Far Cry 4's Alternate Ending Can be Reached in Just 30 Minutes

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Far Cry 4's Alternate Ending Can be Reached in Just 30 Minutes

Be warned that this post contains heavy spoilers for Far Cry 4.

Far Cry (and its spin-off, Crysis) has always been a series with choices. It's your choice how to approach combat, how to progress the story, and even what ending you end up with. Now that people are getting their hands on the game, they are discovering that Ubisoft have added a rather significant choice very early on in the game, which allows players to skip straight to a very clever alternate ending within 30 minutes of play time. That's about as vague as I can get without spoiling anything, so if you're cool with being spoiled, please read on.

Essentially, at the very start of the game, Far Cry 4's main antagonist Pagan Min invites the player to eat a meal with him. At one point, he gets up and leaves, and tells the player to sit and enjoy his meal for a few minutes. This is where most players will get up, leave the room, and go on to start the regular Far Cry 4 campaign. But, for the patient, obedient types, if you sit at the table for a full 15 minutes, Min will return, and the alternate ending will begin.

The video above shows the ending in full, but the TL;DR version is that Min allows the player to place his mother's ashes in their final resting place - next to her daughter, who we also discover is Min's daughter (making Min a sort of step-father to the player). You then get back into the helicopter with Min and the credits roll.

It's certainly a very creative and interesting Easter egg. I wish more games did stuff like this.

Source: Reddit [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnCed-hb53E]

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
Far Cry (and it's spin-off, Crytek)
Wow, Far Cry spun off its own development team? I'm sure there's a few big publishers that would love that kind of ability with popular games they want to milk every cent out of...

Anyways, sounds like a nice touch; this is the sort of hidden decision-making and emergent gameplay people want but I have a feeling Ubisoft (or any big-budget publisher) won't pick up on that.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Micah Weil said:
I must say, I am thoroughly impressed. That's an Easter Egg.
I would gladly pay for DLC where the campaign is an off-shoot of this easter egg!

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
Josh123914 said:
Micah Weil said:
I would gladly pay for DLC where the campaign is an off-shoot of this easter egg!
What team up with step daddy to hunt down those golden assholes before they can really screw over this nation? Hell yes then you just swap out the outposts for terrorist basecamps and your set

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
I can see people complaining about the game being only a half hour because of this, but I think this is hilarious and awesome. Maybe there's an achievement that will be made for it

Ralphfromdk

Mar 26, 2009
Ocelano said:
Josh123914 said:
Micah Weil said:
What team up with step daddy to hunt down those golden assholes before they can really screw over this nation? Hell yes then you just swap out the outposts for terrorist basecamps and your set
I'm with you there. After seeing that alternate ending, I almost don't want to play the main story now.
He's actually a really nice guy when people don't try to kill him or his friends. Or blow up his country.
You as the player are ment to join some freaking terrorists, burn down half the god damn country to fight a guy who had no ill will towards you. And the you will probably end up killing him, all because you misunderstoood his good intensions.

For once I'm all up for a big expensive dlc if it gives us an alternate story that continues after the ashes part.
Go shoot some guns, maybe hunt some wildlife, terrorists attack you, now you go fight them.

Sep 9, 2007
Josh123914 said:
Micah Weil said:
You and me both. I'm not really sold on Far Cry 4, but if that was an option? I'd be willing to give it a go.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
Damn, what a rip off. It's not even a walking simulator! It's a f'ing sitting simulator!
It's avant garde, you philistine! It's the experience, not the gameplay!

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
This is good, right? If only games like Dragon Age 2 had the decency to do the same thing I might have finished that game instead of giving up after realising I had to sit through all the shitty side quests to make my character decent enough to get through the main quest.

Aerotrain

Sep 7, 2014
Bloody brilliant subversion of expectations. Honestly, staying put is what I'd personally do in that situation (not in game) due to being entirely too afraid to run away from the heavily guarded palace of a lunatic dictator all on my lonesome and without any weapons and I'm glad they took the trouble of getting that option on there. Would've gotten a big laugh out of me if right when you're entering the chopper at the end you'd hear your character thinking "Well... everything went better than expected".

Shame about them going with a "silent protagonist" though, it can work on some games but here it didn't help me "be more immersed" (as they said) in those cutscenes at all, it just felt really awkward whenever my character was spoken to.

That said, throw some dialogue choices and branching paths into this alternative story and expand it and you'd get a game about surviving a close relationship with a very charismatic but vicious dictator that fancies himself a father figure of sorts to your character and that you suspect would simply kill you if you attempted to escape. Could even have you dealing with palace intrigue that springs up as factions inside the elite distrust you and/or are worried about how your existence throws into disarray the line of succession, their influence over the ruler or simply petty vengeance. Would you be able to kill or torture "terrorists" fighting for democracy in order to appease and gain the trust of a madman? What about completely innocent citizens? In the end, would you fully give in to the charisma of Pagan Min and carry on his legacy? Would you use the freedom bought by earning his trust to escape? Would you use his trust in you to make him vulnerable and kill him? Would you then deliver the country to the rebels, grab the power for yourself to rule with an iron fist or enact change within the system? How would the country change depending on your actions? Do you even care?

Oh wow, I got a little carried away there but I'd certainly want to play that game.

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
Aerotrain said:
Shame about them going with a "silent protagonist" though, it can work on some games but here it didn't help me "be more immersed" (as they said) in those cutscenes at all, it just felt really awkward whenever my character was spoken to.
Ajay isn't a silent protagonist, he's just quiet and withdrawn, at least in the beginning. All the early game footage I've seen he more whimpers than talks. Given his situation, I'm not surprised.

Aerotrain

Sep 7, 2014
antigodoflife said:
Aerotrain said:
Ajay isn't a silent protagonist, he's just quiet and withdrawn, at least in the beginning. All the early game footage I've seen he more whimpers than talks. Given his situation, I'm not surprised.
I took the care of putting it in quotes because I know he's not completely silent but as the game's creative director Alex Hutchinson said "he's more of a silent protagonist than a talking head". The rationale was that it would give the players "as much freedom as possible" and help immersion. From what I've seen so far it doesn't work for me specifically whenever he's asked a direct question like he did in this cutscene. Feels awkward.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This was really clever. I enjoyed that. I don't feel it spoiled anything as we got to see that our villain is actually a pretty likable guy for a complete sociopath.

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
Aerotrain said:
antigodoflife said:
Aerotrain said:
I took the care of putting it in quotes because I know he's not completely silent but as the game's creative director Alex Hutchinson said "he's more of a silent protagonist than a talking head". The rationale was that it would give the players "as much freedom as possible" and help immersion. From what I've seen so far it doesn't work for me specifically whenever he's asked a direct question like he did in this cutscene. Feels awkward.
Oh right. Yeah... I usually agree with Hutchinson with a lot of things but this is not one of them.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
If only there was at least a slice of a campaign behind this... well, this ending is still a good thing. It just doesn't have the guaranteed "shooting guns" nor a view of Kyrat after Pagan really takes over.
Aerotrain said:
Bloody brilliant subversion of expectations. Honestly, staying put is what I'd personally do in that situation
I would stay not out of fear, but out of respect. Vaas killed every person who went against him. Pagan teaches them harsh lessons, while respecting their right to life.