I Can Be a Computer Engineer Barbie Sends Girls the Opposite Message - Update

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
I Can Be a Computer Engineer Barbie Sends Girls the Opposite Message - Update

A book in the Barbie I Can Be series encourages girls to be computer engineers but also reinforces sexism in programming.

Update: Barbie apologized for the I Can Be a Computer Engineer book, which originally came out in 2010. The company said in those four years, it has reworked its portrayal of Barbie.

"The portrayal of Barbie in this specific story doesn't reflect the Brand's vision for what Barbie stands for," a statement reads on the official Barbie Facebook page [https://www.facebook.com/barbie/posts/10153354397794466]. "We believe girls should be empowered to understand that anything is possible and believe they live in a world without limits. We apologize that this book didn't reflect that belief. All Barbie titles moving forward will be written to inspire girls imaginations and portray an empowered Barbie character."

Original story: For months Amazon reviews of the Barbie book I Can Be a Computer Engineer have been incredibly negative, but it was only recently that media caught on to the book's problematic portrayal of a woman who wants to make games.

I Can Be a Computer Engineer released in June 2013 along with I Can Be an Actress. The book has gone on to have an overwhelmingly large number of one-star reviews on Amazon. [http://www.amazon.com/Actress-Computer-Engineer-Barbie-Pictureback/dp/0449816192] Some reviews read as follows:

I found the sexist drivel that this book portays to be especially inflammatory, so much so that I've placed it near my fireplace for emergency use during a power outage. The demeaning words add extra fuel as they certainly come from the fire of hell itself.
Also wonderful for starting your backyard grill.

Barbie starts out at breakfast stating that she's designing a game but when questioned by her sister Skipper, she admits, "I'm only creating the design idea, I'll need Steven and Brian's help to turn it into a real game". Literally six sentences into the story, and already Barbie can NOT do it... I work as a software engineer, which is a male dominated field. It is exactly these stereotypes and portrayals of girls like the one in this book that are the driving force behind the lack of girls wanting to enter these lucrative technology fields. This book is part of the problem.

An appalling representation of how women act in the world of technology.
Lessons you learn from "I Can Be a Computer Engineer":

A girl needs a boy to do anything of value.
Women are not able to fix their own computer problems.
Girls need boys to do their work for them but can simply take the credit and no one will worry about who really did the work since, duh! a girl couldn't have done it by herself.

Basically this book enforces all the bad stereotypes about women/girls not being capable enough to compete with men/boys when it comes to careers in technology. Fantastic.

Women in geek culture are already treated as second class citizens, this book had a chance to do something good and failed - MISERABLY.

The book met much greater attention this week when writer and actress Pamela Ribon wrote a post on Pamie.com [http://pamie.com/2014/11/barbie-fucks-it-up-again/] verbally tearing the book to shreds. Ribon recounts her experience first reading the book after a friend told her about it. Ribon was first pleased to see Barbie talking about making a game that was educational, fun, and cute.

Unfortunately, Barbie then says, "I'm only creating the design ideas. I'll need Steven and Brian's help to turn it into a real game!"

For the rest of the story, Barbie struggles with malware and then gets Steven and Brian to fix it, and she then presents her game design project as her own project despite doing none of the programming for it.

Common discussion of this book comes after Rosetta scientist Matt Taylor, who worked with the European Space Agency to wore a shirt with revealing pictures of women on it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138554-ESA-Space-Probe-Rosetta-Sends-Philae-Lander-on-Comet]. Taylor's shirt was just one example of casual sexism that makes women feel unwelcome in STEM. Taylor apologized.

For a different take on the book, check out PhD student Casey Fiesler's transformative changes [http://www.themarysue.com/barbie-remix/], which take on traditional gender roles and masculinity and exposes the problem of people assuming the women on a game developer team is working on art rather than the code.

Source: Pamie.com [http://www.amazon.com/Actress-Computer-Engineer-Barbie-Pictureback/product-reviews/0449816192/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_11?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&pageNumber=11&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending]

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Not a surprise really, Barbie has been inadvertently doing these things for years.

