Fan Recovering From Brain Surgery Given Unique Exotic By Destiny Developer

Brittany Vincent

Pfhor the win!
Oct 1, 2014
Fan Recovering From Brain Surgery Given Unique Exotic By Destiny Developer

Bungie does the good guy thing by treating a Destiny player recovering from recent surgery a unique Exotic.

On a recent Reddit post [http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2lbtb2/a_doctors_recommendation_for_destiny_and_its/], a user told the story of her husband's struggles with several brain surgeries over the last year and the complications that come with invasive surgery. The Reddit Destiny community responded with support and enthusiasm, including Bungie, who is known to have a presence on the Destiny subreddit.

Destiny community manager David "Deej" Dague contacted the user and let her know that the Destiny team would love to send an assortment of goodies through the mail, but that they had already sent quite a present through in-game mail. Upon logging into his account, her husband was greeted with the Exotic solar scout rifle "Fate of All Fools," making him the first, and right now only player with that particular item in the world.

While the rifle will probably enter the game in number with the release of a future DLC, Bungie's kind gesture to an injured gamer will leave an impression that will last a lifetime.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2014/11/07/destiny-developer-gifts-unique-exotic-to-recovering-player/]

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
so the only way to get really good stuff in Destiny is to either farm for days, and hope the Gods of random are on your side, or option 2 is have multiple drain surgeries in a year, and face all of the complications that come with "invasive brain surgery"

technically I think that option 2 is less frustrating then Destiny's loot system

NiPah

May 8, 2009
I was following this story on the Destiny Reddit as it happened, I don't know what I loved more the outpouring of support from the community or Bungie with the awesomely kind gesture.

Even with it's faults Destiny has one of the best communities of online games I've played, well since Starcraft on the PC.

Now let's see how the Escapist community is with the following comments below :).

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
How long until people start the "brain surgery OP" meme?

That's always cool when the gaming community does something nice like this...wish more of these stories would make mainstream news rather than all that gamergate BS.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
NiPah said:
Even with it's faults Destiny has one of the best communities of online games I've played, well since Starcraft on the PC.

Now let's see how the Escapist community is with the following comments below :).
You've got to be kidding me... did you ever read anything on the Bungie Destiny board? It is a cesspool.
But I suppose it looks alright? since no 1 can properly communicate with each other unless you are on the friends list already.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
The destiny app comments are full of bile, entitlement and butt hurt so its nice to hear the community has a nice side drown out by the raging teenager.

This story gave me the warm fuzzies.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Ishigami said:
NiPah said:

You've got to be kidding me... did you ever read anything on the Bungie Destiny board? It is a cesspool.
But I suppose it looks alright? since no 1 can properly communicate with each other unless you are on the friends list already.
Ah I'm a reddit newbie so I just stay on the front page, so my view might be a bit biased.
Then again they say ignorance is bliss.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Ishigami said:
NiPah said:

Yeah, I'm gonna second this.
I went on there once during the beta to raise some concerns, and was quickly blasted by the cult of Bungie for not kissing their God's ass twenty times a day.

Anyways...

OT: This is pretty cool of them. Still think the game is mediocre, but they were able to brighten this person's day a little bit.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Bungie's always gone out of their way to be kind to their fans. When I was a very active member of the Halo community, we would always celebrate Brian Morden. A young man who had a very persistent type of cancer (Ewing's Carcinoma I believe, but I may have gotten that wrong).

Being a long time fan of Bungie through Marathon and before, the guys let him actually come in and record a line for the first Halo game. After the first level (Pillar of Autumn), when Chief escapes in one of the pods, one of the marines dialog is Brian.

I don't know if they still do it, but there used to be lots of community involvement too. I've donated some artwork to be auctioned off in the past, proceeds of which when to research of the disease that took him.

Anyway, the point is, Bungie are pretty good folks. I didn't really care much for Destiny, but this is still a great story to hear. It's nice to know that even though so many people have left the company since the days when they were a small Chicago based team of 10 or 20 guys in a run down building in the scummiest part of town, that they still know that their fans are the most important part of their business. It's heartwarming to say the least.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
So even if Bungie has stopped caring about putting their heart into their games, they still care about their fans. Good for 'em, glad to see that.