275: Confessions of a GameStop Employee - Part Three

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
Retails sucks. (Fuel station attendant). End of story. It's made me far more confident and increased my conversational ability but man it sucks. I can't understand the viewpoint of customers like this, I just could not be like or act like this.

Some of the stories I could tell, jeez. A few basic rules I've found out from being a Fuel Station Attendant.

Fuel Prices go up, you are the bad guy, your fuel station is the bad guy. (The standard margin for a fuel station over here is four cents in the Liter, everything else is what we are charged when it is put in the tank. Which means everytime it goes up for the remaining fuel we make a little profit(normally 10-20,000L in the tank), and everytime it goes down we run at a loss).

No matter what, it is your fault. The customer put Diesel in his petrol or Petrol in his Diesel, it's your fault for not having big enough signs or warnings. [Even though Diesel has a protector that you have to release before picking it up].

Denying a kid access to R18 stuff because the parent is lazy means you are going to have to cope with about 5 minutes of being lectured at.

No matter how many warnings you give, or how many times you verify that this is what they want, if it goes wrong it's your fault. [My petrol station still has Forecourt attendants that will help, we have to double check the amount and the fuel type. It's still our fault, and we didn't hear properly if there is a mistake made of course].

No matter how busy you are with other things that are potentially dangerous if left unsupervised or for one reason or another can't be left, you MUST drop everything right away to server a customer who is either inept with the fuel pump and can't use or understand it, or too lazy to get out of their car.

When you attempt to get someone's attention while they are in the middle of a conversation or on the cell phone you are instantly the bad guy and will get a 5 minute lecture about being rude, no matter if they are holding up ten ton of people, doing something dangerous/potentially lethal, or illegal.

No matter how many signs you post saying something is out of order, or can't be used, someone will ALWAYS attempt to use it and then proceed to complain that it they can't.

If you are running around doing work, but stop and bend over backwards to allow someone access to the toliets even though they shouldn't have access for one reason or another, they will always complain about the slightest bit of filth even though you have already told them it will be dirty because today has been overtly busy and thus nobody has had time to clean it.

It doesn't matter if they have to walk 5 cm or 500 metres, stuff will never ever go back in the place it was picked up from. Drinks have are an even more special case in that it doesn't matter if they have to walk back to the fridge to pick another drink up/change their current one/put it back, it will normally go one or two spots awry of where it should be. Sometimes it can be 5 or 6 spots.

If the customer leaves a fuel cap off, it is your fault.

If the customer should have an accident and drive into a fuel bowser or other item, then it is the design of the Fuel Station at fault as it was obviously not wide enough, or the length of the hoses should be longer. (Each bay is at least 1 and a half car lengths wide, with most being 2 and a half [the one's on the outside are 1 and a half], the length of the hose is enough to reach the otherside of a car that has parked as far away as possible).

Customers are incapable of reading signs no matter how big or flashy. This is your fault.

---

Actually, I lied. One story simply because it is so fresh in my mind.
Backstory:
My particular brand of Fuel Stations over here do not get to pick when they are filled up, it is determined by the "Brand" who use our Tank Readings to estimate when we should be filled up. A few days ago, there was a GST changeover, which meant the "Brand" would not fill us up that night as we are privately owned, simply using the Branding and complying to the regulations of the "Brand", thus it would cost them and it would be too complex. This coupled with the fact that since the GST rise was coming we had an extra busy day, meant the next day we ran out of 91, 95 and came to within 200L of running out of Diesel.
Story:
This charming customer popped in with his Jeep Wrangler, and entered $65 of 95 on the machine and proceeded to attempt to fill this into his car. The Bowser stopped at $53.28 and would not fill any more. He got my attention and explained to me that his car was next to empty and should take another $50 of fuel at least before ending. I told him that we had been running low on 95 and why, and told him if he would like I could check the dips to see if we had indeed run out. He asked me too, and so I did. We had about 1000L left, which is empty. (As the Bowser's can not draw from the tank if it drops below a certain amount). I explained to him that his car indeed was not full but we were now out of 95 along with 91 and that what he had received was the last of the 95. I told him that if he really wanted to put $65 into his car that there was another (different branded) fuel station about 900M up the road. He then started complaining about how this is not good enough, blaming me and the service station for running out of fuel. I explained to him again that it was not our fault, it was an almost entirely automated service done by the "Brand". He continued to complain blaming me, and said he would not pay for the $53.28 because it was not what he wanted. He asked for $65 and that since he didn't get it, he would not pay. My Manager was currently 200K's away and unreachable so I was left on my own to deal with it. 15 minutes of arguing later, he finally agreed to pay it. I was then left with another 10 minutes of him lecturing at me how it was not good enough and how he was going to complain about this service station and that he would never ever visit here again.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
I hate people like that...who don't listen and then feel entitled.
Me too but for every one of them there?s a completely reasonable person who just dislikes gamestop?s practices.
What I?ve gathered from these articles are that gamestop customers are cretins while my personal experience at NYC gamestops is that everyone involved with that company is a cretin: except for the Rockefeller Center store (which runs like a normal store; you walk in, you buy something, and you go).
At first I was hoping to hear an expose about what the higher ups and major shareholders do with all their money or the real deal behind used games being sold as new or (given my experiences there) meth parties in the back room for all I know. Unfortunately it has turned out to be a rather predictable collection of anecdotes.