As for the other story:
Damn Matt Taylor, where the hell do you even get a shirt like that?! xD

Jan 27, 2011
My question: Is anyone ACTUALLY surprised?

Seriously, ANYONE?

That said, it's still disappointing. They COULD have shocked the world by putting out a positive message. But they didn't. Because of course they didn't. -_-

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
My favorite part of the original article is this paragraph describing the book, which is one of those split books where you can turn it upside-down and open it from the other end to read a different one, in this case I Can Be an Actress:

Flip the book and you can read ?Barbie: I can be an Actress,? where Barbie saves the day by filling in for the princess in Skipper?s school production of ?Princess and the Pea.? She ad-libs and smiles her way through her lines, and charms the entire audience. Standing ovation, plenty of praise. At no point did she need anybody?s help. She didn?t even need lines! Just standing there being Barbie was enough for everyone in attendance. See, actors? It?s not that hard. Even Barbie can do it.

When you hold the book in your hands to read a story, the opposite book is upside down, facing out. So the final insult to this entire literary disaster is that when you read ?Barbie: I Can Be a Computer Engineer,? it appears that you are so fucking dumb, you?re reading ?Barbie: I Can Be an Actress? upside down.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
The article was good until it started presenting the writer's opinion as fact. The book is sexist, even if you don't think it was bad, it was, by the definition, sexist. However I fail to see how the mere depiction of women with literally no context can be sexist. The conclusion that the creator and wearer of the shirt thought that women were only objects here for our pleasure is making one hell of an assumption.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Are we going after dumb shit that happened 4 years ago now?

Wow, Barbie, a rather outdated product when it comes to sending messages about anything (the only message it sends is "If you look pretty enough you dont have to do shit because your price will come along and save you"), has a book where the general message is dumb as fuck. Who knew?

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Story said:
As for the other story:
It was a birthday gift made by his friend Elly Prizeman.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Story said:
Not a surprise really, Barbie has been inadvertently doing these things for years.

As for the other story:
Apparently a friend made it for him. I'm guessing he wanted to wear that shirt for her. Also way to hit the guy when he was down Escapist. The guy probably just wanted to wear that shirt because it was a gift and was special to him. Not to mention the fact that almost every website out there has already thoroughly dissed him on what was supposed to be one of the biggest days of his life.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Hey, the thumbnail for this story isn't displaying correctly.

As to the rest - meh. I really think this only came up because recently people found a feminism in STEM thing to seize on and they went looking for more. Otherwise it would have been news before now.

The only noteworthy thing about this story is the response by the company, which can be noted as reasonable.

Booklover13

Mar 10, 2014
aegix drakan said:

Seriously, ANYONE?

That said, it's still disappointing. They COULD have shocked the world by putting out a positive message. But they didn't. Because of course they didn't. -_-
I actually am a bit. Barbie has always given me a 'Legally Blonde' vibe. In the history of the brand Barbie has been just about everything, so it is quite surprising to me. Seriously, how many female surgeons existed in 1973? Because Barbie was one in that year. I think people get so caught up sometime they forget that Barbie is a positive female role-model. That makes this actually surprising because for a doll created to expand girls views of what they could do. I don't know what I am more disappointed in, the book, or the people who this this is par for the course.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
The goofy shirt is not sexist. Just kind of tacky. That book? Definitely. Without a doubt. And while I don't want to introduce any sort of controversial topics here (though I know just saying this has a risk of opening a can of worms), as someone who is called sexist merely because I have certain opinions on the things going on in gaming, it's nice to see a clear-cut, actual example of sexist stupidity. And a certain person would do well to go after this sort of thing, because it actually could affect millions of young girls and the way they think about future careers instead of attacking video games because some of them have scantily clad attractive women.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
CrazyBlaze said:
Apparently a friend made it for him. I'm guessing he wanted to wear that shirt for her. Also way to hit the guy when he was down Escapist. The guy probably just wanted to wear that shirt because it was a gift and was special to him. Not to mention the fact that almost every website out there has already thoroughly dissed him on what was supposed to be one of the biggest days of his life.
MiskWisk said:
It was a birthday gift made by his friend Elly Prizeman.
Thanks you two, I was actually pretty curious.
I can easily see why he thought it was a great idea to wear the shirt given how his female friend made it for him and it showed women in the shirt itself.
That's a shame.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Booklover13 said:
aegix drakan said:

Seriously, ANYONE?

