Super BioWare RPG: Origins: Awakening II: Turbo Edition

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ohhhh yes. This is a process I am familiar with.

You know that opening sequence in the first Mass Effect? The one where Shepard walks to the cockpit of the Normandy, then stops and the camera does a pan around to her face. Yeah. I have had to watch that many, many times.

"Please look decent, please look decent, please look decent... here we go... aaaaaaand ARRRGHHH, THE CHEEKBONES! WHY?! RESTART!"

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Also seen similarly recently with Wasteland 2, except that Step 1 is really just Step 2 in disguise. Then a Monk comes along and nukes your clothes off, so no only are you fugly but you're also running around in your scants.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Yes, that was Oblivion, in spades. I only ever managed to get around it by modding the races so far beyond lore-friendly that I knew they'd look decent whatever the settings.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
Sounds like me in almost any game with a decent character creator.

I've made so many characters that's never made it past the first time I could see them in proper lighting conditions...

"Eyecolor ain't right ", "Needs higher cheekbones ", "Nah, should have gone with that other hairstyle ", "Needs thicker eyebrows ", "Too fat/skinny ", "Too old/young ", "Don't quite like those lips ", "Need to change the eye shape ", "Not quite the right skin tone ", "Need a bigger/smaller nose "... the list goes on and on and on.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
OH GOD THIS IS SO TRUE. I SPEND HOURS MAKING CHARACTERS, GOING THROUGH AN HOUR OF CUTSCENCES AND THEN HAVING TO REPEAT ALSO MY CAPSLOCK IS BROKEN I AM SO MADFACE WHYNONATURALLIGHTINGINCREATION.

I hope someone makes a mod with real lighting during creation.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Destiny had this issue big time, coupled with not being able to see the back of the head....

My character looked sufficiently cool and mysterious, till I saw him at the Tower where he looked like a ginger twat with a bowl cut and two halves of a mango for a mouth.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Hah.
You guys are unlucky.

I had one shot, and luckily that was the character I chosen.
The look I was going for was "rookie who hasn't done anything good for himself". So he was young, had a few scars, and had eyes that wanted to do something.

DA:I is going good though. :D

bdeamon

Mar 20, 2013
What really helped me was turning the gamma all the way up just for the creation part and putting it back for the rest of the game.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Huh, I don't really have these issues since I don't feel my character needs to be pretty, male or female. If they come out looking smoking hot (or as smoking hot as the engine will allow) I play them that way. If not, then I focus less on it. It's a bit of meta roleplaying I guess?

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Oh yes. Even when I take the time to examine every step on the slider from every angle, something about the character creation screen just doesn't transition properly into the game, and every hero I make looks terrible.

In Mass Effect 1, I gave a black guy ginger hair... like, I don't even know how I did it! I certainly didn't mean to, but it happened!

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Yeeeep. I did this with my Inquisition character too, but I just rolled with it. My Dwarf didn?t have eyebrows, and I guess I just missed it in the character creation. That and the preset had lips too red for my liking, so I tried to fix it by using pink lipstick. Looked fine in the character creation-- ?Oh shit,? when I was done. XD

I mean, it makes sense for them to have the character creation taking place in the Fade (and it was a really clever idea), but it kind of stabs your character in the chest with a wooden stake. It doesn?t pierce the heart and ruin the character entirely, but it really does kill the experience a bit.

oggebogge91 said:
How about playing for 25 hours and realizing you hate playing as a rogue? I'm crying inside.
That?s how I felt in Dragon Age 2. In Origins I was all about those backstabs, but in DA2 you need that passive ability from the Shadow specialization tree in order to get backstab crits. I didn?t know that on my first run and I was just totally bored as a rogue with no backstabs. When I realized that I spend all of my time as Bethany, and then?
I fucking blew a gasket when Bethany died. Urgh?. I tried to replace her with Meyril, but I don?t really like Meryil, so the whole game was kind of spoiled for me after that.
Yes, I made sure my second play through of DA2, I made a mage. XD

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
Reminds me of a recent moment when I retried Eve Online. During my absence they redid the character creator, and since they're morons, they didn't offer an option to keep the old character portraits. So I was forced to play with their Barbie and Ken doll maker, which I hate, for all three characters.

The relevant part? No matter what I did for my main character, one of his eyes points inward. A LOT. It is impossible to get him to look like he doesn't have strabismus, unless I BUY a resculpt from them. For real money. (Edit: totally sent in a petition with a big, clear picture of the problem. Closed without response by CCP.)

So yeah, now he wears his sunglasses in space.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I've never had this problem in any of biowares games, just gotta keep rotating the characters head viewing it from every angle possible making sure nothing is off. The more time you tweak the better the result.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Zhukov said:
Ohhhh yes. This is a process I am familiar with.

You know that opening sequence in the first Mass Effect? The one where Shepard walks to the cockpit of the Normandy, then stops and the camera does a pan around to her face. Yeah. I have had to watch that many, many times.

"Please look decent, please look decent, please look decent... here we go... aaaaaaand ARRRGHHH, THE CHEEKBONES! WHY?! RESTART!"
Worst is when you get the creators that are face on only, so you get a great look... and the second you see them from anything other than directly facing you, it all falls apart.