silversun101

Nov 12, 2009
My old manager NEVER appeased crazy people and I loved him for it. Since our District Manger's office was located in our store, and since he was rarely ever actually in his office, it was surprisingly easy for our Manager to treat morons exactly as they deserved by giving them the DM's office number when they wanted to make complaints and then standing back smugly as they punched the phone number into their cells, knowing the customer would wait impatiently, oblivious, as all the other employees listened to the faint ringing of an unanswered phone coming through the wall and tried not to laugh.

That man fostered a team of rebel anti-retailers; we were polite and courteous to customers, always helpful with a great repore, but God help the loudmouthed asshole who ignored our carefully explained policies and stepped out of line. This resulted in us having either the absolute best or worst customer reviews, depending on who you asked. It actually confounded the higher-ups as to why people were either giving us perfect 10's or 0's. As you can imagine, his upfront, no bullshit attitude left him at odds with his own bosses, and once Upper Management went through a rearranging, most of us didn't last long.

Travis Abraham

Jun 11, 2010
As a Third Key for Game Stop, this scenario happened all the time. District Managers are like the good cop to your bad cop. You do your job, and they undermine everything they tell you to do, and like it says, throw you under the bus!

Everything in all three parts is totally true.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
My sympathies. I rely on policy to back me up, and it's destabilising when your Manager just overrules that. On a whim they can make you seem unreasonable or even look like a bad employee, simply for following procedure.

I've had a customer scream abuse at me for explaining why I couldn't refund his broken-in-two disc (someone told him they could return it within 7 days for ANY reason) only for my manager to breeze in and laugh it off, refund the money and then advise me to just do it next time before they got so angry.

"So I should always just refund it?" I checked.
"No, of course not." He scoffed. "Just whenever they look like they're about to make a scene."

More sterling EB leadership.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I dont understand the point of returns policies, when the managers just ignore it and throw you under.

I always follow it to the letter, figuring that I can at least fall back on that, but will often find myself undermined in an attempt to 'appease' an unreasonable customer.

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
CitySquirrel said:
I love that these stores have policies the employees are expected to follow (or get fired) but then they have to magically determine the proper time to ignore the policies. This is despite the fact that it has been made clear they do not have that kind of authority.
Exactly! And without support from those in positions above you, you have the recipe for true misery and injustice for the person behind the counter. The rage he felt can be understood by anyone who has ever been in that position, it's lose/lose and bitter in it's unfairness.

I've always thought that people who mistreat people working for small dollars and little satisfaction in retail have never been behind a counter at any time in their life. Anyone who has tends to be much more considerate, and rightly so.

azurawolf

Apr 27, 2009
Aesthetical Quietus said:
When you attempt to get someone's attention while they are in the middle of a conversation or on the cell phone you are instantly the bad guy and will get a 5 minute lecture about being rude, no matter if they are holding up ten ton of people, doing something dangerous/potentially lethal, or illegal.
That totally reminds me of another retail story I have. xD

I currently work at Cracker Barrel (in the story part) and I was behind the cash register helping the cashier bag items because she was getting a pretty big line. She has just finished cashing out a customer (a white older guy) who I will call Guy1 and the next customer (an older African-American guy) who I will call Guy2 was talking to Guy1. The cashier was trying to get Guy2's attention because it was his turn to be rung up. She said 'Can I have the next guest in line' about 3 or 4 times and the other guests tried to get his attention but his conversation was too important.

