Nintendo is Planning Card-Based Amiibos, Smaller, Cheaper Figures

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo is Planning Card-Based Amiibos, Smaller, Cheaper Figures

The Game Boy Advance's e-Reader was brought up when discussing card-based amiibos.

Right now, Nintendo's line of Amiibo NFC figures will set you back earnings call [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137145-Nintendo-Amiibos-up-for-pre-order-for-12-99] that it was working on card-based Amiibos, as well as smaller, cheaper figures.

While speaking about this, the old Game Boy Advance e-Reader cards were brought up. Nintendo lead developer Shigeru Miyamoto additionally discussed a card game in which you can play simply by swiping cards and then using them to record your play history - in a way similar to how many Japanese arcade games work these days. Miyamoto teased, "But I can't talk about that specifically yet, however card games possess the potential to have a new structure with Amiibo."

Miyamoto also talked about the possibility of smaller, cheaper figures than the Smash figurines, and how they could be used in games like Animal Crossing. Miyamoto is apparently pushing teams to come up with non-standard uses of the NFC reader in the Wii U, the results of which they hope to be able to show off next year.

While the Amiibo figures certainly looked great when they were first revealed, the production models [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138226-Nintendo-Amiibo-Figures-Production-Models-Are-Less-Detailed] were a little less detailed than we thought. I can't imagine smaller and cheaper figures would look very good comparatively, but I can see how they would work in titles such as Pokemon, or, as Miyamoto mentioned, Animal Crossing, which have a lot of collectible content.

As for card-based Amiibos... Pokemon TCG interaction with the Pokemon video games, anyone?

Source: Nintendo Everything [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136982641&postcount=102]

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Guh, I have trouble seperating amiibo from smash bros. Moving on...

I think they did something similar to the pokemon rumble figurines already. Though I heard that game wasn't all that great.

So, there are going to be cards that also use NFC? Neat. Sounds a bit too hands off for me though.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
Good that they're really working to come up with ways to use that NFC tech they built in to the WiiU and New 3DS. Depending on what utility they have, I think I'm probably more likely to by a cheap NFC card than a $12 NFC figurine, even if those figures are pretty nice.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Well, it's good that they are making cheaper figures that young kids can afford to collect. They should have gone the cheap route first, but I guess they wanted to psych up the collectors, too. The cards are giving me e-reader memories, but maybe they'll release $5 bootster paks or include them with some games, amiibos, etc.

Though, in the last thread, did many of us not say we'd like some amiibos with detail meeting or exceeding the protoypes' levels and were willing to pay between 20 and 30 USD each? Could you do a limited run of premium figures please, Nintendo?

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
If I ever figure out what Smash Bros. character I like best (that I'm actually good with), I'll probably pick one of these up. To be honest, I'm still not seeing the huge drop in quality that's being mentioned.

Good that Nintendo is coming up with cheaper alternatives though.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Make them fully poseable action figures with radio chips instead of statue bases.Then there might be a chance in hell I'd buy one....

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
bleh, we don't really need e-readers for card games, just use QR codes because everything nintendo makes has cameras now for some reason

dunno what they're gonna stuff the chips in for cheaper amiibo, though