WoW: Cataclysm Part 1: Old Villains, New Races

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
WoW: Cataclysm Part 1: Old Villains, New Races

With Cataclysm, the world of Warcraft has been forever changed. The third expansion will feature two new races joining the fight, and an old villain reshaping the face of Azeroth itself.

Four of the biggest minds behind World of Warcraft - loremaster Chris Metzen, lead designer Tom Chilton, and world designers Alex Afrasiabi and Cory Stockton - took the stage at Blizzcon 2009 to give a deeper look at WoW: Cataclysm, the recently-unveiled third expansion pack for the world's biggest MMORPG.

Now It's Personal: With Wrath of the Lich King, said Metzen, the team learned that it was important to focus on a primary villain. Burning Crusade's Illidan was a "kickass badguy," but he wasn't in your path and came out of nowhere for his Black Temple. In contrast, the Lich King was omnipresent, and in characters' faces since Level 70. They wanted to give players a personal reason to kick his ass, and they're carrying that philosophy into Cataclysm - with classic Warcraft nemesis Deathwing [http://www.wowwiki.com/Deathwing].

Deathwing, who debuted in Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal, was an ancient dragon and guardian of the Earth, who was driven mad by the whispers of the Old God chained beneath Azeroth. His power began to rip him apart, with his blood running with lava, and his agents were forced to brand iron plates onto his hide to hold him together. Though Deathwing was sleeping beneath the earth in Deepholm, the elemental plane of earth, he awakens - and his explosive eruption back onto the plane of Azeroth is the Cataclysm. With tsunamis, storms, and volcanoes, no part of Azeroth is left untouched - "Well, maybe Westfall," joked Metzen. Deathwing is, in fact, the Worldbreaker.

New Alliance Race - Worgen: The people of Gilneas barred themselves up beyond the Greymane Wall to protect themselves from the Scourge and the plague in Warcraft III. However, Archmage Arugal (known to players from Shadowfang Keep) brought the curse of the Worgen to the land, and it made its way past the wall. In the early Worgen levels, it will be "back in time" to the era of WC3, seeing how the curse affected their society - and then it will jump to the present day, with a fully-transformed nation of Gilneas. Metzen posed the question: "Are the Worgen from somewhere else, or they from somewhen else?"

These are Victorian-era werewolves, "the 'Wolverine' of the Alliance."

New Horde Race - Goblins: The Goblins have been part of the Horde since WC2. They hail from the Isle of Kazan, and are split up into factions and "cartels," like other races have tribes or clans. The Goblins that join the Horde are not the neutral Steamwheedle Cartel (of Booty Bay and Gadgetzan), but rather the Bilgewater Cartel. They are shipwrecked on the Lost Isles near Durotar and Azshara, and do not start as a Horde race - they're forced into it.

As opposed to the "Wolverine" Worgen, the Goblins serve somewhat as the "comic relief" for the Horde. Metzen cautioned everyone that they would need it - because there were "some dark days ahead." We got a look at the Goblin mount, which looks like a little go-kart, complete with rockets.

Dark Days Ahead: Both the Worgen and Goblin starting zones will take advantage of the cinematics like those that were used in the Wrathgate event in Wrath of the Lich King - and the aim is for these starting zones to "top the Death Knight starting area by a mile." Quite the feat, given how well-recieved the Death Knight starting storyline was.

The Worgen and the Goblins have their own racials - Worgen will get something like a sprint, (Chilton dryly remarked that he predicted "World of Worgencraft" complaints) while Goblins wear rocket belts that will let them make short jumps to the side. Worgen will be able to be all classes in the game except for Paladins and Shamans, while the Goblins are prevented from being Paladins or Druids.

Metzen repeated his warning - that there were dark days ahead, and in those dark days, the call for heroes was the most desperate. The campaign against the Lich King has been taxing, and though "The Lich King will get what's coming to him... we've left part of ourselves up in the snow - it's not coming home again." For the soldiers of the Horde and the Alliance, the world is not what it was, and new stresses between the Alliance and Horde move the world closer to open war.

The war is returning to Warcraft, and we saw a screenshot of the front of the Horde capital of Orgrimmar clad in heavy iron - a fortress built for war. It isn't just the classes and races that were changing, but the entire world. Stick around for the Cataclysm Preview, Part II, as we take a look at the new zones to come, and how the existing world will be reshaped.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I wonder if I should stop my gnome priest temptations from tingling and starting a worgen/goblin.

Nunka

Oct 10, 2007
Oh man. This is gonna be tough. Do I let my love for Deathwing pull me back to that infernal, time-eating MMO, or will the stupidity of actually making goblins a playable race keep me away? Sigh...

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
Deathwing the World Breaker?

What does big sis have to say about this?

I must admit, listening in on WCRadio has softened me up a bit about this expansion (You guys got mention too, gimme a shout out Funk. Or don't, y'know)

Things don't look too bad honestly, I'm reserving the character name Holycow right now.

(The name failed and I ended with Moolight..:()

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
The websites up also, TAUREN PALADINS!
But yea redoing the game is epic. wont be about grinding, the story parts will be all the way through

Goblins classes cant be Druids or Palas

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm/

GO BLIZZ!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
stormcaller said:

I must admit, listening in on WCRadio has softened me up a bit about this expansion (You guys got mention too, gimme a shout out Funk. Or don't, y'know)

Things don't look too bad honestly, I'm reserving the character name Holycow right now.

Wait, we got a shoutout? haha

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Worgens are getting a sprint?...Is that a little over powered?

Depends how slow it is and how long the recharge is I suppose, but being faster than everyone else from could give this race a HUGE advantage until level 40.

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
stormcaller said:

Wait, we got a shoutout? haha
A lobby party as I understood.

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
Gah, I Really need to start WOW up again my lvl 65 Dwarf Warrior has been chilling in IF for the past year

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
Cap said:
awesome, more furries. just what the world needs; especially the world of warcraft.
As a horde player, it pleases me to know that the alliance will take most of the furries off our hands. Goldshire's gonna be a blast on RP servers LMAO!

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
Since February i've been fighting the urge to re-activate my warcraft account and finish off my lvl 56 human pally and my lvl 30 human mage. I've never even bought the burning crusade but this changes everything. I'm going on holiday on tuesday but as soon as i get back am re-activating WoW.

VargRaev

May 13, 2009
Biek said:
Cap said:
awesome, more furries. just what the world needs; especially the world of warcraft.
As a horde player, it pleases me to know that the alliance will take most of the furries off our hands. Goldshire's gonna be a blast on RP servers LMAO!
But i like furries...

BunJ

Jul 26, 2009
Biek said:
Cap said:
Another good reason for me not to play RP...

That sprint really does seem like it's gonna be a game breaker and I really don't see the usefulness in adding new race/class combos....

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
Wait, so the Dragon was driven mad by the chained dark god and Broke the World?

Why hello there Lews Therin.

Quel0

Sep 12, 2008
I've already quit after they killed my proly build... i'm so tired of them recycling past encounters instead of making new places. I've been waiting on the emerald dream forever =(