Well, the cashier went to the customer behind Guy2 (a white female) let's name Girl and Girl gave the cashier her items to be rung up. By the time the cashier gave the total to Girl, Guy2 decided it was time for him to be rung up. He got all upset that he was skipped over and started causing a scene. The cashier tried to explain that she had said it was his turn a couple times, I tried explaining it to him, and so did Girl. He wouldn't listen. The cashier finally rung him up and he left. Later I learned that he had called into Home Office and complained. He wanted me fired because he said I had my hands on my hips and said that we were being recist because she rung up a white lady instead of him. He had yelled all the way to the door on his way out and the employee trainer (who had spoken to him after it happened) said that he had called me names on the way out. I couldn't believe it when I heard it. Thankfully I still have my job but we had to deal with it for weeks because his conversation was more important that anyone else behind him.

silversun101 said:
My old manager NEVER appeased crazy people and I loved him for it. Since our District Manger's office was located in our store, and since he was rarely ever actually in his office, it was surprisingly easy for our Manager to treat morons exactly as they deserved by giving them the DM's office number when they wanted to make complaints and then standing back smugly as they punched the phone number into their cells, knowing the customer would wait impatiently, oblivious, as all the other employees listened to the faint ringing of an unanswered phone coming through the wall and tried not to laugh.
That would be awesome. I would have to walk away in order not to laugh. I wish that was how it worked were I lived.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
meganmeave said:
While I agree that "Soccer Mom" was foolish, it has been my experience that certain Gamestop employees looove humiliating people who know less about video games than them. I would not be surprised if this employee took a little glee in telling the woman she could not get her money back. People love saying, "I told you so."

I'm not saying the district manager was correct, but I've worked in food services, retail and as a clerk collecting library fines. If there is one consistent thing I found while working in these places, it's this:

The customer is always right, but if the clerk ever has the chance to smirk at the customer's stupidity and deny them something they want, they're going for it.

It's very rare to find a clerk who isn't bitter about the way they are treated by over privileged customers.
I think that's why they tend to give the customer the benefit of the doubt. I've been on the receiving end of more than a few customer meltdowns and as long as you were following established policy and kept your cool, they won't actually do anything except over-rule you. Best policy when this happens is to immediately get a manager or give the customer contact information. Unless you're a manager, pass the buck and say "I'm sorry, I don't have the authority and could lose my job."

I find those last three words are an effective way to end the stand-off. Since it takes away the "I'll have your job for this" gambit.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Cassita said:
JeanLuc761 said:
Cassita said:
What's with all the GameStop topics and news popping up everywhere?

Is any of it really that big of a deal?
A lot of people find it interesting, so it's been popular as of late (especially given the reputation the store has).

If you aren't interested, don't read/comment about it.
No, no, I'm not hating - I just don't understand the fascination. I feel like I'm missing something.

All I know is they markup products and sell used games at a great profit.

/shrug

Seems like smart business to me.

What am I missing?
You also have to consider volume and demand. If you ran a business and someone wanted to sell you a copy of a game that you already had five copies of sitting in the used pile, would you offer them more money for it than if you had just one? For the most popular games we easily have upwards of fifteen or more used copies in my store, and nowadays most of those do not quickly sell since everyone who wanted those games has already bought them.

Also, when someone asks for credit or cash for something they trade in, that has to come from somewhere. Let's say you buy something on eBay dirt cheap, but then want to resell it when the time is right. You already paid X amount of money for it, so a mark-up will earn you a profit. However, once you factor in the use of funds to buy the item, the final equation may look like this:

Cash on hand - 50.00 - 10.00 = 40.00
Price of item - 10.00 to 29.99
If sold - Profit is 29.99 - 10.00 = 19.99

Don't get me wrong. I know Gamestop is making a good amount of cash with used sales, and they're not paupers by any means. Reserves, The Edge Card, Warranties, all of those bring in money, and we work with a lot of developers to promote their games. However, since we are a big name company, it brings in a lot of trade-in volume, some of which may never sell until some time later. But, that's business. It's risk versus rewards, and Gamestop has worked out a nice balance between the two.

