Marvel Announces New Avengers vs. X-Men for 2015

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Marvel Announces New Avengers vs. X-Men for 2015

Only three years after the original, Marvel will be revisiting its Avengers vs. X-Men event.

October has been nothing if not a month of announcements for Marvel. For the past few weeks the comic publisher has revealed a slew of new events for 2015. Its film arm, in turn, dropped a bomb earlier this week when it unveiled the complete plans for <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138262-Marvel-Studios-Phase-3-Plans-Revealed>the third phase of its ultra popular cinematic universe. Apparently not content to end the month on that epic note however, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/marvel>Marvel has revealed yet another comic event for summer 2015. According to a recently released teaser image, it will be revisiting Avengers vs. X-Men.

Warning: Spoilers Ahead

Avengers vs. X-Men, of course, followed a clash between the two titular hero teams prompted by the return of the Pheonix Force to Earth. During the course of the storyline, Cyclops, along with four other members of the X-Men, wound up possessed by the divided Phoenix. With their abilities amplified they then set themselves to the task of solving the world's problems, at least until the Pheonix's power drove them crazy. Charles Xavier, the X-Men's famous mentor, tried to intervene and wound up dead for his trouble.

What's perhaps most interesting about this new Avengers vs. X-Men is the fact that the original isn't really all that old yet. Published during the course of 2012, it's much younger then many of the other re-visitations Marvel's announced recently. Comparatively, the other stories being rehashed (<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138100-Marvel-Announces-New-Armor-Wars-Event-for-Summer-2015>Armor Wars, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138234-Marvel-Re-Visiting-Age-of-Apocalypse-Story-for-Summer-2015>Age of Apocalypse, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138018-Marvels-Civil-War-Comic-Series-Coming-2015>Civil War) run the gamut from around ten years to several decades old. Also of potential interest are the heroes included in the teaser image. Setting aside the baby style variant art, the cover features Marvel characters including the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/12470-The-Escapist-Reviews-Marvel-Death-of-Wolverine>recently deceased Wolverine and Inhumans members Black Bolt and Medusa. Whether or not they'll actually be in the new comic and what the implications of their presence will be for the Marvel Universe overall is something we'll be interested to see.

Source: Comic Book

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
F*cking what.

Is there anything that's NOT being revisited in the next 3 years?

God and here I thought Marvel NOW might actually bring about something different. Oh well, at least Deadpool and She Hulk will probably comment on things being on rerun.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
(Head hitting a wall and face bleeding) Marvel I'm loving your film line-up but the comics...stop. Revisiting House of M I'm okay with, Civil War I'm on the fence, but the rest, come the fuck on! Did Joe Quesada come back as the lead editor or some shit? These crossover events just scream him given his crisis crossover fetish!

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
And this is a move that surprise absolutely no one. Next week we revisit Fear Itself, AXIS, Battle of the Atom, Infinity, Spider Verse, Spider Island and Schism.

Honestly this doesn't really surprise me. Also the newest event they are revisiting is Age of Ultron. Yes its a mix up between that Marvel Zombies but its still more recent than AvX.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I going to go out on a limb and say the Phoenix Force is how they revive Wolverine, because if they can't let a storyline go for a few years why do the same for a famous character for 5 minutes?

Captcha: You can do this

I DON'T WANT THEM TO!

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Wasn't AvX the last cross over that ended the previous Marvel 616 Universe before Marvel Now? Because if this is somehow their sign that they're ending Marvel Now I'm all for it!

Also when did Steve Rogers become Captain America again? (Me assuming that, that isn't some other white male or Falcon bleaching his skin.)

Also I got to love Chibi Storm's Mohawk!

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
It this all a desperate attempt by Stan Lee who, in his twilight years, tells Marvel, "The one thing that I regret is that _____________ event wasn't done better." Except he has said this 12 times now, and they said they'd take care of it 12 times but they only just realized that they need to do all of this in the next 2 years.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Redd the Sock said:
Okay Marvel, just save us time and tell us what events you won't be revisiting next year.
I don't exactly get it. Are they redrawing it and republishing them or are these some kind of weird sequels to the originals? I mean frankly none of it actually makes sense. Hell DC makes more sense then what this is. Whatever this is supposed to be.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ryukage_sama said:
It this all a desperate attempt by Stan Lee who, in his twilight years, tells Marvel, "The one thing that I regret is that _____________ event wasn't done better." Except he has said this 12 times now, and they said they'd take care of it 12 times but they only just realized that they need to do all of this in the next 2 years.
Is Lee tied to any of these?

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Marvel... I love you guys. But, seriously, what the fuck are you doing here? Why are we even revisiting stories in the first place instead of maybe just re-releasing the big events in easier to find trades that are possibly more affordable to boot? Your older events (like decades old) fine, I can sort of understand revisiting them for potential movie plots. But Avengers Vs. X-Men? Really? At least let us get past that event a bit before revisiting that shit. Why not new plots? Didn't you just reorganize your Avengers? Why do they have to endure the same bullshit the previous Avengers did? At this point, I'm just going to assume I'm trapped on a real life time loop until these revisitations, re-releases, remakes, and other crap come to an end. Makes more sense to me and is less depressing than just automatically assuming the world is creatively-dead.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'M CALLING IT NOW!

