275: Confessions of a GameStop Employee - Part Three

Tonythion

Aug 28, 2010
..So how was B.E.N. supposed to know whether or not to refund her money? Company policy is company policy, plus she was informed on what would happen. Her own fault she was acting all high and mighty. Sometimes I don't get the Dist.managers, if you give in to one customer you have to give in to all of them.

I live in an area where there are like ten gamestops all within a five mile radius and all the employees are very nice and I have yet to see a rabid soccer mom...well I met one douchebag employee, IMO it looked liked he hated video games...and I can't get hired there...even when I'm dishing out more information than some employees.

Vivace-Vivian

Apr 6, 2010
They get us to bend over backwards to avoid a scene too. People don?t seem to understand that EB Employees are people. Just people. We're not retail gods or minions. We're not out to get you. We're just out to get paid and be done with it.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
I had that exact same thing happen to me.

Background: I worked at AMC Theaters. The MPAA says that someone with you has to be 18 to see an R-Rated movie. Normally, this job gets dumped on the box office people, but on weekend nights, they put extra people outside R-Rated theaters checking IDs.

One night, I was such a person. A couple that looked 15-16 tries to walk right past me. I stop them and ask for their IDs. The girl says she doesn't have one but is 18 and the guy is 16. I tell them she should go get her ID and come back because I can't let them in thanks to theater policy. They freak out and rage at me for 5 minutes while I try to appease them (and eventually ignore them and continue on to other patrons). They talk to the manager, and he lets them in, simply for causing a fuss.

FUCK. THAT. SHIT.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Falseprophet said:
I'd suggest that everyone should have to work a minimum period of public service before they're allowed into stores and malls. But then again, my friend used to be a waiter and is harder than anyone else I know on waitstaff.
I doubt it would matter. People have a truly amazing ability to set double standards for themselves and expect preferential treatment. People who throw temper tantrums like that aren't doing it because they think things through rationally.

These will be the same people who will be rude to customers, get pissed off at their boss because he's "on their case" when they don't do their job right, and complain about customers having the audacity to ask for no mayo on their hamburger. They will never, ever make the connection when they blow up on a sales clerk that "Hey, I'm being just like that customer I hated for being rude to me last week!".

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Travis Abraham said:
As a Third Key for Game Stop, this scenario happened all the time. District Managers are like the good cop to your bad cop. You do your job, and they undermine everything they tell you to do, and like it says, throw you under the bus!

Everything in all three parts is totally true.
That's not how "good cop, bad cop" works. The idea is that the bad cop is supposed to make the suspect feel threatened so that the good cop can get the guy's trust by being the good guy who's trying to help him out.

agrandstudent

Nov 23, 2009
deth2munkies said:

Background: I worked at AMC Theaters. The MPAA says that someone with you has to be 18 to see an R-Rated movie. Normally, this job gets dumped on the box office people, but on weekend nights, they put extra people outside R-Rated theaters checking IDs.

One night, I was such a person. A couple that looked 15-16 tries to walk right past me. I stop them and ask for their IDs. The girl says she doesn't have one but is 18 and the guy is 16. I tell them she should go get her ID and come back because I can't let them in thanks to theater policy. They freak out and rage at me for 5 minutes while I try to appease them (and eventually ignore them and continue on to other patrons). They talk to the manager, and he lets them in, simply for causing a fuss.

FUCK. THAT. SHIT.
I have a similar story.
I was an usher for the theater I worked at. This normally meant going into the theaters after the movie was over and cleaning up for the next show. Sometimes this meant ripping tickets and letting customers into the lobby. One day a manager ask me to start being the ticket ripper but because the district manager was supposed to be coming this day I had to be extra stick about letting people in with food. I thought no big deal so the day went on and I never had a problem with this until around 7pm some kid tries to walk into the theater with a large pizza. I politely tell him that I can't let him in with the pizza. He basically just stands there with a look of confusion. He then tries to explain that his movie is starting soon and his mother is waiting for him inside. Every time he tries find a new reason for why he should be let in with a huge ass pizza box I simply keep repeating that I can't let him in with food. At one point I even tell him to try and hid the pizza box and sneak it in and I wont care how poorly he did it. Unfortunately it was 7pm one of the busier times to be there and the line to get in was growing rapidly. I start letting the other customers in but I was too late and the massive line had gained the attention of my manager. He decides it's ok for the kid to come in and then ask me why I didn't just let him in. I didn't get in any trouble and the manager is a pretty nice guy this is more the story of the stupid customer.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
deth2munkies said:

FUCK. THAT. SHIT.
Growing up, my Dad was the sort who knew how to make a fuss until he got what he wanted. It's amazingly easy. Most employees simply do not give enough of a shit to listen to you complain more than five minutes and will generally give in just to shut you up.

