NBC's State of Affairs Is No Followup to The Blacklist

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
NBC's State of Affairs Is No Followup to The Blacklist

State of Affairs plays like NBC wanted to remake 24 as a Shonda Rhimes show... and without Shonda Rhimes, it just doesn't work.

Read Full Article

vid87

May 17, 2010
I'm kind've surprised we can still use the term "limping back to television" when in some cases it's become more enticing and profitable than ever. Hollywood will always hold appeal, granted, but I don't know if TV is quite the death-trap it used to be (unless you're on Lifetime or Hallmark in which case, unless you're still doing other things at the same time, you're essentially banished from the public eye forever).

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
I've watched this show because even though her career was self-torpedoed there is still some love for her looks (yes, sometimes I follow that other part of my body instead of my brain). But I was like: 'Meh, just another sort of 24 copy'. If they put a bit more emphasis on the other people in her team it might work.

I'm going to watch the first 5 episode for a true verdict but here's hoping to a bit more than just the Katherine-Heigl-is-the-centre-of-the-universe vibe it's currently going for.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
vid87 said:
I'm kind've surprised we can still use the term "limping back to television" when in some cases it's become more enticing and profitable than ever. Hollywood will always hold appeal, granted, but I don't know if TV is quite the death-trap it used to be (unless you're on Lifetime or Hallmark in which case, unless you're still doing other things at the same time, you're essentially banished from the public eye forever).
If an actor's good enough at what they do, given the right material, they can kill it on the big and small screens. Case in point, James Spader, male lead on (surprise, surprise!) The Blacklist. Dude's been back and forth between TV and movies ( i.e. Stargate) and he'll scare the crap out of us next summer in Avengers:Age of Ultron.
Cpt. Slow said:
I've watched this show because even though her career was self-torpedoed there is still some love for her looks (yes, sometimes I follow that other part of my body instead of my brain). But I was like: 'Meh, just another sort of 24 copy'. If they put a bit more emphasis on the other people in her team it might work.
24? My first thought was it being a knock-off of Homeland, right down to the reasonably-attractive blonde lead with take-no-crap attitude, in-your-face communication style, and questionable sanity/skill at her job.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
24? My first thought was it being a knock-off of Homeland, right down to the reasonably-attractive blonde lead with take-no-crap attitude, in-your-face communication style, and questionable sanity/skill at her job.
Yeah. That seems like its own genre trying to cram half a dozen shows in the same niche. I'd be more interested to see something like Joan Allen from the Jason Bourne movies. It's much more convincing that the man/woman in charge of intelligence operations are older, more experienced and grizzled veterans. A young, aggressive (attractive) go-getter can be compelling, but I have more fun watching them scrape up from the bottom, not middle-management. Part of what makes House of Cards great in my eyes is watching the people at all different levels fighting for influence and advancement. The melodrama of the fiance is too much for center stage.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I watched the first episode of this and it feels like The Blacklist would have without James Spader, for I doubt anyone could pull off Reddington like he does.