"I understand that's the company's policy," he said. "But you still should have taken the game and refunded her money."
I had a customer pull this with me on the Modern Warfare 2 launch week.

I knew her kids were lying about getting a copy of the PC version of Final Fantasy XI in the case since the shrink wrap was very clearly the Y-fold, which is professionally done. Needless to say, our DM said to give her the game anyway, and I swear one of her kids shot me a smug grin as they left. Thankfully, we reported them to the other stores and I haven't seen them since.

Actually, I have nice term for people like that who take advantage of companies or people: Leeches.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
I used to do the line skipping all the time. If you're not ready, next. But I was dealing with a lot of drunk college kids. You could be incredibly rude to them and completely get away with it.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
this was a fantastic read. Quite refreshing or surprising that what people will do to appease others. :\

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I lost a retail job I held for 3 years thanks to random crazy women calling in to complain about me, so that particular anecdote hits home. I was a model employee, the regular customers all loved me, but because I was the only guy besides the manager who worked there and I'm the stoic type by nature, people (soccer moms, it was always crazy soccer moms) kept calling our customer feedback line to complain about my "attitude problem". Which I didn't have of course, I was unflinchingly polite and courteous in all my customer interactions, I'm just not gregarious and boundlessly cheerful so whenever there was something else bothering them they would project their issues onto me.

Never mind that I'd have customers asking for my name specifically so they could call and leave positive feedback about me, or telling other patrons all about how helpful I was - when you get X amount of anonymous customer complaints over interval Y, they fire you, whether or not any of the complaints were determined to be actually valid (I'd have to 'review' them with my manager whenever one came in, and the consensus was always that I'd done nothing wrong in my interactions with these customers, not that it mattered).

The best (worst) part is I'd never ever see these complaints coming, because I didn't have customers walking away in a rage or obviously upset (at me anyways, that would happen every so often) - they wouldn't say anything to me, they'd just go home and complain about me to a machine, and then I lost my damn job.

Reading this article kind of dredges up some bad memories. Thank goodness I'm out of the retail business.

Brumbek

Apr 6, 2010
Chad Brumfield said:
JeanLuc761 said:
Retail is a millstone for the human soul.
Very well said! I'm going to remember and use that line. When I worked in retail I always remembered the line from that Smiths song that although it pays my wage, it corrodes my soul. Fortunately, I left retail and hopefully will never return.

About the article, well...his attitude and talk was very poor to Soccer Mom. So although she was clearly a bit crazy, he still behaved poorly and could have been much nicer to her. You never know what people are going through, so it pays to be nice and sympathetic even to crazy people.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
I have a reasonable amount of autonomy at my work. I can approve or deny suspect returns, I can discount products to my hearts content, and I can pretty much fill in for any job around the store (techy, cashier, photo-centre girl, or my regular field, sales). This means I don't have to bend over backwards for customers, as all our employees are treated as people by the bosses and management. If other companies have the motto "The customer is always right", our mantra is "The employee is always right." It helps have a relaxed, but highly competent manager running the store. Our old manager was shocking, but he effectively got shipped off to a less important store because he sucked so bad.

The worst thing at our work though, is people coming in to ask for help. We have a Tech Bay, it's opened Monday to Friday, 9 to 5:30. Come in then. I am a salesperson. I am not here to help you with your 8 year old computer which you bought off a competitor, and I am not here to do it for free. I have better things to do with my time. Every minute of mine you waste, is dollars I am not earning. Of course, saying this would result in a customer complaint, and we can't have that. Not that I'd actually get in any notable trouble for it, but it would be a pain in the ass. It actually shits me to tears the amount of people who assume that I'm there to help them. I'm not. I'm a salesman. I'm inherently an asshole. I wish to rip you off and steal from your wallet, to buy myself lunch. I will do this with a smile and a silver tongue, but at the end, I am doing it for myself. And I cannot do this while you tie me up with your useless questions about fucking CDs and your old fucking records. I DO NOT GIVE A FUCK OLD LADY.