I'm more likely to punish the company than the employee. Not long ago, I bought a used copy of Saints Row from Gamestop. I picked up a copy of the game with the label on it and was taken aback when the employee gave me one of those generic covers. I ask her if I can have the regular cover and she tells me that she can only give that out if its the last copy. Perfectly polite, no attitude, just explaining what her instructions are to me.

Decision time. I can be a total ass and get something of highly dubious worth. Really, all I need to do is make a scene and the cover is mine.

Or I can make the decision to never, ever buy another used game from a company that would use a bait-and-switch policy like that.

I said nothing, returned it the next day, and bought it off of Amazon for cheaper. Now the comic shop *next* door gets my used game business. Excellent customer service policy Gamestop. Keep on reaching for the gutter.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Here's an opposite example of dealing with a customer who called the DM on me.

I was working on a sunday along with my friend Alan (who was the Asst. Manager and I had known for 5 years prior to working with him from his old comic shop) at Software Etc before the buyout. This was the late 90's, so tv's weren't up to date like now.

Anyway we get a call and I answer the phone, it was sunday so it was slow in the mall we were located at, so I answer first basically to find something to do. The person on the other end was kind of shy asking her question, beating around the bush when it turned out that her question was about hooking up a DVD player to an old analog tv without AV jacks.

She apologized and said she knew this was a game store but she hoped I would be able to give her an idea on who to call. I had gotten a DVD player when they had first came out and had to do the same thing so I knew exactly how to hook it up. I asked her if she was willing to come to the mall and buy the stuff at Radio Shack since it was across from us and if so, I could have the stuff ready for her there and all she had to do was go home and hook it up.

I told Alan what I was doing and he said to go ahead since we were so slow that day. I took the cordless phone we had across the hallway to the Shack and told her the things she would need and the prices. She said that the price didn't matter, she just needed it hooked up. So I took the stuf to the cashier and told them what was going on and had him talk to the woman on the phone. When we were done she thanked me and I went across to our store hung the phone up and drew up a diagram to show her how to hook it all up.

Later on we get a call from the same woman and she just wanted to thank me for taking the time to help her (all told it was about 45 minutes to an hour) and that her grandkids were tickled pink they could watch their movies. I told her that it was no problem and my pleasure and tolod her that if she needed any other advice to give me a call and I'd try to help her anytime.

The next week, she comes into the store and buys about $700 worth of games and systems for her grandkids. She made sure to tell the manager that it was her way of thanking us (particualarly me) for helping her out when she really needed it and that she would continue using the store and make sure everyone she knew went there instead of the other stores.

The next time I worked I got a call from the DM. She had called him and told him how i had gone above and beyond the call of duty to help her and how much she had spent in the store since then because of it. He thanked me profusly and told me that as a way of thanking me he was giving me a Playstation and an N64 with two games for each. (I already had both systems, but they made me really popular with my brother when I gave them to him lol).

Sorry for the wall of text, but I just wanted to show that there are good customers and good associates everywhere. I didn't do it for free stuff, I had done it because someone needed help and I knew I could help.

EDB

Apr 5, 2005
am I the only person on Escapist that dislikes this article series? It's not just one particular reason either.

For one, I don't understand the point of the series. Is it to ridicule GameStop's practices? Because they are very standard in retail nor are they abnormal or difficult in any manner. Or maybe the point of this was to say "retail suxxors", which is repetitive because it's not like we haven't heard a million other people complaining about their adventures in retail. Did the author intend to show just how terrible it was to work at GameStop? It's not actually. It's one of the easiest retail jobs out there. Anyone who can't make it there shouldn't bother with retail at all.

