Iranian Devs Seek Western Support at Gamescom

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Iranian Devs Seek Western Support at Gamescom

Representatives of Iran's National Foundation of Computer Games attending this year's Gamescom [http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/] in Cologne, Germany, say they need more investors to develop their industry but that U.S. sanctions are making matters difficult.

The group hosted a booth at the show to promote the Iranian videogame industry and attempt to convince Western retailers to stock their products. Amir Tarbyatjoui of Parsan Business Development Solutions said Iran was becoming a leader in the Middle East videogame industry but added that the current political situation made it difficult to find broader support. "We need more investors," he said. "The [US] sanctions do affect our industry, but they cannot stop it."

Games at the Iranian booth include a "tank shooter" based on the war between Iran and Iraq, a Persian platform adventure (no, not that one [http://www.princeofpersiagame.com/]), an adventure game about a girl named Sara and an RPG based on Iranian mythology called Age of Pahlevans. Bahram Borgheai, head of Age of Pahlevans developer Ras Games, said that most Western studios focus on Greek, Norse or Roman mythology for their games but pointed out that Iran has a "rich history" that's ideal for game settings.

"Persia has been around for a very long time," he said. "What we have is something quite unique and we are using the event in Cologne to show that to the world."

The Iranian game industry gets very little attention outside the country's borders and when it does, it's usually for something like Special Operation 85: Hostage Rescue (which I'm guessing is the same game that was reported in 2007 as Rescue the Nuke Scientist [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/74899-Hardline-Iranian-Group-Releases-New-Videogame]), released by a hardline Islamic association as a "defense against the enemy's cultural onslaught." Interestingly, however, Borgheai said the game never made it to Iranian audiences.

"We never heard about it in Iran. It certainly wasn't released there and the first I heard about it was through the international media," he said. "If it was made then I would guess they just took an existing game and stuck a few textures and the like onto it; it certainly wasn't a new game."

Gamescom isn't the only show the group will be attending; Tarbyatjoui said all the attendees would also make the journey to E3 [http://www.e3expo.com/], although they won't be able to mount an exhibit there. "It is difficult given the relations between Iran and the USA," he said. "Certainly all of us here today will be at E3 next year, but there will not be a dedicated Iran stand such as you see in Cologne today."

Source: BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8213272.stm]

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Malygris said:
Gamescom isn't the only show the group with be attending;
Shouldn't it be will?

OT: I would really like to see some middle-eastern games. See what they can conjure for us. Who knows, maybe something revolutionary might happen, for better or for worse. Asian-based games certainly made a huge fucking difference.

Anyways, I couldn't find anything on "Age of Pahlevans", only one clip which appeared to be a small bit of the cinematic trailer.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
I cant decide if this is a bad idea because all I can see is people complaining about "offensive depictions of Iranian history", or a perfect idea to counter that kind of situation.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
Nincompoop said:
Anyways, I couldn't find anything on "Age of Pahlevans", only one clip which appeared to be a small bit of the cinematic trailer.
i was interested in it to but i can only find deviantart images :/

i hope these guys do well, they may have a different way of looking at games than we do now, like the japanese...some good must come of them doing well

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
Gaming, like music, transcends all borders.

I'd like to see some games from the Middle East and I certainly hope they are successful in their attempts to show what they can do. When I was in the Navy and our sub went to the Persian gulf, I picked up a game developed by a UAE (United Arab Emirates (sp))company specifically to broaden my horizons. It was a Persian style RPG that I unfortunately never could get to run right on my laptop, so as long as Age of Pahlevans can run on American machines I'd be willing to try it out. Their box art definitely looks beautiful.

To be honest, I don't understand the reasoning behind these sanctions and embargos we place on countries like Cuba and Iran. We say we want peace, understanding and open communication, but putting up walls (real or invisible)and forcing a distance to be maintained only leads to resentment and mistrust, no? We placed sanctions on Japan before WW2, and it lead to Pearl Harbor. The Berlin Wall helped keep the Cold War going for a long time. We put up embargos on Cuba, and decades later we're still virtual enemies we're not allowed to trade with (though somehow the military is allowed to be "buddies with the enemy" and have a military base/prison there? I just don't get it.)

On the other hand, look at all the countries that we used to be hostile/suspicious with, but allowed open trade and communication, and now we have great relations with...Germany, Japan, China, South Korea (we weren't enemies with them, but we were worried they'd be taken over by communism).

Anyway, I do wish these guys well and hope it works out for them, cause any new infusion of gaming blood into the market can only be a good thing (especially if it entails some Pixelated Persian female curves).

Pigletdude

Sep 13, 2008
Apart from being biased, considering I am half Iranian, I love Persian history as it is very unique to the traditional middle easterns countries.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
With a name like "National Foundation of Computer Games" it sounds like a government mouthpiece. What do you think the reaction would be if the US Army started soliciting foreign investors for its official game?

ww2jacob

Mar 21, 2008
Kuala BangoDango said:
Gaming, like music, transcends all borders.