/rant

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
I love gaming, it's a major part of my life, and it's the same with my friends. So it seemed awesome that we opened and ran our own video game store. Reading this stuff is summoning the horrid memories of customers. Nothing ever coming in that was in good condition, and no matter what they brought in, people thought they trading gold. We did disk refurbishes and system repairs, and these people would always lie about taking apart their systems. they would open them up and ALWAYS rip the wire strips, then lie to my face, "it just stopped working."
"Did you take it apart?"
"No."
"Well, do you see these things that look like strips of paper, those are wires and they're destroyed and the guts look like someone was mashing them in to make them fit, also four screws are missing."
Then the people who would show up everyday hang around for hours and never buy anything. The two big ones, "Poke-Kid" and "Stinky". I ran the place for three years and believe that gamers, at least the ones who frequent game stores, are terrible people.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Netrigan said:
meganmeave said:
While I agree that "Soccer Mom" was foolish, it has been my experience that certain Gamestop employees looove humiliating people who know less about video games than them. I would not be surprised if this employee took a little glee in telling the woman she could not get her money back. People love saying, "I told you so."

I'm not saying the district manager was correct, but I've worked in food services, retail and as a clerk collecting library fines. If there is one consistent thing I found while working in these places, it's this:

The customer is always right, but if the clerk ever has the chance to smirk at the customer's stupidity and deny them something they want, they're going for it.

It's very rare to find a clerk who isn't bitter about the way they are treated by over privileged customers.
I think that's why they tend to give the customer the benefit of the doubt. I've been on the receiving end of more than a few customer meltdowns and as long as you were following established policy and kept your cool, they won't actually do anything except over-rule you. Best policy when this happens is to immediately get a manager or give the customer contact information. Unless you're a manager, pass the buck and say "I'm sorry, I don't have the authority and could lose my job."

I find those last three words are an effective way to end the stand-off. Since it takes away the "I'll have your job for this" gambit.
Exactly. I don't understand why his response was to decide to personally tell off the woman. Just say, "I'm sorry, I don't have the authorization to do that, let me get my manager."

My guess is he couldn't resist being the one to tell the Mom, "I told you so." He would have been much less frustrated, and so would she, most likely, if he had handled the situation better.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
It always bothered me during my brief stint at EB Games that the manager would never back you up. It follows a very basic formula:

Manager: Here are the rules. You must follow them.
Cashier: Ok.
Customer: Complaint!
Manager: Ignore the rule for this person.
Cashier: Buh?
Customer: Smugness.

Every time. The manager's justification for bending company policy for every single person who objected to the rules? That if the complaint was escalated to the DM he'd just give them whatever they wanted anyway.
Of course the cashier has to be wrong before the manager will step in and bend the rules for them - the cashier has no discretion to do so himself - but the cashier still gets in trouble for upsetting the customer.

Honestly, one time it even went down like this:
Customer makes unreasonable demand.
I ask manager if this can be done, manager tells me no and makes me feel like an idiot for asking.
I tell the customer no, sorry, we can't do that.
Customer loses her shit and demands to speak with the manager.
Manager immediately grants the customer's request, then berates me for not solving the problem myself.

Of course if I had applied the solution myself, I would have been busted by my manager for breaking policy. The store manager on the other hand doesn't have to justify every little decision to his DM - as long as the store looks good and the sales figures look good, the DM is happy.

But cashiers deal with whoever comes along. You have no capacity to assist them apart from ringing up their sale and making a handful of pre-programmed suggestions: "there's a pre-owned copy of this", "you can trade towards this and save", "if you trade this in before X date you'll get $x trade value" or the farcical favourite: "if you don't pre-order this you'll have to wait weeks for us to restock". As soon as things go off script you've got a customer abusing you and going straight over your head, and a manager abusing you for being the one who got lumped with a problem you're not authorised to solve.

Your longevity at a Gamestop or EB Games is directly linked to the quality of the customers you happen to serve.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Wow. Gamespike. Talk about wild. Though, me, I wouldn't have given her the full refund for a spiked copy of the game.