Two, let's discuss the "soccer mom". One thing you need, at least a little bit of, when working in retail is 'empathy'. Look it up. Yes, the 'soccer mom' dismissed your first offer of purchasing it used. So when she returned to the store, you're first reaction is, naturally, to reply with policy and deny her. Here's a couple things you could have done instead to remedy the situation:
a) You could have asked the Manager on Duty (MoD) to listen to the customer's complaint and make a decision whether or not to bend the rules 'this one time'. (note: there is always, I repeat, *always* a manager working at GameStop. It is strictly against policy for there not to be one during store hours.)
b) You could have apologized and explained "I can go ahead and take it back for you this one time but I'm not supposed to. Next time just get used if you're not sure." Then immediately inform your Store Manager or any other active manager of your transaction.
c) When the 'soccer mom' denied the used game, you could have persisted:
"Are you sure? If they don't like it, I can't take it back once they play it."
"Yes, I am sure. I never buy used, always new."
"The great thing about the Used-Game-Program is that if your kids decide they love the game, you can still buy new. All you have to do is bring the used game back into the store and we'll switch it out for a brand new copy. You only pay the difference in cost. If they don't like it then, as I said before, I can just get you a refund. It's like free rental, *cue laughter*"

Notice that? In this hypothetical conversation, you explained to her why she might be making an incorrect decision while addressing her immediate concerns.

Here's what you did instead:
"Do you want used, instead? You can't bring back a new copy."
"No thanks, I always buy new."
"Okay, your loss."
*hour later*
"My children hated this game!"
"Hey, I told you that you couldn't bring it back. You're SOL woman."

Your district manager didn't punish you for following policy. It's 'how' you handled the situation and 'how' you chose to follow that policy. ie with a general lack of respect for the customer, regardless of fault. (for example: "scolding her". Your District Manager isn't wrong, you technically did scold this woman and probably embarrassed her. Would you want to be treated that way if you were in a Walmart or Target?)

You might feel 'justified' but never in retail is it okay to treat your customers as if they are inferior. The customer is the one giving you money. That money funds the operation that writes you a check every two weeks. I'm very surprised that whoever the MoD was that day did not intervene for you. If I were your boss that day, I would have sent you home for talking down to a customer.

I've had quite a few customers similar to this situation. Every time, I simply explained to them what was wrong with the request they offered me and despite solving it for them this time, cautioned them for next time in a respectful and cheerful manner.

Third... well I don't remember what my other talking points were. If your attitude has been this aggressive from day one, I'm not surprised you were fired. You don't belong in retail. You probably do belong in the post office, shut in and away from society so we don't have to hear you whispering to yourself how we are all big idiots or something.

Can't wait for part 4 to see how you get axed. My bet's on that you threw a fit.

angry_flashlight

Jul 20, 2010
Anyone else getting an Acts of Gord [http://actsofgord.com/] feeling? There's some real idiocy out there.

It's sad day for society when adults can get whatever they want just by throwing a tantrum that would have a spoiled 5 year old put to shame. Then having them complain about you behind your back only makes them seem more immature.

Edit: ^this guy needs to visit my link. People just don't treat the regular grunts (pardon the phrase) like this, they'll treat anyone in the store like this, including the owner.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Remember, in retail, the money is the most important thing... and it's attached to customers, so we have to be nice to them, too. When dealing with a difficult customer, you have to try your best to be polite. If you can no longer be polite, hand them off to someone else who can be. The entire strategy is to defuse the situation and find a way to make them happy, not to be right. Given a choice between being right and getting a customer's money, they will always choose the money.

And I'm more than a bit disappointed in the articles. I was expecting some expose of Gamestop's policies. Instead, it's standard issue funny tales from retail. You could call this Confessions Of A Sandwich Artist and it would practically be the same article.

dibblywibbles

Mar 20, 2009
it's not different anywhere else. Managers will always throw you under a bus if they can. Union environments are the exception though, mainly because they can't. entertaining but seriously, I've dealt with thousands(not even exaggerating) of customers like soccer mom. try working in electronics dept. of your local wal mart and you deal with this at least 3 times a day. I always felt bad for those poor girls at the return counter.

TarkXT

Sep 7, 2009
Netrigan said:
And I'm more than a bit disappointed in the articles. I was expecting some expose of Gamestop's policies. Instead, it's standard issue funny tales from retail. You could call this Confessions Of A Sandwich Artist and it would practically be the same article.
I think the point here is "demystification". No it's nothing special but those who've never had the wonderful experience of retail assume that warlocks gather around a cauldron in the black of night behind the store and conjure new devilish tricks to inflict on customers under the fluorescent gloom of the store.

You don't belong in retail.
No one does. There are torments in hell less painful. Here's a few points I've gained from working many long years behind various counters getting my particular career off the ground.