I'd like to see some games from the Middle East and I certainly hope they are successful in their attempts to show what they can do. When I was in the Navy and our sub went to the Persian gulf, I picked up a game developed by a UAE (United Arab Emirates (sp))company specifically to broaden my horizons. It was a Persian style RPG that I unfortunately never could get to run right on my laptop, so as long as Age of Pahlevans can run on American machines I'd be willing to try it out. Their box art definitely looks beautiful.

To be honest, I don't understand the reasoning behind these sanctions and embargos we place on countries like Cuba and Iran. We say we want peace, understanding and open communication, but putting up walls (real or invisible)and forcing a distance to be maintained only leads to resentment and mistrust, no? We placed sanctions on Japan before WW2, and it lead to Pearl Harbor. The Berlin Wall helped keep the Cold War going for a long time. We put up embargos on Cuba, and decades later we're still virtual enemies we're not allowed to trade with (though somehow the military is allowed to be "buddies with the enemy" and have a military base/prison there? I just don't get it.)

On the other hand, look at all the countries that we used to be hostile/suspicious with, but allowed open trade and communication, and now we have great relations with...Germany, Japan, China, South Korea (we weren't enemies with them, but we were worried they'd be taken over by communism).

Anyway, I do wish these guys well and hope it works out for them, cause any new infusion of gaming blood into the market can only be a good thing (especially if it entails some Pixelated Persian female curves).
Certainly agree with you on most everything. I wish these guys luck in joining their gaming industry with the rest of the world's.

One clarification. The US Military base on Cuba (Gitmo) has been there since the end of the Spanish-American War, and was a stipulation of the treaties following the end of the war. The base has actually been there since 1898, although was not really brought into the spotlight until the detention camp was started after 9/11. The detention camp is separate from the naval base, and the Cubans certainly aren't fans of either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guant%C3%A1namo_Bay

Scypemonk

Proud TBB Warrior
Sep 26, 2007
not a zaar said:
With a name like "National Foundation of Computer Games" it sounds like a government mouthpiece. What do you think the reaction would be if the US Army started soliciting foreign investors for its official game?
Not that i am an expert in Iranian politics, but i found this while searching on the subject:
http://www.iranculture.org/en/provs/view.php?id=108

Apperently they do undergo some degree of censorship from the Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Kuala BangoDango said:
...Anyway, I do wish these guys well and hope it works out for them, cause any new infusion of gaming blood into the market can only be a good thing (especially if it entails some Pixelated Persian female curves).
Why don't they just move out of Iran? People in other occupations have done the same when the going was tough. My family did quite a bit until my dad finally found a job that payed well in his field.

Given the state of the economy, I'm sure there are plenty of people in the video game industry moving around already...

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
It sounds interesting. I'd like to play.

Turns out that even in the middle east they shoot Iraqis in videogames...

[blockquote]Games at the Iranian booth include a "tank shooter" based on the war between Iran and Iraq[/blockquote]

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I'm particularly interested in the game about mythology. Prince of Persia opened my eyes to Persian mythology (the legend of Rustam is action packed and pretty goddamned, as it involves Rustam serving and rescuing a rather incompitant and cowardly king). I would love to see a Zelda style game done in a Persian setting. I think following the release of Assasins Creed people are more open then ever to this sort of thing, it's time for games to stop flirting with the Middle East and to ask it out for coffee.

Chapperoned of course.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I do see there problem, but I also see why Western game developers don't make many games based in the middle east (unless its Americans shooting at it... *cough*Modern Warfare!*cough*).

Thing is, the Middle East does have a fascinating culture and history to it, and I think it could make for some fantastic settings in games. Infact, it has, in games like Assassins Creed and Prince of Persia. Problem is though, is that games based in the Middle East kiiinda wouldn't sell in the West, since a lot of people think of the place these days as "terrorist land", which is a big shame.

With games made in the Middle East its an even bigger problem, since people may automatically presume its some sort of Taliban propaganda or something ridiculous like that.

Still, the very best of luck to them - they may be struggling to climb a steep cultural divide, but if they make good games, then I might be a customer for them.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
tendo82 said:
An RPG based on Iranian mythology? All about it.
Couldn't agree more. I'm a bit tired of all the Greek Mythology, it'd be nice to reach out to some of the places which don't frequent our consoles so often.

a "tank shooter" based on the war between Iran and Iraq
Could be interesting. Might be opening myself up to a massive number of lists here, but how many tank shooters do you find these days?

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I'm not a big fan of tank shooters, but I'd certainly take a good look at the platformer or the adventure game. Does anyone know if the RPG is supposed to be a MMO?

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
I would like to play some of those games, they sound interesting.
I actually felt ignorant when I read the headline, I thought to myself, "Iran makes games?"
Ignorant me.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
Andronicus said:
I'm not a big fan of tank shooters, but I'd certainly take a good look at the platformer or the adventure game. Does anyone know if the RPG is supposed to be a MMO?
Aren't RPGs usually dialog heavy? I would start learning Farsi if I were you.