5 Animated Disney Movies That Would Make Big Live-Action Successes

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
5 Animated Disney Movies That Would Make Big Live-Action Successes

Since Disney seems to be in the business of making live-action adaptions of animated classics, I've got a few suggestions for them.

Read Full Article

jjofearth

Feb 3, 2009
A Jafar-POV is already a thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-77cUxba-aA

In the style of Wicked, by Starkid (who did A Very Potter Musical)

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
I would be all for a live-action version of Mulan if it were like a good Jet Li movie except with a badass female lead.

WiseBass

Apr 29, 2011
1. I'd be really bummed if they tried to turn Jafar - scheming, clever, oozing manipulative Jafar - into some type of Poor Misunderstood Villain. Couldn't you just make Aladdin the live-action movie, and use that as a means to cast two young Middle East/South Asian actors in leading roles? Or since we now have to pander to the Chinese censorship board, go with the original's "set in China" element (I'm not joking about that - the original Aladdin is set in a fictionalized, muslim-ized version of China).

2. In order to not make this weird, you'd have to really go similar to the original tale of The Little Mermaid: a mermaid wants the opportunity to get a soul, and apparently marrying/seducing a human is part of the deal to get it.

. . . Even then, I think it's going to be bad.

I would be all for a live-action version of Mulan if it were like a good Jet Li movie except with a badass female lead.
I'd love to see a live-action Mulan film.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I don't think they should try to make the Maleficent lightning strike twice. They might be able to get some mileage out of a reimagining of The Little Mermaid, particularly if they flesh out the mythology a bit.

ricree

Mar 8, 2014
jjofearth said:
A Jafar-POV is already a thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-77cUxba-aA

In the style of Wicked, by Starkid (who did A Very Potter Musical)
I'd planned to post this, but it looks like you beat me to it.

All I can do is second your suggestion that everyone go watch it as soon as they possibly can.

WiseBass said:
1. I'd be really bummed if they tried to turn Jafar - scheming, clever, oozing manipulative Jafar - into some type of Poor Misunderstood Villain.
I can understand your point, and I might even agree with you if I hadn't liked the show jjofearth just posted so much.

LordBojangles

Feb 25, 2009
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Jingle Ma attempted something like that:
Mulan (2009) Trailer [http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc4mmg_mulan-2009-trailer_shortfilms]

JennAnge

May 15, 2012
I clicked on the link to the 'monstrosity' mentioned in 2.
Empires of the deep. Why have I not seen this yet?? I NEED to watch this movie next time I get really bummed out and/or tired. Call over some friends, break out the booze and the rotten tomatoes- is it on Netflix?
(Google...)
'As of October 2012, no date had been set for theatrical release.[3]'

Bummer.

The Black Cauldron idea has legs, methinks.

As for Lady and the Tramp, if the absolute HORDE of animated dog movies out there is any indication, it is indeed a no-brainer.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
All I can think of with a live-action Lady and the Tramp is that completely forgettable attempt at 101 Dalmatians.

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Heck, may as well cast Mulan's original actress in the role. The only problem is that we wouldn't understand why she doesn't just kick Shan Yu into orbit 30 minutes into the movie.

(For those who don't get the joke, the actress was Ming-Na Wen, who is now playing Agent May in Agents of SHIELD.)

More on-topic, I would watch the hell out of that Toy Story spinoff. Maybe even do it Mystery Science Theater-style, with the toys as a shadow audience heckling the films.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Expanding on that (quite frankly pretty damn brilliant) Toy Story idea- what if they went with the MST3K angle, and had the Toys riffing on said movies as they watch them? Hell, even just Hamm and Mr. Potato Head snarking on both movies together would be golden! Perhaps Bonnie and her family have gone away on holiday, and the bored Toys are taking advantage of the Netflix subscription while they know they aren't going to get disturbed, and they stumble across these movies...

EDIT: Dammit, ninja'd

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
That actually sounds freaking awesome... DISNEY, Y U NO SKIM FORUMS FOR IDEAZ?

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
There's no way Disney would make a live-action movie with Jafar as the protagonist. Because a film with a middle-eastern man as the main character would never sell these days, even if he DOES turn out evil in the end.

Yeah, The Little Mermaid hasn't aged that well now that people have started picking its story apart. The Nostalgia Chick aside, there's also this:
"She Swells Seashells" *snicker*

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
If they also adapted it to the current view of dark and gritty I would love to see a live action The Black Cauldron. I loved the move when I was a kid, and now they I know the name of the book(s?) it is based off I'm going to see if I also like it.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea? Maleficent was kind of dumb, and I'm tired of Disney milking its renaissance years. How about Disney brings back its traditional animation studio? Or how about they just make something new? Just make something new Disney. I'm tired of the same soulless retreads.

*sigh*

I'm going to go back to being bitter.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Before I even clicked on the article, I thought "Black Cauldron."

I grew up on those books. But then, I thought about that other series I grew up on, and what happened to it:

vid87

May 17, 2010
I don't know if it's completely applicable, but I wish they'd get to doing a Kingdom Hearts movie. I just wonder if some recent iterations like the new Maleficent retroactively nullifies the old one in terms of visibility and preference.