BioWare Creates Custom Mass Effect Level For Fan's Marriage Proposal

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
BioWare Creates Custom Mass Effect Level For Fan's Marriage Proposal

Volunteers from BioWare Montreal recently helped a Mass Effect fan propose to her partner by creating a custom level based on their relationship.

While the cliché of the lonely gamer living in their parent's basement still looms large in the minds of some, recent history has proven nothing if not the ability of video game fans do it with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94444-The-Fallout-3-Marriage-Proposal-Mod>style. There's no lack for examples of gamers using their hobby as a launching board for clever proposals that tug equally at the heart and nerd strings. That being the case, one proposal may have finally taken the marriage cake, and it did with the help of BioWare.

The proposal in question began to take shape after Marie-Renee Brisebois, studio manager for BioWare Montreal, was contacted by a woman named Jackie looking for a special way to pop the question to her partner and fellow Mass Effect fan, Amy. After sending out a message to her fellow staffers to see if anyone might be interested in assisting her, Brisebois was able to assemble a team of volunteers who agreed to work for free on a special Mass Effect project aiming at giving Jackie a helping hand. According to lead level designer Colin Campbell, his desire to help stemmed from the personal joy he's drawn from his own married life.

"I love being married," said Campbell. "It's my favorite thing about my life, and it's a huge amount of what I enjoy about living, but being a videogame designer doesn't often give me the opportunity to help someone else have a marriage. This is rare and something that's almost never going to happen to anyone in the industry, so as soon as I saw the opportunity, I jumped right on it."

Campbell, working with writer Ann Lemay and QA analyst Barrett Rodych, used the Frostbite 3 engine to craft a special level laced with subtle references to Jackie and Amy's relationship. After some extensive testing they then lured the couple to their Montreal studio with a letter claiming they'd won a nonexistent "Day With Our Devs" contest awarding them with a tour of the studio. While visiting the developer's offices Amy was invited to play what was described as "the next Mass Effect game." At the end of the stage created by the volunteers, she was led into a room with a console at its center and their names spray-painted as graffiti on the wall behind it. Clicking on the console Amy was met with a message telling her that "Jackie would like to ask you something." It was at that point that Jackie proposed. Amy (happily) said yes.

Judging by the enthusiasm of the volunteers behind the Amy and Jackie's proposal level, this wasn't a project that overly burdened the people involved. That being the case, it's nonetheless nice to see a developer as large as BioWare doing something like this to help out a pair of its fans. This is especially true when you consider that Campbell and company were already busy with Dragon Age: Inquisition. Put shortly, bravo BioWare.

Source: BioWare

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I love reading things like this.

Gives me the warm and fuzzies.

Also, kudos to Bioware for finding the time to do a solid like that since I can't imagine they have much free time to do anything else.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
The real reason behind PS4 copies of Dragon Age: Inquisition crashing. Just kidding congrats to them now how do you follow that with the actual marriage ceremony

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Spygon said:
The real reason behind PS4 copies of Dragon Age: Inquisition crashing. Just kidding congrats to them now how do you follow that with the actual marriage ceremony
A Mass Effect-themed costumed wedding, obviously.

Reading things like this is always nice. It's awesome to see devs being able to take a little bit of time to make their fans' lives better.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
If I were getting proposed to this way, the only thing I'd want Bioware to make me would be a real damn ending. But good on them for doing such a cool thing. #RetakeMassEffect. Long live Marauder Shields!

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Also, kudos to Bioware for finding the time to do a solid like that since I can't imagine they have much free time to do anything else.
Well, we know BioWare is working on a new Mass Effect game and that it uses the Frostbite 3 engine. They may be making test levels using placeholder assets from older games all the time.

No reason they couldn't use one to make a couple very happy, make some progress on the game and get some good publicity out of it too. Three birds in one stone.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
This is great in so many ways! I am jealous in even more ways. It is this sort of behaviour that renews my faith in people and even makes me rethink my disbelief in marriage. Actually feel a little emotional now. Best luck to them both!

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Aw, that's cute. I suppose it shows that Bioware still does care about its fans, despite what DAII... implied.

I hope they have a nice life together.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009

Great to read about such stories where devs volunteer their time to help a fan, Valve did a similar thing as well and it's great to see another major dev team pull this off.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
4 posts. It took 4 posts for someone to start bitching about the ending. Even with a story like this.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
That's very cool of them. It does bring to mind a parallel question, though, one that perhaps someone could answer: has any Bioware game actually allowed the main character to marry? I'm not aware of such a game.

Il_Exile_lI

Jun 23, 2010
Callate said:
That's very cool of them. It does bring to mind a parallel question, though, one that perhaps someone could answer: has any Bioware game actually allowed the main character to marry? I'm not aware of such a game.
I know in Baulder's Gate that with some of the romances, if pursued successfully, the epilogue mentions you marrying them. Thats all that I can think of, though.[/quote]

I do believe there was a very specific set of circumstances you could follow in Dragon Age Origins (if you were a human female noble) that would result in your character marrying Alistair and becoming Queen of Ferelden by his side.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
008Zulu said:
So; Blue for Yes, Red for No and Green for I'll think about it?

OT; I wonder why Bioware chose to help them.
I'm sure this story breaking exactly one week before Inquisition comes out is pure coincidence.

I mean, maybe they did actually do it out of the goodness of their hearts (although I would guess they receive more requests like that - then it's interesting what made them choose this one over others), but the timing of the press release makes me think they carefully chose when to actually speak out about it.

But then I'm jaded like that.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Il_Exile_lI said:
Callate said:
I know in Baulder's Gate that with some of the romances, if pursued successfully, the epilogue mentions you marrying them. Thats all that I can think of, though.
I do believe there was a very specific set of circumstances you could follow in Dragon Age Origins (if you were a human female noble) that would result in your character marrying Alistair and becoming Queen of Ferelden by his side.[/quote]

Correct, and if you were a male noble you could also come to an arrangement with Anora whereby you would marry and your character would become Prince-Consort.

OT: This has to be one of the most adorable things I have ever heard, very happy for the pair of them.