That whole 'Scarlet Witch went fucking nuts and changed everything'...
Well, it turns out to be 'just a dream' or something.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Back in the early 90's there was an Avengers plot involving Kang the Conqueror which involved some kind of 'future' "Chronological Singularity" which none of the Time travelers/masters (including, as stated, the Celestials) understood but which effected the entire future of Earth.

This was waaayyyy before the X-Calibur "Earth 616" thing came up.

One of the few things I remember about that plotline was a particular scene in one issue (the actual comics are rotting in boxes in my sister's basement) which involved a scene where countless "Chronologically possible variations" of Avengers' quinjets were racing towards the "central bubble" and the Avengers from the comics' POV all noticed:

1: She Hulk was in every one of them while all the rest of the passengers varied.

2: None of the POV Avengers saw which quinjet (and thus which Avengers including She Hulk) were the ones to pierce the "Chrono Bubble".

I don't know what Marvel is doing with its universe now, some 20 plus years later, but if Marvel's declared future cross-comic mega stories involve that particular long forgotten Avengers' plot trivia---I FUCKING CALLED IT!!! ^_^

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
If I had to guess they are probably going to be tying this into a universe reboot, and part of re-doing a lot of this stuff is going to be so versions of the most popular events can exist within the new continuity as opposed to being entirely lost with the old.

Of the storylines there, I think most of them worked best as one time things. It's sort of like how if they decided to re-do "X-men: Inferno". It was a great, convoluted, concept that served to pit the X-men against a city being overrun by demons, science fiction against magic, while tying up a lot of ongoing plotlines from magical crossovers involving Magik (at least for a while). It's not something I think can be recaptured and done justice.

The only one that I'm sort of glad they are re-doing is Civil War, after a long lead up towards making both sides legitimate and the entire thing unusually nasty because of that, liberal whining about Bush-era politics took over and derailed everything so we had analogies to real world issues, as opposed to dealing with the issues as they actually existed in Marvel. I think it really showed it was going to go wrong when they decided to have Luke Cage start ranting about equating the registration act to slavery when Iron Man tried to recruit him, pretty much around the same time when one of Black Panther's guys gave Falcon a Wakandan designed battle suit (and acted pretty racist while he was doing it). They pretty much turned it from a battle between two legitimate sides with no clear right answer, to a very clear cut "Iron Man is wrong" thing which didn't quite mesh with earlier events and the realities of the world. As originally defined, I was actually taking the whole "I'm With Iron Man" side because at the end of the day I didn't think the idea of heroes being known was a bad thing in context of the world setting, especially with so many heroes operating publically to begin with. I actually found it odd to see Captain America whose identity is an open secret, basically condoning unaccountable vigilantism and being the guy argueing against responsibility. But then again I feel a lot of characters during that whole thing acted massively out of character, and then they pulled the whole "who was really a Skrull" thing.... I'd like to see a proper, marvel-centric re-do with people acting more in character. Personally I'd probably think Iron Man and Cap would be on the same side for registration, and properly speaking the guys against registration would be people like Moon Knight and other dark/anti- hero types, or those who for whatever reason could not function properly as a hero or would be in unreasonable amounts of danger all the time without the refuge of a secret identity. Not to mention of course the whole issue of accountability being a double edged sword, sometimes you need to trash part of a city to save the people living in it, and people being who they are tend to be petty in the long run, and face it, like in "The Incredibles" registered heroes become a financial liability. Sure you might have saved 10 people, but that doesn't mean the guy whose car you used to shield them isn't going to sue you for trashing it. That's a twisted, but valid, point some characters might actually bring up. Sometimes heroes need to protect society from outside of society. Having a hero say let a villain mass murder a bunch of people because he'll face jail time after a huge lawsuit if he stops them due to the widespread property destruction it will cause... and really, imagine the bill Bruce Banner would get if he was publically known just for his fights when he's a controlled hulk (how many people get thrown through walls and buildings in a fight between The Hulk and another super-brick?). That's my thoughts overall, I felt kind of cheated with Civil War and actually felt the guys who wound up derailing the project to turn it into a platform for analogy rants should have been fired. Sure Marvel has addressed social issues in the past in lots of comics, but that whole thing should have stayed in universe, and focused on the conditions of that universe entirely.... and really some of it was really painful, because honestly I can't understand the warped logic that leads to "heroes need to be responsible and accountable for their actions" being equated to slavery, except for the fact that some writer really wanted to throw that out there to set a tone for who was going to be the bad guy... while to me making Luke Cage seem out of character and a bit insane. Iron Man's reaction was probably pretty accurate in terms of a WTF, but honestly I think he probably should have called for a shrink, or started looking for dimensional duplicates or something because it seemed like him an Luke were suddenly having conversations about entirely different worlds and issues.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
I don't know what Marvel is planning with all this, but I do know that AvX was terribly written. Every single character took a full bottle of stupid pills in order to check mark the plot advancement boxes.

Worse than Civil War for out of character behavior to me.

So whatever else they are doing, I hope they clean up the story if they are going to bother re-releasing it.

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
Okay so now we're getting the following:
House of M
Civil War
Secret Wars
Armor Wars
Age of Apocalypse
A vs. X
And that's not even all of it.
All of that starting "summer 2015".... I'm pretty interested for some of these as to what the hell they're going to do exactly and what the big plan is.
But if this isn't all connected for some big mega event and these are all going to start at the same time, it's just going to be chaos and the number of characters are going to be spread really thin over this many events all at once... even for the number of characters Marvel has.