Definitely Not The X-Men: A Crash Course In Marvel's Inhumans

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Definitely Not The X-Men: A Crash Course In Marvel's Inhumans

Marvel is making an Inhumans movie and now you're wondering who the hell they are. Wonder no more: here's your crash course.

Read Full Article

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I can understand why Marvel/Disney is going with Inhumans, mostly because Fox still has a death grip on The X-Men (but I'm pretty sure Fantastic Four will slip through their fingers if their latest reboot tanks). But at least they're doing what they can with what they have at this time. Plus I am very intrigued as to how Marvel Studios will bring the realm of the Inhumans to the big screen. Also, you know people are going to fall in love with Lockjaw just as fans fell for baby dancing Groot. ^_^

In regards to your "supervised-visits" comment with Sony and the Spider-Man IP... Yeah, if this was an actual divorced couple, Marvel/Disney would be screaming for full custody of Lil' Spider-Man and having Sony sent to prison. Because what Sony has been doing with the franchise as of late is nothing short of child abuse.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Mcoffey said:
So I've been reading the new Ms. Marvel starring Khamala Khan. It's awesome, and has featured Lockjaw in the latest storyline. Lockjaw is awesome, and I need more of him in my life. Does anyone have any advice on where would be a good place to start reading the Inhumans?
Inhumanity is their latest major event, and ties in to Ms. Marvel (the thing where Kamala Khan gets her powers was actually part of Inhumanity).

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
The worse thing is that Spider-Man and the X-Men are by far my favorite Marvel properties. Their early movies and cartoons kicked ass and when I read the comics these days I'm always delighted to see Spider-man, Wolverine, or any of the X-Men.

Spider-Man should definitely become an Avenger soon. He is definitely the star in the Marvel Universe and he should be apart of the rock show that is the MCU. X-Men have a pretty large roster on their own so maybe they should start with having the old team back together first before they run into other heroes (Cyclops where are you).

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
In War of Kings Maximus was actually a good guy. Not sure what they've done with him since then. Hopefully they don't make him the central villain... we don't need another Loki in the movies >.>

Jan 12, 2012
He's a fish-man. So... about as not-super-interesting as Triton, but he at least looks kind of cool what with the scales and fins and such.
I think Bob meant to put "about as not-super-interesting as Gorgon", as he's talking about Triton.

As for who's playing Black Bolt, latest news is that Vin Diesel is confirmed for the role. Not exactly the prettyboy you were thinking of, Bob.

I'm also willing to bet good money that one of the next couple Avengers movies has to do with someone releasing Terrigen Mist into the world, revealing the cross-bred and hidden Inhumans and prompting Attilan to come forward to protect them. It'll be tricky avoiding the use of the word "Mutant", but the MCU will have genetically altered super-beings one way or another.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Thunderous Cacophony said:
He's a fish-man. So... about as not-super-interesting as Triton, but he at least looks kind of cool what with the scales and fins and such.
I think Bob meant to put "about as not-super-interesting as Gorgon", as he's talking about Triton.

As for who's playing Black Bolt, latest news is that Vin Diesel is confirmed for the role. Not exactly the prettyboy you were thinking of, Bob.
I don't think Diesel is "confirmed" as of yet but I certainly think he'd be a cool choice. I'm not a comics guy, but from Bob's description here I'd like to see Diesel pull off the silent hero.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Thanks, it's fixed!

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014

I'm also willing to bet good money that one of the next couple Avengers movies has to do with someone releasing Terrigen Mist into the world, revealing the cross-bred and hidden Inhumans and prompting Attilan to come forward to protect them. It'll be tricky avoiding the use of the word "Mutant", but the MCU will have genetically altered super-beings one way or another.
Meanwhile, that site is reporting garbage (I'm a little annoyed by how crashy that site is and how poorly sourced everything is, not dissing you in any way for sharing the link.) A couple of months back, Vin Diesel posted a cryptic message on Facebook - praising his fans for helping to make Guardians a hit and for helping him to get the role of Groot, he added "I have the feeling Marvel thinks I'm... inhuman...". That's where the speculation - and it's only speculation at this point - that Vin will be in the Inhumans comes from.

