Report: Margot Robbie is Harley Quinn

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Report: Margot Robbie is Harley Quinn

The Wolf of Wall Street stunner reportedly cast as The DC Universe's Clown Princess of Crime

Hot on the heels of rumors that Jared Leto is The Wolf of Wall Street, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138486-Rumor-Is-Jared-Leto-The-Joker-in-Suicide-Squad-Movie] has been cast as Harley Quinn.

If true, it would make Robbie the first person officially confirmed for the project outside of Fury [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9811-Fury-Tank-You-Very-Much] director David Ayer, though Will Smith (who appears with Robbie in the upcoming Focus,) Tom Hardy and Jesse Eisenberg (as Lex Luthor) have all been reported to be circling the film; which is based on a DC comic-book about a shady government program that commutes the prison-sentences of supervillains in exchange for them undertaking dangerous black-ops assignments.

Originally from Australia, Robbie was previously best known for the TV series Neighbours and Pan Am. The character of Harley Quinn [http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Harleen_Quinzel_(New_Earth)] was a creation of Batman: The Animated Series as a love-interest for The Joker (she was originally an Arkham psychiatrist named Harleen Quinzel), but became so popular that she became a fixture of the mainstream DC Universe almost immediately. The role was previously brought to live-action once before (though in a version that had abandonned her costume and nickname) by Mia Sara in the short-lived Birds of Prey TV series.

Suicide Squad, which Ayer has described as "The Dirty Dozen with supervillains," is due in 2016 following the release of Justice League

Source: Collider [http://collider.com/harley-quinn-suicide-squad-movie-margot-robbie/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
It's not the look, but how they do crazy that matters with Harley Quinn. If Margot Robbie can do Harley's own special brand of insane she'll work just fine.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Here's a bucket of icewater for ya, Bob.

OT: She's a stunner all right. Can't believe that she joined Neighbours after I stopped watching (former guilty pleasure). Harley Quinn has become a tired character for me though, in much the same way that Deadpool has.

Ark of the Covetor

Jul 10, 2014
"Stunner", "bombshell"; ffs, have I accidentally found myself reading the Daily Mail's online celebrity-stalking section or the Sun's page 3?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Hmmm. Is it bad that I almost look forward to a DC villain team up movie more than Batman Versus Superman? At least having tons of characters would be the point of it. And Joker and Harley Quinn could actually be somewhat fun in a dark way. Whereas I fully expect Batman versus Superman to be pure dark and no fun.

Anyway, as others have said, it's more about getting the character right than the looks in this case. She looks like she could be Harley, but can she get Harley's own unique brand of crazy? Can she do like Heath Ledger and Mark Ruffalo and completely make the role her own regardless of previous work? We'll see.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Only issue with this movie is how are they going to set up each character being a villain? Are they going to have a line up scene listing their crimes like in Guardians of the Galaxy? Harley is new to the movie world and would have liked to see her get corrupted due to Joker in a movie. As for Joker, he is meant to be in this and he is a new movie Joker, not Ledgers Joker.

I really hope they can pull this movie off and with great actors, directors and script - it could be awesome. Prefer this to Justice League. SS has a chance to have lots of great character moments and really, Joker is not going to behave is he? JL seems to be more uptight and serious, cant imagine any of that team laughing and joking - but that just seems t be the direction they are going in since Man of Steel was a gloomy sod.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Ark of the Covetor said:
"Stunner", "bombshell"; ffs, have I accidentally found myself reading the Daily Mail's online celebrity-stalking section or the Sun's page 3?
I was thinking the same thing.

OT: I've never heard of her, so I can't really make a comment on whether she'll be good for the role or not.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
immortalfrieza said:
It's not the look, but how they do crazy that matters with Harley Quinn. If Margot Robbie can do Harley's own special brand of insane she'll work just fine.
If her role in TWoWS was any indication; yes, yes I definitely think she can. She was stellar in that role and already showed a tinge of crazy/anger that would befit Harley. And she can do that New Jersey-ish (or something) accent that Harley has, so she has the voice too.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Saltyk said:
Hmmm. Is it bad that I almost look forward to a DC villain team up movie more than Batman Versus Superman?
Not at all, you have far more scope with villains to do batshit crazy things, plus a good villain face off actually has some teeth unlike when heros square up, because there you know that no one is going to get their ass kicked too badly.

OT: This is some interesting casting. She has the right look but I haven't seen enough of her work to make a call as to whether she has the range to pull this off.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Ark of the Covetor said:
Phwoar! Norks! Naomi condemns the violence in the Middle East when she's not busy being a quantum physicist (brains are sexy, lads!) or getting her jugs out for the lads! Baps!

On-topic: I didn't know they were making this film, but... wasn't there a talking shark in the comic?

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
Well, good for the Actress I guess.
I am still waiting for Harley in Gotham.
Seeing her get corrupted, maybe discovering the seed of insanity
would be way more entertaining.
Though I wonder what a DarkKnight Style Harley Quinn would have looked like together with Heath Ledger...

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
As long as she's her trademark lovably annoying bad-joke making batman-mocking usual self I'm happy about this.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
Let's pander to the fans more. Because THAT'S sure to be the only way we'll make any sort of return on this venture. I can't find any interest in these movies right now. Hype does nothing for me... was going to say 'Unless it's Marvel hype', but even that was a lie. The Doctor Strange hype going around the other week didn't even grab my attention.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
Well...I believe this will likely be the first DC movie I will actually go see in theaters since....Batman Begins. Been a long time.

Though I suppose I might end up going to see WW if that comes out first.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Loop Stricken said:
Ark of the Covetor said:
Phwoar! Norks! Naomi condemns the violence in the Middle East when she's not busy being a quantum physicist (brains are sexy, lads!) or getting her jugs out for the lads! Baps!
*Spits drink* GARGGH, STAPH IT!

OT: No jokes but Harley Quinns in... seems legit.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
But her voice is so very annoying. I wouldnt imagine they would change that for the fans. Also...birds of prey? Whaaat? I got that confused with birds of a feather for a bit. Never seen the former. Though if any character appears in all but name and costume, how in blazes are they that character, outside of any projected delusion?

Ark of the Covetor

Jul 10, 2014
Loop Stricken said:
Ark of the Covetor said:

On-topic: I didn't know they were making this film, but... wasn't there a talking shark in the comic?
I just literally gave myself a nosebleed I snorted so hard at that, kudos :p

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I think what the fans really want for that character is the personality. If she can pull it off, then it will be great. As for looks, pretty much any pretty girl would work, Harley Quinn is constantly changing her look in the comics.