh, just go with Orlando Bloom. Or Nathan Fillion! Or hell, just have a different fangirl bait actor play him in every scene. Start with shirtless Johnny Depp, then next scene is shirtless Orlando Bloon, then brown coat wearing Nathan Fillion, then just have Doctors 10 and 11 making out furiously and start listing slash fic story prompts on screen.
And then Daniel Radcliff comes in wearing his Harry Potter robes and gets into a 'depressed moody look' contest with that dude from Twilight.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
He is a good actor, so thats good. Not sure how good he will be for Strange as i dont read the comics, others would be better equipped to answer that question. Hopefully we will get a screen test of him to create buzz though we still ahve 2 years so he has that long to work on the character.