While it's certainly possible Marvel would want to double dip with an actor like they've done with Paul Bettany, it's common knowledge by now that
Vision and J.A.R.V.I.S. are the same character, Vision being just J.A.R.V.I.S. uploaded into a sythezoid body.
I suspect we won't see Vin playing both Groot and another major character who isn't Groot in the same franchise universe. The theory I like best holds that Groot will turn out to be inhuman.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Fappy said:
In War of Kings Maximus was actually a good guy. Not sure what they've done with him since then. Hopefully they don't make him the central villain... we don't need another Loki in the movies >.>
Yeah, but I'd like to see a villainous mad genius on the level of Maximus in the MCU. Whiplash/Crimson Dynamo/Mickey Rourke from Iron Man 2 simply had a group of robots. But Maximus just LOVES making weapons, he's so giddy about it. And he's certifiably crazy. The MCU needs villains such as this. It occurs to me that Joaquin Phoenix would be well cast for this role, although the similarities to his role in Gladiator (as the antagonist of Maximus) may make the casting too obvious.

I always though Karnak's power would be awesome to have. It's tied into a strategic genius that extends to much more than knocking down a brick wall with your pinkie.

Unfortunately, I've never much cared for the Inhumans as a whole. It's hard for me to see the central figures in the royal family as anything less than pompous. Maybe is I spent more time reading about the little folk, I'd be more accepting of these characters as being above other really powerful characters. Sure, Black Bolt is INCREDIBLY powerful, but Medusa or Gorgon . . . not so much. What makes them so high and mighty compared to other supposedly super-powered humanoids?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Ickabod said:
The seem to be setting up Skye as an Inhuman on AoS.
Yeah, she and her dad. Although it would explain Reina's overall behavior. Then again, in the first season, I ignored whatever mystery was surrounding Skye because I thought the bigger plot thread was how Coulson came back.

Well, know that we know the Inhumans rubbed elbows with The Fantastic Four and the Avengers, they must have done the same with the X-Men, seeing as they have a lot in common. And I mean more than just Black Bolt being a member of the Illuminati with Prof. X, then Beast.
And really, they should change that name by now, it sounds way to evil now. I keep expecting the real-life Illuminati to show up as antagonists in Assassin's Creed Unity.

vid87

May 17, 2010
It'd be especially interesting to see considering Quicksilver and Crystal have a child together.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011

I'm thinking that after Cap 3 and Civil War the existence of the Inhumans will become known somehow and the registration act will go after them in the Himalayas because of their refusal to sign up with registration or even associate with society. The movie will end with Attilan escaping to the Blue Area of the Moon.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
Mcoffey said:
So I've been reading the new Ms. Marvel starring Khamala Khan. It's awesome, and has featured Lockjaw in the latest storyline. Lockjaw is awesome, and I need more of him in my life. Does anyone have any advice on where would be a good place to start reading the Inhumans?

Also, how often do their stories require knowing what's going on in the outside Marvel world? One of the things I love about Ms. Marvel is how isolated her story is from the rest of the Marvelverse, aside from the occasional guest star. Having to read four separate series just to know what's going on in one seems very tedious to me.

As far as the MCU goes, In Marvel I Trust. Their worst movie, Incredible Hulk, is "just okay" so until they make an actually bad movie I'm going to sit back and let the good times roll.
Silent War and War of Kings/Realm of Kings for Inhumans stories.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
This is really cool. I've only just gotten into knowing about Inhumans thanks to the new comic of the same name(and the Amazing Spider-Man reboot series having the first issue of Inhuman as well), so this is pretty neat seeing some of the stuff that I'm now getting into also going to be on the big screen. Now if I could just get that Nova movie...

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I'm not going to lie, I was hoping for a full blown Big Picture on The Inhumans. But, c'est la vie. This was and entertaining read nonetheless. Thanks Bob! :)