Hardcore Trailer Brings FPS Action to The Movies

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Hardcore Trailer Brings FPS Action to The Movies

Crowdfunded action movie aims to bring first-person shooters to the big screen

Musician/filmmaker Ilya Naishuller scored a viral hit with the music video for his band Biting Elbows' Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, [http://vimeo.com/62092214] who proposed that Naishuller create a feature film using the same technique.

The resulting film, Hardcore, now has an extended trailer as part of an Call of Duty [https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hardcore-the-first-ever-action-pov-feature-film] tutorial, features actor Sharlto Copley walking the audience-POV hero through the basics of taking down an entire platoon of heavily-armed henchmen in an abandoned building.

Described as a "modern action sci-fi story" taking place over the course of a single day, the film's plot follows a man recently-resurrected as a cyborg who must rescue his wife/creator from a telekinetic supervillain and his minions. The majority of the project was filmed in Russia using a custom face-mounted camera rig. No release date or distributor has yet been established.

Source: Biting Elbows [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMnURHXFhuE]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Like the Bad ************, it looks good but two things:
1) In the big screen I can see a lot of people emptying their bowels while watching this.
2) It really needs more then "Your usual FPS game narrative for the sake of killings badies", it needs something new to justify the use of that point of view for an entire film, in a short its fine but 90m need a bigger justification then "We thought it could be cool"

Also, Hotel Inferno did it first, so it isnt like their justification was to be the first trying.

Edit: also the effects look generally good with the exception of some muzzle flashes and some dust and debris, and that stuff is usually so overdone in indie stuff that it looks really fake.

trippingpossum

Aug 30, 2011
Personally, I don't know that I could watch a whole movie of that. I found the whipsaw camera movements nauseating before this clip was done. Though the wilhelm scream on the body-pop-up was kinda funny in a dark way.

I'd want to see where this goes as a project, but I doubt I'd be able to watch the final cut

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
trippingpossum said:
Personally, I don't know that I could watch a whole movie of that. I found the whipsaw camera movements nauseating before this clip was done. Though the wilhelm scream on the body-pop-up was kinda funny in a dark way.

I'd want to see where this goes as a project, but I doubt I'd be able to watch the final cut
Hey it could be worse.
The POV could have been some 360 No Scoping 12 year old.
If they did that I'd would walk out before I would have to be carried out.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Sharlto (Fucking) Copley though, I'm more than happy for a full-length movie involving watching a British Commando version of him gun down Russians(?) pipping wise cracks and his general insane violent joviality.

The FoV needs a lot of work, however. It will quickly make folks dizzy. I can handle such things as I'm used to it with FPS gaming on the PC but those not... I can't see it being a very fun experience, especially in 3D.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I uh... what?

Why is Sharlto Copley dressed like a soldier from WW2, but everything else is modern?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I honestly got my fill in those 3 minutes, it is a novelty that quickly runs dry for me.
And while I play UT on 150% speed regularly seeing even a far far slower version when I'm not controlling it feels very annoying, it's like some 5 year old got a hold of your screen and went mental with it... not an experience I would pay money for.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
Heh, it was like a big budget YouTube video. The difference is that YouTube videos of this type last as long as this did, it'd be interesting to see what they do for full feature length.

Since it seems to be playing off the cliches of FPS games (plot that's little more than "shoot the obvious baddies", mid-mission tutorial segments) then I expect it'll mostly be action, possibly switching between stealth moments and actions moments.

ryan_cs

Aug 13, 2013
Honestly I'm surprised that no one made a whole movie in first person before, and so now we've full circle, movies attempting to look like games attempting to look "cinematic". Here's hoping it's doesn't suck.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I'd watch it as long as Sharlto Copley was in it most of the time. The polite British officer character he was playing reminded me of Strangelove's Colonel Mandrake way too much for this to not happen. (In fact, why not just make a game with him following you around quoting quips?)

The POV, though, is too much for more than a couple minutes. Hopefully, they are smart enough to just make it a short, no matter how much money the receive, instead of a full length film. The "one man army" also looks even more ridiculous in first person live action, but then again, tradition movies stretch your suspension of disbelief when the hero can dodge bullets and walk in an open area under fire without getting hit. I'd like to have at least one realistic scene with proper fire team tactics in the finished piece.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Didn't Doom do that already? Oh... you mean "bringing Spunkgargleweewees to The Movies"

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
That PPSh is a little more effective against modern body armor than one would realistically expect... but I think "realistically" isn't a word that popped up much during the planning stages.

That being said... even I would get sick of ninety minutes of this. And I LOVE stuff like this.

Genocidicles said:
I uh... what?

Why is Sharlto Copley dressed like a soldier from WW2, but everything else is modern?
Because the Internet has gained sentience and willed itself a live-action version of Captain Price. And really, who else would you have play the part?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
The POV could have been some 360 No Scoping 12 year old.
and encounters a new problem, conventional filming would use cut aways and shaky cam to hide the time it takes for certain actions to flow from one move to another at 1:50 seconds when he jumps down on the three guys, he lands on the first guy, takes out the guy to his left and then turns to find the guy on the right just looking down, the guy on the right had a good 5 seconds to turn and work out what was going on and shoot him, easily enough time to not end up looking confused and stupid which was the only way that filming this way could cover the fact that the 'hero' of this piece should've had his ass blown away in that move.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
If only the Fisheye effect hadn't been in full force... The human eye doesn't distort the sides of our field of view, so I could never entirely suspend my disbelief.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It'll suck. Mostly because it's a gimmick like all those movies from the 50's and 60's that used stuff in the theaters such as actors in costume showing up in the isles, shaking seats, sprinklers, smell-o-vision, etc.

Besides, there's already been attempts at FMV games in the past as well.

ryan_cs said:
Honestly I'm surprised that no one made a whole movie in first person before, and so now we've full circle, movies attempting to look like games attempting to look "cinematic". Here's hoping it's doesn't suck.
There was a first person noir movie made in 1947 called "Lady In The Lake", the whole movie was filmed in the perspective of the detective.