I actually am a bit. Barbie has always given me a 'Legally Blonde' vibe. In the history of the brand Barbie has been just about everything, so it is quite surprising to me. Seriously, how many female surgeons existed in 1973? Because Barbie was one in that year. I think people get so caught up sometime they forget that Barbie is a positive female role-model. That makes this actually surprising because for a doll created to expand girls views of what they could do. I don't know what I am more disappointed in, the book, or the people who this this is par for the course.
Don't be absurd. A few good examples doesn't outweigh all the bad ones.
Oh, and did that surgeon Barbie have the completely unrealistic unhealthy supermodel figure that all Barbies do? I'm guessing it did.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Alexander Kirby said:
The article was good until it started presenting the writer's opinion as fact. The book is sexist, even if you don't think it was bad, it was, by the definition, sexist. However I fail to see how the mere depiction of women with literally no context can be sexist. The conclusion that the creator and wearer of the shirt thought that women were only objects here for our pleasure is making one hell of an assumption.
The author of the article did not say that the wearer of the shirt held any such beliefs. The article claimed that wearing the shirt (with a link to an image of the man wearing the shirt) was an example of casual sexism. I agree that context is necessary, but the context is presented in the article and via hyperlinks.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Eh, anyone using anything Barbie for their kids education is a moron anyway. It just seems so stupid... they should have had 3 girls working on the game, then it wouldn't have been an issue for anyone. If Brian and Steve were Brianna and Stephanie, this wouldn't be happening.

Captcha: Time machine
- don't you wish, Barbie!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So did no one in the company proof read/ double check the book at all? I take it as a no.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I'm guessing the point of keeping Barbie's task design-focused was because they figured the design aspect would be more appealing to girls than the coding process. Which, as people have correctly pointed out, only reinforces the idea that girls can't do coding. And that also doesn't make her a computer engineer, that makes her a visual designer. Perhaps this would have been a bit better if they just took out the idea of coding it and made it "I can be a Graphic Designer." Or if they just stopped being condescending and just let her code.

Either way, a very unfortunate thing. Glad they acknowledged the problem.

Booklover13

Mar 10, 2014
Maze1125 said:
Booklover13 said:
aegix drakan said:

Seriously, ANYONE?

Don't be absurd. A few good examples doesn't outweigh all the bad ones.
Oh, and did that surgeon Barbie have the completely unrealistic unhealthy supermodel figure that all Barbies do? I'm guessing it did.
I disagree strongly that there are a bunch of bad examples. Heck I'd argue that there are a far greater number of good then bad. Barbie has be everything, and I do mean everything, [take a look](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbie's_careers). The only potentially bad influence I can think of is the one you mentions, the body type. Just to be clear, are you are telling be she can not be a positive influence solely because of her appearance? A few things one that.

1. The doll was created in 1959, not exactly an era that focused on weight size.

2. The doll's breasts and their noticeable existence was very important when it was released. This was because they wanted it to be clear this was a adult woman doing these things. This lets girls see themselves in these roles in the future. Where as the dolls of that era only reinforce the homemaker role.

3. This was mostly about making the clothes easier to change an have them fall right. This is important to to functions of the doll.

4. They have increased the waist size

5. Boys toys can be just as bad, most 'space armor' is just as impossible.

And surgeon Barbie can stand on her own, she doesn't wear heals. Thanks for putting all the value on her body though!

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Women in geek culture are already treated as second class citizens,
It always makes me sad to see this since the belief primarily comes from female 'empowerment' groups and media covering any case of poor treatment like it's the norm. It's like how the same groups push the 'rape culture' narrative and then bemoan that a woman can't walk down the street at night without fearing rape. This stuff isn't helpful and does more to make women believe they'll be shunned than any actual shunning that happens.

Do find the story kind of funny, it sounds like they modeled Barby after Anita Sarkeesian, a glorified consultant.