Gone Home Developer Reveals Next Game: Tacoma

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Gone Home Developer Reveals Next Game: Tacoma

Fullbright's follow-up to 2013's indie hit Gone Home is coming in 2016.

The first entirely new game has been announced at tonight's Game Awards, and it's Tacoma, from Gone Home developer The Fullbright Company. So far, all we have is this extremely brief teaser trailer, but we can see that it takes place in a lunar transfer station... and it comes out in 2016.

The Fullbright Company was founded several years ago by released Gone Home [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117155-BioShock-Veterans-Unveil-Gone-Home] to general critical acclaim in 2013.

With Tacoma's release over a year away, we have a long wait in store before we get more details about the mysterious game. We'll have more news from The Game Awards throughout the night.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
And I'm sure if it turns out to be just as boring as Gone Home, you'll be a racist or something (whatever they'll be using to shield themselves from criticism), especially like when you point out that after they market the game as some sort of surreal sci-fi mystery or something, it's another pile o' cliches. Sure I'm just spitballing here, but it's not like they didn't do it before.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
LysanderNemoinis said:
And I'm sure if it turns out to be just as boring as Gone Home, you'll be a racist or something (whatever they'll be using to shield themselves from criticism), especially like when you point out that after they market the game as some sort of surreal sci-fi mystery or something, it's another pile o' cliches. Sure I'm just spitballing here, but it's not like they didn't do it before.
Yeah thats the thing. It looks like it could be a cool scifi thing but after Gone Home's bait and switch I kind of have to take this with a grain of salt.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
So unlike Gone Home, will this game have anything resembling gameplay? *shrug* Who knows? Who cares? Most certainly no one at Polygon, Kotaku, etc.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Looks quite interesting to me even with this limited reveal. Setting an atmospheric experience in a science fiction setting is a pretty cool next step for the company. Good stuff and I'm eager to hear more.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
Gone Home was... interesting in it's own kind of way (though I still can't shake the feeling that you know, maybe digging up all that stuff and leaving a bunch of it out in the open may have been a bit of a bad idea, or at least a disservice to the player character's sister's wishes), but I'm less worried about another game with a lack of gameplay than I am that this one will have gameplay but get drowned out because "Astronaut trying to survive on their own in an abandoned/damaged space station" is starting to become the Flavor of the Month. It started with Gravity, and now it's spread to everything else, and Tacoma and Adrift certainly aren't helping the problem.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
A Virgin-Tesla Facility
Okay, this made me laugh for some reason.

Anyways, can't get hyped for a walking simulator. Sorry dev, the MC being a women doesn't really many anything if the gameplay is almost non-existing.

EDIT: Okay, I didn't really explain that rigth. If the story ends up being great. If the setting ends up great. If the atmosphere ends up being great. If exploration is actually rewarded similar to mystery/crime games... I could see myself enjoying it. But that's a lot of if's and the previous game didn't deliver in any way so that's what I mean I can't get hyped.
If it's a walking simulator, then make a god damne extremely good and alive worlds because that's the only thing you're doing.

That being said, the station (I assume that's what it is) is looking pretty good.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Well, unlike Dear Esther, at least Gone Home had some sense of atmosphere, exploration and even problem solving. I can only hope that the game is more like that and less of a walking simulator. That being said, I probably wouldn't shell out the money for it if it's like Gone Home. That game had like, zero replayability.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Gone Home in space? I'm in.
Loved their first game and I'm pretty sure I'll love this too, haters be damned.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
As much as I liked the art and atmosphere of Gone Home, it was not worth the 50% off for what amounted to around two hours of walking around in clicheville. Magical Diary kept my attention and wanting more for the like six hours of my first playthrough, and that was like 5 bucks during the same sale. And that's full of cliches I'm much more familiar with.

Looks like this is shaping up to be exactly more of the same