1. You can walk away with the entire store and it is store policy everywhere in america for the cashier not to even look in your general direction. Some stores the cops might even get called but by that time you've already spent your ill gotten gains and will likely never get caught. Just recently in my area two pharmacies were robbed in a day by a man with a post-it note.

2. Retail teaches customers to be assholes. If you want something and aren't getting it you aren't acting dickish enough. My fiance recently had to tell someone that they couldn't purchase lumbering materials with their foodstamp card. After throwing a tantrum they walked away with a very large discount. Meanwhile my poor polite self pays full price.

3. Signs, no matter how large and bright never work. I've had customers slam face first into a door with bright pink signs saying "This door is locked. Use the other door."

4. No matter how courteous, polite, and respectful you are you are being rude to the person in front of you. Especially after the fact.

5. It pays to have regular customers you know on a first name basis. You'll be surprised how often one will come to your aid when the douchebags fly.

6. The only job worse in a retail store than being a cashier is being a retail store manager.

7. Policy only applies to you. Never to the customer, store manager, district store manager, regional store manager, the dirt, or people doing anything illegal.

As for the soccer mom it's difficult to convey attitude and emotion through prose without a great deal of practice and work with a fantastic editor (just to note the editors at the escapist are fantastic and I've worked with a few). People are basically telling poor ben here all the things he could have done differently when they all amount to the same result. Saying to do it this time but you won't do it next time creates a precedent. A precedent is a flaw, a verbal loophole, made by your own words in which the customer can choose to exploit to their benefit for next time. For every customer you've told not to do it next time a good half of them probably turned around and did it again because someone (that someone being you) opened the doorway by doing it for them the first time. Because now they know you can do it and can simply ignore your warnings about next time. So instead of being thrown under the bus you just threw someone else under it. Nice job.

With this in mind I have no tolerance for adults who act like children. I am so much more willing to help someone who is polite and calm even when being completely unreasonable than I do with someone who for the life of them can't grasp the idea of using an inside voice to complain about the clerk not being able to take a week old expired coupon.

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
I have never had to deal with such stupidity (largely because when I worked in a restaurant, I hid in the kitchen making food and only had to deal with morons at one remove) but if I ever witness it in a shop, I hope I have the chance to walk up to the imbecile making a scene and call him/her on it.

"I've shopped here for years and I've never been treated so...!"
Pardon me, are you a time traveller?
"Who the hell are you?!"
Just a fellow consumer and I'm mildly curious how you managed to shop here for years when this business opened six months ago. Are you a time traveller or simply the arrogant prick you seem to be?

Yes, it might earn me a fist to the nose but by gods, I'd love to do it.

Synonymous

Aug 6, 2009
I'm mildly ticked about gutting only because I really would like to get my meager Club Nintendo bonuses, but is the shrink-wrap thing that big a deal that we have to spend two sessions on it? (I ask in honesty; I grasp that it is indeed at least somewhat of a big deal.)

Netrigan said:
The credit card one is classic. I always like when they get annoyed when you ask for their ID when they've written on the back of the card "Ask For ID".
My favorite is when a customer brings in someone else's credit card and gets mad when they're told they can't use it. I haven't had the large percentage of atrocious customers reported by other retail workers in this thread (actually, I found my coworkers much more miserable than the customers on balance), but this one practice is just so prevalent and so, one would think, easy to understand why a store can't do it. I'd usually get one or two customers a day, though, who'd want to pay with their spouse's/parent's/friend's/boss's credit card and would get usually indignant that they couldn't.

SenseOfTumour said:
Yeah, something I hear that is slowly gaining popularity in retail is the simple concept that good employees are more valuable than shitty whining customers. There's really not much profit in a customer than bitches about everything in front of other customers (making you look bad) then demands to return everything at full price (losing you profit).
Unless we're talking about something else, I believe that's "differentiated service," the idea that not all customers contribute equal profit to a business and that it's optimal to let the troublesome or low-margin customers go in favor of keeping the good, high-profit ones (in contrast to the "customer is always right" mantra of previous days). It's been floating around for a bit and has little to do with employees, sadly. I'm not yet so optimistic to believe that stores care a whit about keeping their good help.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
I am really enjoying this series. I've been through pretty much everything he describes, except for actually working at a games store.

The escapist needs more mini-series like this.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I don't think gutting would be such a problem if we could be sure what games were brand new and had simply had their discs filed away. (because they're still new, obviously) and preowned, traded in stuff that looks the same.