Slick Companion App & Capital Ships for Elite: Dangerous at Launch

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Slick Companion App & Capital Ships for Elite: Dangerous at Launch

The Escapist[/I] that he "had not compromised" his vision. For more on the development of the game, and more from Braben, look forward to an Escapist piece on the game's premiere in the next few days. If you've not heard about Elite: Dangerous, Escapist staff have very much enjoyed the game, including giving it one of our best of E3 2014 awards. [www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11688-Elite-Dangerous-Oculus-Support-Puts-You-in-Infinity]

A portion of the launch event, including both major announcements, was streamed on twitch.tv - you can watch that right here. [http://www.twitch.tv/elitedangerous/b/591647650] Footage of the capital ship starts at about 57 minutes.

Disclosure: Travel and accommodations provided by Frontier Developments.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I'm sure I saw videos of this made by early players a number of weeks ago, answering distress calls from faction capitol ships etc. Not sure if they ran away if things didn't go well but I saw players trying to save/kill them and fighting each other and NPCs, maybe its an expansion on that content or something.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Sounds interesting. Good luck to FD in their endeavor. Also, I think the bigger ass kicker than that announcement that they would be dropping SP was there terrible refund policy. Turns out, a whole lot of people were looking forward to the offline portion more than the online portion (not a majority, just a whole lot) and then they wouldn't give you a refund if you had played in any of the betas. Last I heard they were rethinking their return policy, which has bought them some time from the faux-pa of lying to people up until only a month before the game came out and enjoying all that money people were throwing at them.

Also: "Slick Companion App"? I may be in the minority here, but I have never spoken to anyone who liked companion apps to games. I know I never liked it. I think they may be confusing number of downloads with people actually enjoying the use of said apps. But, that is just my opinion on the matter.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
No SP, no sale. Devs need to learn that alot of their customers had enough with Diablo and Sim City, online only doesn't work.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
RicoADF said:
No SP, no sale. Devs need to learn that alot of their customers had enough with Diablo and Sim City, online only doesn't work.
Sales and continuing popularity of Diablo at least would beg to differ. There is a MP/online only market out there and it is quite profitable.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Makabriel said:
Sales and continuing popularity of Diablo at least would beg to differ. There is a MP/online only market out there and it is quite profitable.
Some people are so addicted to their favorite franchise that they will play anything. There's no reason that having an offline mode (other than so they can kill the game later) for when they want to shut down the servers. Even a simple BF1942/CSS style bot fight.
Also the fact that there's people that pay for it doesn't remove the fact there are also alot that wont.

EDIT: Which you can see in the posts above, most people are saying "f$%# that!"

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011

OT: Its a shame that both this and Star Citizen have decided to focus on EVE style multiplayer. For a second there I was thinking I would buy a new flight stick and binge on space exploration, but there is no way in hell I'm putting up with other players harassing me and breaking my shit 24/7.

RicoADF said:
I'm sure the game is reeling from those four lost sales.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Well, the Online Only thing is annoying... but does anyone know if you can experience the whole game without having to deal with trolling asshats?

Durendal5150

Jan 19, 2014
major_chaos said:
OT: Its a shame that both this and Star Citizen have decided to focus on EVE style multiplayer. For a second there I was thinking I would buy a new flight stick and binge on space exploration, but there is no way in hell I'm putting up with other players harassing me and breaking my shit 24/7.
RicoADF said:
This seems to crop up a lot. in response to rico, it's always online because, as chaos says, it's an MMO. That said, mostly to chaos, it is an MMO with the ability to turn other players off, essentially. So the "Always online singleplayer" thing is more simply you flagging the server to never send your client data about what other players ships are doing. Though they still can interact with you via the economy/missions/faction events; you'll never actually see or directly interact with them.

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
Shinkicker444 said:
Well, the Online Only thing is annoying... but does anyone know if you can experience the whole game without having to deal with trolling asshats?
They can't sell you cool looking custom ships to show off to your friends online if you're playing offline..

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
RicoADF said:
This game sounded really awesome to me, but since no offline single player, I also have no interest in this.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
BloodRed Pixel said:
the abandoning of offline singleplay mode killed this game for me ayway, so who cares.
QFT As a backer of this game i feel especially cheated. As far as im concerned they can stuff their Iphone apps and capitol ships where the sun don't shine!

andago

Jan 24, 2012
RicoADF said:
I'd say the MMO community would disagree with you on that one. What I think you mean is that it doesn't work for you, and for some other people. It does, however, work very well for a different group of people and they I'm presuming will continue to play and enjoy this game.

Durendal5150

Jan 19, 2014
008Zulu said:
Seems like "No Single Player - MMO only" is the new DRM.
Ultima Online: 17 years ahead of its time.

That kinda invokes poe's law; are we really at the point of assuming devs are choosing to make multiplayer games solely for DRM reasons?

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
major_chaos said:

RicoADF said:
I'm sure the game is reeling from those four lost sales.
But with Star Citizen you can do that... First it has a single player campaign not requiring a connection (but if you want with drop in/drop out multiplayer like the Souls games) and secondly you can make your own server with just yourself and no other player anywhere.

Edit: Judging from the tumultuous forums of SC I'm even sure that there will be a large number of people who are gonna make a kind of mirror of the official universe with just PvP disabled.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
major_chaos said:

Worth noting that there's a fully singleplayer "Solo" mode that only connects to the internet briefly every few minutes to update station inventories, kills, credit balance, etc.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
BloodRed Pixel said:
the abandoning of offline singleplay mode killed this game for me ayway, so who cares.
I was interested than I heard about this. It was a promised feature. Glad I didn't spend any money on it.