BlizzCon '09: New Diablo III Class: The Monk

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
BlizzCon '09: New Diablo III Class: The Monk

Blizzard has taken the wraps off the newest Diablo III class, and it's one that should please fans of the martial arts: the fast-fisted, staff-swinging Monk.

Blizzard revealed the newest playable class for Diablo III during the opening ceremony of BlizzCon '09, and he's a real fistful. The Monk is a martial artist in the vein of the classic kung fu fighter. Dressed in Shaolin robes with a big-time beard and looking like a character straight out of Dynasty Warriors, The Monk uses serious close quarters combat to take down its foes.

The class made its debut in a trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFGXKV_45HQ] that found The Monk being led into a trap - a town full of some undead baddies which it promptly defeated using some crazy fast strikes, staff swings and some energy blasts. Making his way out of the town, The Monk encountered the mysterious figure who led him into the trap. Obviously the guy was up to no good. Obviously he was a demon who can shoot fireballs. A DragonBall Z esque fight followed, with all sorts of airborne chopsocky and over-the-top action.

Next Blizzard rolled a gameplay trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_IIe4Wufyw] showing some of the Monk's skills: a teleportation move (the "Seven-Sided Strike") where the Monk moves between enemies so quick he only leaves shilouettes behind him, all sorts of chi energy (I'm guessing) moves where he can create explosions that take out tons of enemies with area of effect damage. There's tons of blood, there's classic martial arts style combat. If you haven't figured it out by now, this is probably the class Assassin players from Diablo II will want to use.

The Monk's playable on the show floor, and though Funk and I have already gotten some playtime in sans The Monk, you can bet we'll be heading back for some more action.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Woo!
I loved the Monk in D1: Hellfire.
And it looks like they've made him even more fun! Sign me up!

AlphaOmega

Oct 10, 2008
I beat the news o/

Anyway, I though we would get a zealot (Monk but sword/shield based) but monk is also awesome.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
Playbahnosh said:
Okay, thats all good, but where is the Druid?? Grrrr....
They have a few more slots for classes...
But I want a different(better) Druid that doesn't make me spam Dire Wolf and Werewolf over and over in game breaking glory.
But I actually want Necromancer more.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Wow..that trailer was really cheesy. Couldn't they make an awesome CGI(or whatever) trailer so it looked really cool? Their game engine isn't that cool to make those fights look epic and awesome.

Also shouldn't this be in the news section?

LostNumber

Jul 17, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Wow..that trailer was really cheesy. Couldn't they make an awesome CGI(or whatever) trailer so it looked really cool? Their game engine isn't that cool to make those fights look epic and awesome.

I'm thinking the video was rushed in order to get it ready in time for Blizzcon.

Still, I think I know now which class i'll be at launch.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I...I just got an nerd-erection.

And it's not going away.

"If condition persists for more then 5 hours..."

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
oliveira8 said:

I think it looks a lot better than the WoW trailers which do the same thing, at least.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I'm more interested in the gameplay footage. You've got a trailer link, is the gameplay movie anywhere?

I thought the trailer was pretty well done considering it was in engine and not a Blur CGI movie. Nice to see Monks getting portrayed as the demon-exercising badasses they are.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Keane Ng said:
oliveira8 said:

I think it looks a lot better than the WoW trailers which do the same thing, at least.
Those WoW trailers(The ones made in game) aren't that good, but they put more work into them than this one, the WoW ones look much more polished.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
I'm more interested in the gameplay footage. You've got a trailer link, is the gameplay movie anywhere?

I thought the trailer was pretty well done considering it was in engine and not a Blur CGI movie. Nice to see Monks getting portrayed as the demon-exercising badasses they are.
It's in the post now. I'll have a post up later with hands-on impressions too.

Dragonblade146

Dec 6, 2008
oliveira8 said:

Diablo was built on cheesy CGI!!!
You can't change that lol.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Gerazzi said:
Playbahnosh said:
Okay, thats all good, but where is the Druid?? Grrrr....
They have a few more slots for classes...
But I want a different(better) Druid that doesn't make me spam Dire Wolf and Werewolf over and over in game breaking glory.
But I actually want Necromancer more.
They already revealed four classes, just how many there are anyway? We have two close-combat, a mage and a summoner. The game still needs a ranger and a support class at least. Now that's already six, so the bets are off. What will be the other summoner class, if any? I want a Druid.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
All the Monk stuff is on Blizzard website now too

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/characters/monk.xml

I do reckon we need a ranged non-magic class still. Barbarian is definatly the tank/AoE fighter, Monk is the Melee DPS, Witch Doctor is the Debuff/Summoner, Wizard is the ...Wizard?

Given that their theme so far seems to be "TO THE EXTREME!*smashes bottle on crotch*" I can only wonder what the final class will be, if there IS another class. I mean, we've seen amazons and rogues already, whats left?

Maybe someone with guns?